Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@nicolas monti

idgames download page

These maps are not just good by chance. They’re clearly well thought out and meticulously executed. The things are placed just right. The layout is elaborate, forcing you back into and through previously visited areas without boredom or frustration (except the lift section, but there’s not much one can do about that, and it is a cool mechanic). An early BFG can always make me nervous about ammo balance, but it was handled just right. There were early moments that called for a well placed BFG shot or two, and then later in the map had a clear use for the big guns.

Bottom line: well balanced for what it is with yet another fun, interactive layout

@([zen3001])

Doomworld forum topic

This map feels like early Doom 2. You run around fighting small hordes of low-tiers with mostly super shotgun. The volume of killed enemies is satisfying because of how efficient you can be, since virtually all of them will fall to one shot from one of your guns, and that even without having a rocket launcher. The detailing, progression, and layout are all basic but serviceable.

Bottom line: Pretty simplistic, but at the end of the day it’s fairly enjoyable Doom.

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

It’s gone in a different direction than a lot of first wads. It’s definitely focused on action, the dynamics of map itself and the encounters, more than strict visual beauty. It’s definitely not pretty, but there definitely seem to be some well thought moments in here. This video was -cl2, so there were some problems. I did go back and play it -cl9, which made a lot more sense and took care of the early ammo issue. I also found the secret.

Bottom line: It’s a first effort, and if it’s any indicator, Magicana may make some somewhat unique maps before all is said and done.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

It’s gone in a different direction than a lot of first wads. It’s definitely focused on action, the dynamics of map itself and the encounters, more than strict visual beauty. It’s definitely not pretty, but there definitely seem to be some well thought moments in here. This video was -cl2, so there were some problems. I did go back and play it -cl9, which made a lot more sense and took care of the early ammo issue. I also found the secret.

Bottom line: It’s a first effort, and if it’s any indicator, Magicana may make some somewhat unique maps before all is said and done.

Thanks for taking the time to do this - Really appreciated it and will try and take feedback on.

Regarding the comp levels, looks like you had a similar experience to my testing in Chocolate Doom - Definitely something to keep in mind for anything I do in future.

Edited by Magicana

@nicolas monti

idgames download page

This one has many similarities to M5, but I didn’t get brutally lost this time. There were a few unfair encounters that left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, but most of the combat was a lot of fun and it’s another spectacular vanilla layout that you really enjoy being in.

Bottom line: Besides a few incredibly cheap moments, a great penultimate map

Edited by HAK3180

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

idgames download page

This one has many similarities to M5, but I didn’t get brutally lost this time. There were a few unfair encounters that left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, but most of the combat was a lot of fun and it’s another spectacular vanilla layout that you really enjoy being in.

Bottom line: Besides a few incredibly cheap moments, a great penultimate map

Yep, that was what I was talking about, wey to hard traps, if you don't know what's coming you're certainly dead, aslo that caco /barons trap needs BFG preloading, I'd make things different now, those were the early days and still a lot to learn nowadays!

@joepallai, Oh, I see your own wad has PNAMES and TEXTURE1. In there were the normal Doom 2 skies. Alright, should be good to play now.

@nicolas monti

idgames download page

You would probably only guess this to be vanilla by the outskirt walls, which are somewhat bare, because this is a well detailed map, whose beauty is always just the right level of noticeable. The overall flow and design are just as clever – lots of ways to get around and lots of ways the monsters can kill you.

Bottom line: ingenious intricate design with effective encounters

@joepallai

Doomworld forum topic (project thread)

There ends up being a lot more to this map than you might think, and it unfolds a bit differently, since it starts in a cavern and then goes to a big open area, but you spend a lot of time in tighter indoor spaces. Those tighter indoor spaces are fierce - a lot of good surprises that aren't traps per se. It's also a very good map visually. Some might be surprised that this is vanilla. I think it's got a good ammo balance too. There are a lot of rockets, but you can't overuse them in the interior. There's enough plasma to bail you out of a few tense situations but not to spam endlessly. The map is a little bit mysterious, boasting lots of secrets and an unnecessary key (I think). I like it, and I like where this project appears to be going.

Bottom line: The map didn't really do what I expected, but that might have been for the better.

Thank you so much @HAK3180 for you detailed and thorough review.   Sorry about that spot where you ended up getting stuck, I'll fix that immediately as well as a texture alignment you pointed out and a misplaced texture that I noticed while you played.   

I was worried about health and ammo on UV, so your comments are appreciated there.   Also watching how you went to the red pillars makes me realize now those should be changed.   Your review and demo gave me lots to think about and reconsider before the deadline, so it is much appreciated.   

Took on board your feedback and pumped out another map - This time tech-base with a more gentle difficulty curve and plenty of ammo.

I'd love to have your feedback on my first map, Torn. I've gotten positive feedback so far.

It will push your upper time limit. Average real life play time is around 3 hours. Saving regularly tends to keep that down. It's a slaughter map, but considered easy in the genre. 

On 6/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, MarketAnarchy said:

[Torn]

I will at least attempt this, but probably on Hey, Not Too Rough, and I may not complete it or I may start cheating like crazy just to get through it. Long slaughter is not something I enjoy, but I will try to comment "objectively."

40 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I will at least attempt this, but probably on Hey, Not Too Rough, and I may not complete it or I may start cheating like crazy just to get through it. Long slaughter is not something I enjoy, but I will try to comment "objectively."

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

I would say that there's tons of invulnerabilities (some are in secrets) and you should be able to use them to beat the "hard" fights on UV.

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

It is a map of sections – basically two hubs. The first hub has some preliminary fodder rooms, one of which leads to the second hub, which leads to three rooms that each give up a key. And the exit is also off the second hub. So the layout is a pretty simple idea, but it is one that works. I appreciate a little bit of quick exploration at the beginning. There are some good ideas with how the map unfolds and the action/encounters in some spots. Execution isn’t always there, but thought is being put into gameplay. Visually, it could stand to be improved. Light flats are especially egregious in their prominence and in their odd cutoffs.

Bottom line: There’s a lot of room for growth, but you can kinda tell that the growth will happen

On 6/30/2019 at 6:24 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

It is a map of sections – basically two hubs. The first hub has some preliminary fodder rooms, one of which leads to the second hub, which leads to three rooms that each give up a key. And the exit is also off the second hub. So the layout is a pretty simple idea, but it is one that works. I appreciate a little bit of quick exploration at the beginning. There are some good ideas with how the map unfolds and the action/encounters in some spots. Execution isn’t always there, but thought is being put into gameplay. Visually, it could stand to be improved. Light flats are especially egregious in their prominence and in their odd cutoffs.

Bottom line: There’s a lot of room for growth, but you can kinda tell that the growth will happen

Again, thank you for the play through with extended commentary - You are very right about those light flats - I was looking at them but wasn't sure how to utilise them better - But I have a few ideas for future maps now.

Just with the exit door and the demons, the demons aren't intended to be a problem. There are shotgunners who teleport in behind you once you engage the demons, however you crushed them (As intended). I figured it would be about 50-50 for people crushing versus not, so a nice little bonus of an easy exit for people who engage with scenery.

The other secret was behind the shotgun in that starting room. Once you use the flashing computer linedef in the next room, a wall drops down with chaingun and box of ammo - A nice ammo bonus mainly seeing as I gave a chaingun in two of the hub rooms.

Lot of good feedback here about encounters as well.

Thanks for the video!

Edited by Magicana

@nicolas monti

idgames download page

This map shines in its somewhat gimmicky moments, like the yellow key trap and the minipuzzle in the nukage. Its layout is nothing special in a wad of stellar layouts, and even some of the combat is just a bit weaker than we’ve seen in this episode.

Bottom line: some fun moments, but overall a lot simpler than the rest of the wad

@HAK3180

Really enjoying your videos. As a new mapper, it's helping me understand how implementation choices are perceived and how design affects gameplay.

Keep up the great work! 

It turns out I have to go away on business, so I won't have any new videos up until Thursday or Friday. Keep posting; I don't mind a bit of a queue. @MarketAnarchy and @Austinado, sorry for the delay. 

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

There are some interesting things here and there. There are some amateur-ish things here and there. This seems like it might end up as one of those proof-of-mapper development mapsets, where you can tell it’s nowhere near acacoward, but it’s also not firstwad material. It really never jumps out at you in any way except the somewhat odd ammo placement – shell heavy and very few rockets.

Bottom line: inexperience is evident, but nothing too bad here

@MarketAnarchy

Part 1

Part 2

Doomworld download page

This is an epic slaughter map, which is pretty much by definition something I don’t like, but it would be disingenuous not to appreciate the product here. First, the design is spectacular. There’s a massive hub that connects all the necessary and unnecessary areas. The hub is distinct enough and varied enough that it’s quite easy to navigate. The only potential issue I had with progress was the unnecessary (I think) keyed doors and the big teleport lift to the blue key that I just didn’t notice. Each physical space had a unique identity and varied combat, yet they were still a part of one whole map, conceptually, and spatially; you never felt like this was half a dozen consecutive maps crammed into one map slot. What I don’t like about this is pretty much all genre-related. Once you get the BFG, you can and should use it for probably 75% of the remaining combat, sometimes in major spam situations. I appreciate the invulnerabilities to preserve my life, but I guess as a norm I prefer fights that have a (more) reasonable chance of survival without. So maybe I’d like easy better, but then again, maybe easy has even more invulnerabilities. And then the length itself just takes its toll on me a bit. As much as it’s different, it still ends up being a lot of the same in the grand scheme. At the end of the day, my overall experience was definitely positive, so don’t let me talk you out of this just because the genre itself is low on my list.

Bottom line: The quality is undeniable. It’s beautiful, well-orchestrated, and should be fairly difficult to get lost in, especially if you actually play it in one sitting. If you like long maps and/or slaughter, this is for you.

Edited by HAK3180

49 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

There are some interesting things here and there. There are some amateur-ish things here and there. This seems like it might end up as one of those proof-of-mapper development mapsets, where you can tell it’s nowhere near acacoward, but it’s also not firstwad material. It really never jumps out at you in any way except the somewhat odd ammo placement – shell heavy and very few rockets.

Bottom line: inexperience is evident, but nothing too bad here

Thanks alot for playing my WAD man...i know i need alot of improvment, i hope the next 4 maps are better...waiting to see them..

Cheers!

Edited by Austinado