Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

You are correct, the red door wasn't supposed to open with the yellow door. Unfortunately I didn't catch it. There are some other bugs in the wad.

I definitely think the map is too long. It has four fights that I really like, but the others are "sloggy." The red/black room with the "don't shoot" fight is my favorite.

You're actually only 5 major fights from the end, so definitely more than 50% through.

Thanks for the playthrough and comments!

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the pace of the map. It tends to push you forward and rewards not recklessness, but some quickness. I somewhat question the ammo/weaponry again. The shells are abundant, but eventually you are asked to use them on some meaty opponents without a super shotgun. But even so, it’s never going to be too much of a grind. And if you leave them alive, like I did, that can really come back to bite you.

Bottom line: Not the best to look at and the idea could be executed better, but this is a fun map with a fast pace

@The Mysterious Moustachio, @A2Rob

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I enjoyed the sense of place and the layout the whole way through. You could explore a little bit, but no two extremities of the map are very far apart. And I like how the map changes and modifies old areas for new fights. I wish there was a little more heat here – I think it’s a little easy for Map 21 on Ultra-Violence, but I think most of that has to do with how many rockets and health pickups there are. Visually, it’s perhaps just a touch “safe,” but it’s beautiful.

Bottom line: A beautiful map with a great layout held back ever so slightly by an abundance of health and rockets

35 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the pace of the map. It tends to push you forward and rewards not recklessness, but some quickness. I somewhat question the ammo/weaponry again. The shells are abundant, but eventually you are asked to use them on some meaty opponents without a super shotgun. But even so, it’s never going to be too much of a grind. And if you leave them alive, like I did, that can really come back to bite you.

Bottom line: Not the best to look at and the idea could be executed better, but this is a fun map with a fast pace

Once again, thanks alot for playing my WAD, The purpose was from starting map getting the weapons...there is a Rocket Launcher in a secret after the first portal...where the two Cacodemons are in the cage. Glad at least you had fun. Waiting for the last 3 maps with joy. Thanks!

If you don't mind, please remove the video from these quotes:

@nicolas monti

@Austinado

No need to acknowledge this request, as I will delete it as soon as you've "complied" ;)

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

If you've played a lot of pwads from lots of people with lots of different levels of mapping experience, you're not too excited to hear, "This is my third map; it's called 'Sewer.' " But this is not the typical heavily influenced by Plutonia Map 28 affair. It does have mazy parts, but they don't dominate the level at all. Action is not bad. Tight spaces are used decently well; the more open spaces aren't so bad either. Visually, it's not bad and it's not great. Some custom textures add a little bit, but there are some odd transitions/angles.

Bottom line: Magicana's short maps that try new things bode well for future success.

Edited by HAK3180

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

I like the start, the overall layout, and most of the progression. I didn’t particularly like this use of a mandatory secret or this use of a Spiderdemon. I also thought the ammo balance heavily favored the super shotgun, and the battles didn’t take you away from it too much (some, yes). There’s some good combat here, but most of the barons are grindy, and a lot of sections are easily retreatable.

Bottom line: Nothing great here, but adequate layout and a fun start may pique your interest.

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

These maps don't really have a niche, which is not necessarily a bad thing. This one has another fairly interesting progression with a few high points and a few low points. There's definitely some thought put into the specific encounters.

Bottom line: Another fun layout, more pretty standard Doom

@xxWeNxx

Doomworld forum topic

This map has a level of polish that you don’t normally see so early in a mapping career, including a knack for good layouts/spatial appropriateness, just enough visual detail not to be noticed negatively or positively, and a little bit of vanilla trickery. The thing to work on most is combat. I liked the beginning and the imp trap and the ending had potential. A couple of the other encounters allowed Doomguy too much space to maneuver and nullify the threat.

Bottom line: You can’t ask for too much more in someone’s second map

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

This is probably my least favorite of the wad. The whole maze section fell flat for me, and that was a lot of the map. Some of the progression was a little obscure. The ammo situation is odd yet again. But the somewhat gimmicky parts are pretty cool, like the double cyberdemon fight, the chasm section, and even the last fight.

Bottom line: Most of it is easy, grindy, and a little ugly, but there are some much more fun moments too

If there's room, would you kindly place this one in queue? It's my first map, criticism is greatly appreciated.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

This is probably my least favorite of the wad. The whole maze section fell flat for me, and that was a lot of the map. Some of the progression was a little obscure. The ammo situation is odd yet again. But the somewhat gimmicky parts are pretty cool, like the double cyberdemon fight, the chasm section, and even the last fight.

Bottom line: Most of it is easy, grindy, and a little ugly, but there are some much more fun moments too

Hello, first of all thank you very much for playing my maps. I admire your work, and i follow @Suitepee as well, and thats one of the reasons that im too recording maps/WADs so others can see their work. Im not trying to take nobodie place...and man, this gives alot of work, but at the same time, we have the opportunity to play cool maps and for me the best thing...learn from it. I do have learned alot of thing with @Suitepee and you with your videos, and that is what i want to continue to do. Thank you for the example you give me.

About my maps, yeah they could be much better. I did the maps so the player could start each one of them pistol start, but yes, they are meant to be continuous from the start. The second map, i forgot to mark the Door yellow, the first map the door blue...basic things for sure and the Spider Master Mind i need to work on that. About the ammo...i try to keep the player with ammo, and yes i give to much...need to work on that as well.

The Last map you could pass the bars in one of the portals....it was not tested properly. I have to study more my maps, and perfect them with time...and that is what im planning to do, with SCOURGE V.

Once again thanks alot @HAK3180, and sorry for long time i took to respond.

@mangame5

Doomworld forum topic

It's not very good looking, but it doesn't share much else with a lot of first-time wads. The map has an identity, which is not really a given for a Doom map. I thought there were parts that could use some more pressure and/or different weaponry. I also thought the extreme verticality was not used to its full potential, but I like the boldness to try to execute something a little different, and I like the focus on gameplay over visuals.

Bottom line: Another intriguing debut

23 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Another intriguing debut

Thank you for checking it out, I'll work on the exposed issues. The teleporting imps at the end were more of an accident, as they used the teleporters below in the nukage. They could climb the steps behind the player handling the arachnotrons, but imps always had questionable determination.

17 minutes ago, mangame5 said:

Thank you for checking it out, I'll work on the exposed issues. The teleporting imps at the end were more of an accident, as they used the teleporters below in the nukage. They could climb the steps behind the player handling the arachnotrons, but imps always had questionable determination.

Easy solution for that is to make the linedefs on the teleporter monster blocking.

I liked your map by the way; very steep, but also very interesting design.

15 hours ago, Magicana said:

Easy solution for that is to make the linedefs on the teleporter monster blocking.

I liked your map by the way; very steep, but also very interesting design.

Thanks for the tip and the praise!

So i think finally it's time for me to join the fun. :)

Two maps of GoldenCity are ready to go (the final version will have two more and a hub-level).

No jumping, crouching or freelook, but GZDOOM and the included retres.wad are needed.
MAP01 is a more or less linear adventure with some surprises (about 45 minutes), Map02 is an "open world" map wich allows the player from the start to enter each area and play those in any sequence (about 35 minutes). 

@theDia

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the layout. There’s a fun mix of indoor and outdoor action, the indoor stuff being pretty tight, the outdoor space being wide open. Overall, I felt the map was under populated. The densest fight involved a bunch of demons that were really no problem because they could never come near you. Because of the vast space, the few enemies, and the loads of switches and cutscenes, this map feels less like an FPS to me and more like a third person RPG-type game. I did not particularly enjoy running around the map not really knowing where I was going or what the switches were doing. I also skipped the ending because after finally making it to the end, the last thing I wanted to do was run around the whole map again.

Bottom line: it’s a cool layout but a little bit empty and the progression could be more intuitive.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@theDia

Doomworld forum topic

I did not particularly enjoy running around the map not really knowing where I was going or what the switches were doing. I also skipped the ending because after finally making it to the end, the last thing I wanted to do was run around the whole map again.

First of all -thanks for playing. You're absolutely right, I have to fiddle a bit with the progression of the map. In between I finalized map02 (which uses an open world theme) and this is a lot more fun, because of a different approach.

Map01 was started in a time when ZDoom was the hot shit (around 2002) and so I crammed anything in it that was available back then. Also it was planned as part of Eternal Doom IV so thats why it is so RPGish.

There are a lot of things that will change/go now that I have three playthroughs from different players with different playing styles to get hints from - what off course will go first are the "Three Stooges" at the end. ;)

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: it’s a cool layout but a little bit empty and the progression could be more intuitive.

Will be - will be. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to play. Testers like you are a great help in creating those adventures...

If you could do Mine next , it would be very appreciated. 

Edited by Finnthemapmaker

I'm working in another vanilla megawad, I'd like to hear your comments and feedback. 

This has two maps, map02 and map04, no new music added yet, just WIP. The maps are small flooded with low tiers, they take 5-10 minutes, easy in appereance but can get very violent!

MAP02: Pragian

MAP04: Eifelian

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jzlhc1hub81wakj/pragian-eifelian.wad

Also thanks for reviewing favillesco Amalthea, it helps for getting better at mapping!

Edited by nicolas monti

I put MWMC in the other guy's thread so I guess I'll put it here. A series of 30 short challenge maps. Not too difficult, you might die like 2-3 times overall unless a particular level is uniquely challenging for you. It's weird, and amateurish, but I'm fascinated by how people react to it. Takes around two hours to complete. Crouching is unfortunately required. Made for Doom II with GZDoom, or similar source ports (zandronum, qzdoom etc)

I won't be disappointed if you stop part way through or don't pick it up at all, but i will be pleasantly surprised if you playtest to the conclusion.

MWMC.zip

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

@EtherBot, are all the maps that require crouching identified like in Map 02?

No. There's only the one sign, but the rest of the crouching "puzzles" are impossible to miss.