Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Magicana said:

 

I started doing my own playthrough, and quickly found out that map 2 is in slot map03!

 

Hey Magicana, thank you for noticing, I think I didn't save the mapinfo. I've updated the link. Should work now :)

 

Cheers :)

Share this post


Link to post

@nicolas monti

 

download the .wad


This is how to do a linear map. You made few decisions as to which way to go, but the whole map is pretty much before you from the start. The way it all connects and you reuse space is excellent.

 

Bottom line: More of the same, which is a fun, interactive, memorable layout and simple but aggressive Doom 1 combat

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

 

This is how to do a linear map. You made few decisions as to which way to go, but the whole map is pretty much before you from the start. The way it all connects and you reuse space is excellent.

 

Bottom line: More of the same, which is a fun, interactive, memorable layout and simple but aggressive Doom 1 combat

Thanks buddy, noticing some things to fix you didn't notice and also I'm cutting down a bit that teleport cliché for the next maps!

 

EDIT: On emsian, the previous map, you won't be able to camp up the elevator in the last section for the final version and that switch will be fixed, thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

you won't be able to camp up the elevator in the last section

 

Yeah, I hated to have to do that, but I was wrecked at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

 

Yeah, I hated to have to do that, but I was wrecked at that point.

A larger lift activated with a switch deep in its alcove with its floor 24 units lower than its upper room and more stimpacks will keep the player at the lower level with more chances also.

Share this post


Link to post

@Chris Hansen

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

My mind sometimes binds Ultimate Doom to vanilla, especially in these clear tributes/emulations to those levels, usually E1 levels. This one is Boom, and while I didn’t notice any Boom-specific features, there was a little more polish than Knee Deep in the Dead had. Nothing against folks’ efforts to make those absolute tributes to ’93, misalignments and everything, but it’s nice to see something like this too. The map itself was over a little too quickly for me because I was enjoying it. The layout is good, the detailing is good, and the variety is there. Combat seems to bridge the gap between 93 and now; it’s not ridiculously easy but it’s not something that will punish you if you blaze through it and/or are not a stellar player.

 

Bottom line: nothing you haven’t seen before, but it’s quality nostalgic Doom 1.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the review @HAK3180! Lots to be learned from your playthrough and I totally understand all the points you made about the map. I couldn't agree more.

 

Btw, I intented Gore to be 4 maps, but it's only 2. The other two maps were never finished... at least not by me, that is. The episode 4 themed map will appear in 2022ADO instead - finished and polished by @pcorf.

 

The blue key secret in this map is just an oldschool homage and as you pointed out: For the explorers and nostalgics out there.

Too bad you didn't find it. You looked right into the switch that opens a passage to the blue door. Slow down a bit and maybe zoom in your map (you can see the switch in an indent in the wall) :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@EtherBot

 

download the .zip

 

It’s a big simple maze of right angles, blue, red, and way too much space for the monsters to be much of a threat. I just have no desire to fight anything, so I just run through the map.

 

Bottom line: Nothing to it

Share this post


Link to post

@HAK3180 haha excellent playtest so far. I dont think you're very concerned about spoilers. That level has two exits, one is behind those signs, and continues on to the rest of the 11 following maps.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry for the delay, folks. I should have more videos up Wednesday night. @Capellan, I'd be happy to give Spectrum a whirl - probably Hurt Me Plenty pistol starts.

Share this post


Link to post

Glad to see that you're still at it, HAK3180. I've been sitting on this too long, so I finally gave Shotgun Symphony an official release today. Here's hoping you give it a whirl!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

My first release of any mapping effort is coming in a 3 Map wad called Acid Reflex. Would love for you to give the first map whirl! (Second is still in an early stage). Jumping & Crouching is not required and will be removed at some point. And I have only tested this in GZDooM v3.4. There are custom textures and a custom monster.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub5kmkeyvnw7udd/Acid Reflex.wad?dl=0

(My name is pronounced as in Ray-biz)

Share this post


Link to post

@Austinado

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Not too long a map but a decent-sized space that’s used/populated fairly well. I thought the beginning may have been a little harsh and the room with hitscanners in complete darkness was cheap, but most of the combat was fun enough and seemed like some thought went into it. The map’s not a ton to look at. The realistic touches don’t work too well, and there could be more attention given to little things like transitions and alignment.

 

Bottom line: despite some custom touches, it’s kinda just undistinguished Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

Not too long a map but a decent-sized space that’s used/populated fairly well. I thought the beginning may have been a little harsh and the room with hitscanners in complete darkness was cheap, but most of the combat was fun enough and seemed like some thought went into it. The map’s not a ton to look at. The realistic touches don’t work too well, and there could be more attention given to little things like transitions and alignment.

 

Bottom line: despite some custom touches, it’s kinda just undistinguished Doom.

 

Hello, thanks for playing my 3rd Wad ;) . Yeah that was the first time i have done a WAD with custom monsters...and those SSG were cheap. Other playtester said the same, and i have learned my lesson. For my 5th WAD (SCOURGEV) im thinking in using custom monsters once again...oh well. This time ill try to use it properly... I saw you playing my 2nd WAD, thanks for that too. YEah, as you can see im no mapper brain...but im trying to do something...little by little. 

Share this post


Link to post

@Capellan

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

You just work your way through the tech base and kill all the humans, and there are quite a few, it seems. No complaints yet.

 

Bottom line: Simple little opener with a fairly high density

Share this post


Link to post

@Rhebiz

 

download the .wad

 

 

 

The barons of hell are not used in such a way that I enjoy. The secrets I found were a touch boring, and seeing as I never saw an area or item that looked like it was accessible only via secret, I’m guessing the other two were just supply closets as well. But other than those points, this is a good debut. Level flow is good. There’s some nice visual detailing. Combat is not too bad besides the barons (and some people don’t like fighting revenants without a super shotgun; I’m not one of them). Some places are a little empty.

 

Bottom line: Not a bad first thing to put out: competent and coherent

Share this post


Link to post

@Casketkrusher

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

This thing feels a little bit like Zolgia108’s Djinn project, kinda creepy with some custom content. I thought the layout was pretty well done minus perhaps a bit too much teleporting. Visually, it’s thematic and cohesive, though it could use a little polish. There are some clever combat points, including barrels, damaging floor, and tight spaces.

 

Bottom line: decent layout and aura with some easy-to-fix potentially confusing elements

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

[The Review]

Thank you for the playthrough! I understand all of the critiques made and I will cut down on the Barons as well. Overall really liked all of the things that you had to say about it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: Simple little opener with a fairly high density

 

Thanks for playing.  Interesting to see how different moments in the map work for different people.  Pleased with the way you found yourself quite busy when you came back down the lift :)

 

"Simple" doesn't last long in this set  :)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Casketkrusher

 

Doomworld forum topic

 

This thing feels a little bit like Zolgia108’s Djinn project, kinda creepy with some custom content. I thought the layout was pretty well done minus perhaps a bit too much teleporting. Visually, it’s thematic and cohesive, though it could use a little polish. There are some clever combat points, including barrels, damaging floor, and tight spaces.

 

Bottom line: decent layout and aura with some easy-to-fix potentially confusing elements

Thank you for playing, I actually got someone else say the same about the switches, I did it on purpuse because when a platform is for example unaccesable you'll have to find a switch to deactivate that, so I was thinking why not make them SW2 instead. But I gotta change that for confusing sake. Gotta fix some small issues. Also you might be right with the teleporter in the big room, I might add a tunnel :) appreciate it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×