Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Midi --> MP3?

Best way I've found it to convert the MIDI files into WAV, then encode the WAV into MP3.

If you want the WAVE file to sound exactly like the MIDI file does, then the only way to do this (and the easiest overall method), is to open up an application to play the MIDI file and open up an application which will allow you to record the piece as a WAVE file. Then hit 'record' on the WAVE application and 'play' on the MIDI player.

Use LAME to encode the WAV into an MP3.

Archie, send me the MIDI's, I'll send them back as MP3, or OGG (superior open source format) if you prefer.

By the way, I didn't finish BBG's Final Doom MP3 request because I couldn't get the garbage-poor MIDIs to sound decent on the quality instrument samples. I just remembered now. Sorry.

How do you want me to send them? Do you have AIM, or would you rather have me send them on e-mail?

Thanks a lot.

So I can place them on this little device called an "mp3 player" so I can listen to them when I'm out and about?

If you get wingroove, it has a pretty decent midi --> wav converter, and it takes only a few seconds on a file.

I use something called Timidity for this, but I've never tried any other thing so I wouldn't be able to say if it's good comparitively or not.

I went to the Timidity++ home page, but it looked a lot of geeky Unix undocumented command-line user-unfriendly garbage, so I left.

AndrewB said:

I went to the Timidity++ home page, but it looked a lot of geeky Unix undocumented command-line user-unfriendly garbage, so I left.

Ignore my bitching and moaning

AndrewB said:

Yeah, I must admit it can be a bit of a bitch until you know how to use it, and while the version I have does come with a GUI, said GUI is really not much easier than typing command lines.

go to the winamp forums and search midi to wave, they give the BEST TOTORIAL EVER on how to do this, really

Bah, this is getting rediculous.

- WinGroove will only make a 30 second .wav unless I register it, which I do not want to do.

- MidiG needs SB16

- Timidity++ requires that I understand technical jargon just to freaking install it. Oh, and a 22 meg installation file too. No thanks.

- ModPlug just sucks, it won't even open MIDI files.

- AndrewB still hasn't responded.

Why the fuck is there not just a program that converts .mid to .wav nice and simple?

Wheeee, I got 8 of the 10 midis converted using WinAmp, of all things. The annoying part is, two random MIDIs absolutely refuse to convert, which I don't get at all.

Hey there. I've already done all the MP3's. Will I be able to DCC them to you sometime Wednesday or Thursday when I have high-speed access?

AndrewB said:

Hey there. I've already done all the MP3's. Will I be able to DCC them to you sometime Wednesday or Thursday when I have high-speed access?

Erm...

^_^

Yeah, well, I just sorta did them all. Thanks for taking the time, though. I would normally be more patient but I'm getting my MP3 player tomorrow and I wanted all my ducks in a row so to speak by then.

I even got the ones WinAmp originally do because, as I just discovered, they had quotation marks in their titles and because of that, they wouldn't get saved as WAVs...

Well, all's well that ends well, I hope. Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry that you had to go through all that trouble, AndrewB =(

Umm, I can almost guarantee you that mine will sound way better than yours. Do you have limited dialup speed stuff?

I made mine at 160, and to me they sound fine. I could make them even faster if I wanted, but they sound just fine. Why, what are yours at?

No, I mean mine sound like real instruments. The musical instruments in MIDI files vary depending on what sound card you have. Ever notice how tiny MIDI files are? They're nothing more than a series of commands telling your computer to play sounds at different frequencies. Those sounds representing each musical instrument vary in quality depending on your system.

I've been listening to the MIDI versions of these songs for so long, I actually like them the way they are, but I'm certainly willing to give yours a try.

I don't know about DCCing, cause half the time it doesn't work for me, and I don't know if I'll be able to get to the computer on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how much school work I have. Do you think it'd be a possibility to zip them and e-mail them back to me? If not, I'll try the DCC.

Perhaps I could e-mail them. Shouldn't be a problem. But not until Wednesday probably. Do you want them sent in one e-mail or seperate?

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Well something is wrong, it opens them just fine for me.

That Modplug doesn't open .Mid files for me either. They're not even on the file list!
Are you sure this thing opens them? Maybe they've removed Mid support or something...