Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carnevil

9/11: Too much coverage?

This is all just my opinion. Feel free to agree, disagree, flame, whatever.

No doubt you've all (well, Americans anyway) seen the extensive, EXTENSIVE coverage over the anniversary of 9/11. The coverage has been filled with images of the events that happened that day, and people greiving over the loss of loved ones, or just plain over what happened that day.

Aren't we giving the terrorists what they want?

Obviously the attacks were terrible, the people who did this are evil, blah blah blah. But wasn't the whole point of the attacks to scare us? To cause us grief? To damage our economy? So far it seems like they're succeded greatly on all three counts. My question is, wouldn't it be better to toughen up and not let it bother us, instead of letting it affect us? FORCING it to affect us by constantly playing what happened over and over on TV?

Anyway, discuss.

I definitely have to agree with you, Carnevil. You think that it'd be nice to just try to not dwell on it. I mean Jesus fuck, it's not like I'd forget it happened anyway. And I'm sure people who lost loved ones etc, don't want to be reminded of the day they died every five fucking minutes. People are just milking it to get as much money out of it as they can. But hey, that's how things are in America.

That's another thing: The people who had loved ones inside the towers or the planes that hit the towers. Every time they see the coverage on TV, they have to watch their loved ones die over and over again.

IMJack said:

That's another thing: The people who had loved ones inside the towers or the planes that hit the towers. Every time they see the coverage on TV, they have to watch their loved ones die over and over again.

Everyone has the power to shut off the tv.

But yeah, I do agree, it shouldn't be like this, and making money off of the deaths of innocent people is wrong. That money should be given out to those who lost their loved ones in the attack.

Carnevil said:

My question is, wouldn't it be better to toughen up and not let it bother us, instead of letting it affect us? FORCING it to affect us by constantly playing what happened over and over on TV?

I can understand the seemingly constant coverage of the incident, but there comes a time when people tend to overdo it. If we not let it bother us, it's certain that the terrorists will plan another scheme that surely will.

Aren't we giving the terrorists what they want?

Unfortunately, we are in either way imo.

Lutarez said:

If we not let it bother us, it's certain that the terrorists will plan another scheme that surely will.

I guess it's true either way. If we're not bothered, there's motivation for them to try harder. If we are, there's motivation for them to keep doing it. Oh well :(

Lutarez said:

I can understand the seemingly constant coverage of the incident, but there comes a time when people tend to overdo it. If we not let it bother us, it's certain that the terrorists will plan another scheme that surely will.

Well shit, judging by last year's reaction, I'd say it's rather obvious that pretty much everyone in America was bothered by it.

And I'm not saying a moment of silence or whatever would have been a bad thing. But the way the media is totally overblowing this also bothers me.

orion said:

Everyone has the power to shut off the tv.

But yeah, I do agree, it shouldn't be like this, and making money off of the deaths of innocent people is wrong. That money should be given out to those who lost their loved ones in the attack.

there is a huge fund for the victims of 9/11, but some families aren't accepting the money cause of the strings attached. One such string prohibits the survivors from starting a lawsuit against the airline companies (like it's their fault anyway), or suing anyone/thing in general.

For some reason, I just remembered this part in one of the X-Wing books where they visit this museum on Coruscant and watch a holofilm about how the noble Emperor was killed by the evil rebels when they destroyed his space station. Hmm.

Use3D said:

there is a huge fund for the victims of 9/11, but some families aren't accepting the money cause of the strings attached. One such string prohibits the survivors from starting a lawsuit against the airline companies (like it's their fault anyway), or suing anyone/thing in general.

heh, "take the money and SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

Like I said in another thread, they are blowing this thing way out of proportion.
I have the feeling that they be memorializing this for the next 10 or so years, and using it as a device with which to glean money off of hapless Americans.

It is known that talking about a death/loss is helpful, people pussy foot around a friends grief, when really the best attitude is to talk about it, get it out, work through it. I suppose this is also the same with World grief, plus it's gonna make what happens in the next , what, 3 weeks? seem just. Look out Saddam, Bush just added the word Tyrant to his usual speech about terrorists.

I think people should just do like what happened at my school today.
at the end of the day we just had a 30-minute assembly.I go to a K-12 school, so y'know you got the little kids singing this and that but that is to be expected.Couple of people wrote peoms and recited them and...THAT'S ALL.Short and sweet.It got the point across so folks shouldn't milk it to get money out of something so horrible.

Through the whole process of this memorial, it is all about paying respect to what happened. Obviously, no one would ever forget that day, and I'm certainly sure it will go into history books sooner or later. However, the public associations, especially television networks and other medias, they cannot pretend today is just another normal day to live through and do nothing about it, whether you'd like to discuss about it peacefully, or go all crazy and cuss on those who should be blamed. And, yeah, I agree businessman always love to make some quick cash out of anything huge, taking advantages of anything; well some people are natually greedy no matter under what kind of situation and they cannot be helped =p

We had an assembly at school today also; however, our class didn't go. The teacher played a trick on us, but I did not wish to go anyway 'cause I've heard enough of it already

The level of TV coverage is sheer tasteless propoganda. I know I would certainly not like to be a relative of a victim, given the number of times pictures and coverage are being paraded. A cynic may argue that it is the American way.

the_Danarchist said:
For some reason, I just remembered this part in one of the X-Wing books where they visit this museum on Coruscant and watch a holofilm about how the noble Emperor was killed by the evil rebels when they destroyed his space station. Hmm.

X-Wing Book II: Wedges' Gamble

(I don't read the books, but my brother dose, he was kind enought to point that out to me. cheers Gray Darec)

I think you are looking for is the phrase 'history is written by the winners'

I don't think there's a right or wrong way within reason to deal with 9/11. We just need to do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again, mostly by holding those capable of such a thing or worse to account.

Ct_red_pants said:

X-Wing Book II: Wedges' Gamble

(I don't read the books, but my brother dose, he was kind enought to point that out to me. cheers Gray Darec)

I think you are looking for is the phrase 'history is written by the winners'

Yeah, thats it. I only read the first two books so that would make sense. Also, another good quote (from 1984) would be:

He who controls the present, controls the past
He who controls the past, controls the future

At least, I think thats how it goes.

Stuff like that just makes people more angry. Why can't we all just get along? The only way to make things good is getting rid of currency. If that doesn't exist, people wouldn't bitch about economical problems, but that'll probably stir up more problems...

The Media big buisinesses obviously cant focus on world news, just like during clinton's scandal they couldnt focus on what was happening in the world at that time

Plus the government needs to keep people in a rage so that they will support suspentsion of civil liberties, fascism, Terrorism, and of course war.

I expect the draft to come back

fodders said:

Or adopt the British date format so it would be 11/9 :)

As in a long form of 11-9-2001, I used to use that a lot :)

The modern media is kind of incredible isn't it? They're like this souless machine that just keeps grinding along, never thinking once about what it should or shouldn't do, only what will get them the biggest market share. But that's teh media and you know it'll never change. The only thing we can do is just not watch the news. Or read the paper. Or listen to the radio.... :p