Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spishak Cola

Im probly quite incompetent for not knowing this but...

I cant seem to figure this out...Why can't lagacy play demos properly? When ever I watch demos in Iwads or Pwads they get messed up for some reason...They work fine on Doom95 but, Doom95 isn't as good as Legacy for playing demos (messages, eye candy ect.) also, i use mouse-look on it so I can't view them in Doom95...I'm assuming there is no fix to this but does anyone actually know why this occurs?

-thx-

Demos recorded with Legacy should play back OK with Legacy (as long as it is the same version, although sometimes it works with a similar but not identical version). Demos recorded using other programs are very unlikely to play back OK with Legacy.

If you want to play back doom2.exe demos with the best visual appearance, then the GL version of PrBoom (glBoom) is the best option.

Demos recorded with legacy should play back with it properly. Other demos, especially most of the ones publicly available require doom or prboom, unles specified otherwise.

I know that the demos work fine (sometimes) when I play them from Legacy using the demo playing option in the Legacy launcher, but when I actually play them from the actual Iwad or Pwad they always mess up for some reason (this is when i goto the single player menu when pressing esc. and when I goto "End Game")...durring the demos; when they play there is Always a part that messes up and screws up the whole rest of the demo...I just dont get it...

OK, I see. You are trying to play back demos recorded with Legacy using the console command 'playdemo'. To quote from the Legacy Launcher Help (Console Command/Demos):

Quote from Legacy Help text (v. 1.32 beta 5):
NOTE: 'playdemo' command doesn't seem to work very well, sometimes the demos don't playback properly. In such case, until we fix it, use the -playdemo command line parm. It usually seem to work better.

I tested this with a demo I recorded earlier, and it did indeed desync when I tried to play it back using this console command (which I had never tried before).

So, until they fix the console command, play demos from the command line (as they suggest) or else from the "Demos..." dialogue in the Legacy Launcher (which I have always found to work fine, and to be extremely convenient). BTW, if you want to use some other options when playing back a demo, you can still do so from the Launcher. For instance, I recently wanted to take some screenshots from a demo that I had recorded. This requires devparm to be used. I used the "Single Map..." dialogue, and put in the pwad as normal, and in the additional options "-devparm -playdemo c:\doom2\rige-126" (where rige-126.lmp was the name of the demo). This worked fine. I could have done that from the command line of course, but that would have meant typing a few more characters...

Oh, thanks...Speaking of Screenshots...I can take them in Legacy but I can't view them or look at them or do anything with them...how can I look at them?

Did it save them as .tga files? If so, they can be viewed using many programs; I used the Microsoft Photo Editor, which enabled me to convert them into a variety of different formats (such as jpg; 50% compression makes the file size quite manageable without losing too much quality). My current Windows wallpaper is a jpg of a screenshot with no compression, and it looks very nice indeed.

yup, they are saved as .tga files but the only picture type programs I got is 'Imaging for Windows' and 'Paint'...and i cant view them with those...

Even Paint works OK on my computer. Perhaps the version that comes with XP is better than earlier ones (heh, there have to be some advantages to compensate for XP screwing up the sound in Doom2.exe).

I'm sure if you do a web search you'll find some freeware utilities that handle .tga files.

PhotoShop is also pretty good in some cases, I got Photoshop Elements 2.0 and it can look at tga's and other image types perfectly, also it has all the kewl stuff you can do to the images.

Here is a link to the site with it and other thingys, U have to sign up tho...but its pretty easy.

Yes, I know Im late for posting here but, I wanna feel like Im helping someone Damnit!

the best image viewer for windows is ACDSee period.
the best demo player is Doom(2).exe. for shitXP, the best demo player is PrBoom, just like Grazza said.
good luck.