Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bioshockfan90

Forum Update?

Just now, Xaser said:

RIP the finger health bonus icon, 2018-2018. Sincerest condolences to DILDOMASTER666.

*presses soulsphere to pay respects*

How many people here will no longer look at a health bonus in the game the same way again?

28 minutes ago, Linguica said:

*presses soulsphere to pay respects*

Have to say that I love these soulspheres and health bonuses.  So worthy of a Doom site. Overall I'm very pleased with the changes. Readability is better with the fat usernames, smaller but clearer fonts and without like-points in red and other distracting things.

It still doesn't give me the impression of being a like button at all... I think if it has to be a graphical icon, a simple familiar heart or star would be best to convey what it actually is.

I suppose the heart banner on popular posts ought to be updated to match, thinking on it. Here's a quick test:

rCHJe02.png

...hey, wait a second.

I like the Soulsphere for the like button, anything that makes use of Doom's original sprites is a good thing.

What's the chance we'll get back the rotating banner images too?  I mean I like the Tower of Babel, but it's merely one level.

26 minutes ago, Xaser said:

hey, wait a second.

Oh, Slowpoke symbol! Ye dat shold work just fiiiiiiiiiiii~iiiiiiine.

1 hour ago, Ichor said:

How many people here will no longer look at a health bonus in the game the same way again?

I don't know about you, but I would have replaced the bottles with buttplugs long ago anyway.

What about the Doomguy's hand making an OK sign or thumbs up or something like that?

10 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't know about you, but I would have replaced the bottles with buttplugs long ago anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who associated them with butt plugs.

12 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

@Linguica my idea is not stupid.... Just think about it for a bit... Let it sink in, you know what I'm sayin'? ;-)

Then, we need a hand fully made of dildos? And making "I like" move.

I really like the Soulsphere like button, I think it's awesome. Yes, it might not actually be very suggestive when it comes to what it does at first sight indeed, but beside this I've no idea what else could be a more suitable replacement, save for going back to the old like button or something much, much more uninteresting, which would be a total waste. In fact, any other replacement would probably be a waste right now.

I do like the idea of it turning into a Megasphere or maybe even an Invulnerability once a post reaches a certain amount of likes. Or maybe one of these 2 could become the replacement for whatever is currently used for the Popular Post banner instead? What about a Doom demon head, such as the Cyberdemon's for the banner? So yeah, a few ideas right here.

Edited by Agent6

For what it's worth, I'm usually a big proponent of the "Don't Make Me Think" school of UX design (i.e. the like button's purpose should be as obvious as possible just from looking at it), but this is one of the few cases where I think the "cool factor" is big enough to get away with it (plus it does fit a Doom site). Its purpose is pretty obvious once someone clicks it for the first time -- so long as users try to click on it. We'll have to keep an eye out to see if there are any troubles with that.

Also, just to explicitly state it, reactions other than "like" aren't likely to happen, and outright negative reactions are a hard "no."

Could we at least change the colour of the phrase "[so-and-so] likes this". For the moment it's just a boring grey colour. At least make it... I don't know, red like before? Something that can stand out?

24 minutes ago, Glaice said:

So @myk is the "Like" button now? Or was that @fraggle who had the soulsphere avatar?

brb, renaming the button to "Lyk".

Just noticed something: The numbers of the pages are white on black in the forum sections but once you open a topic they're reversed.

The topic version is how they're supposed to look -- the page index one is yet another thing in the "things with white backgrounds that need fixing despite there being no sane reason to" bucket, unfortunately. :(

The Soulsphere is quite nice, I think that it should say "You and x people gave health to this", or something like that to help fit the theme of the icon. It might make things a bit more confusing than the Soul Sphere icon on its own does for new people, but once anyone has spent more than two minutes looking at this site they should understand what it actually means, even if they haven't played Doom and have no idea what a Soulsphere actually is (but in that case I'd be curious as to why they're visiting Doomworld). And now that the like icon is a Soul Sphere, I think that the popularity banner should be made into a Megasphere or Invulnerability. Please don't change the font colour for the number of likes, who has liked a post really shouldn't be important enough for it to stand out that much from the rest of a post in my opinion.

And I think that most everyone else has already inputted their $0.02 on the matter, but any form of a dislike button or other negative reaction indicator is a terrible idea.

Also, @Xaser, I assume that you plan to remove the number of posts made by a user from under their avatar, but are you also planning to reimplement the date of registration for that user? I think it is a good piece of information to have right there without needing to go looking for it. Both me and bzzrak have already brought it up before, I'm mostly just wondering if that's on the backburner somewhere.