Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bioshockfan90

Forum Update?

I've noticed like button is disappeared from files section (for each wad). Follow, report and review still available.

I already miss the health potion over the soulsphere. It made so much sense to get +1 health per like, and a stim icon after 10 likes, medpack after 25 and the big powerups being unattainable's just cool, but I guess that solution might not be technically possible. However, soulspheres everywhere, visible under every post like they are now, just doesn't sit well with me as a level designer. Makes "the whole site feel unbalanced", its worse than a slaughtermap in here! I'll get used to it I guess, but I'd much prefer HEADA1 (thx for the Hissy suggestion Doom_RO, I'm sure that's what made me think of it). It's basically a (demonic) smiley colored like a heart, and fits the Cacoward theme that is a hallmark/highlight of Doomworld...

Edited by Soundblock

1 hour ago, Soundblock said:

soulspheres everywhere, visible under every post like they are now, just doesn't sit well with me as a level designer. Makes "the whole site feel unbalanced", its worse than a slaughtermap in here!

This forum is a haven for Doom fans. There should be plenty of health here.

1 hour ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

This forum is a haven for Doom fans. There should be plenty of health here.

Too many Megaspheres spoil the broth.

Just imagine that in addition to the soulspheres, each user making a post is a Cyberdemon, 'cause Doomworld is a jokewad.

Clearly the solution to this is to make it so that the icon used for the like button automatically changes either with each refresh or at random, arbitrary interval so nobody has any idea what it'll look like at any given moment.

Either that, or make it some monstrous 500x600 megazord thing made out of various Doom items that looks straight out of do-tims.

1 minute ago, Arctangent said:

make it some monstrous 500x600 megazord thing made out of various Doom items that looks straight out of do-tims.

Looks like a bad idea. First idea is more acceptable for me.

6 hours ago, Soundblock said:

I already miss the health potion over the soulsphere. It made so much sense to get +1 health per like, and a stim icon after 10 likes, medpack after 25 and the big powerups being unattainable's just cool, but I guess that solution might not be technically possible. However, soulspheres everywhere, visible under every post like they are now, just doesn't sit well with me as a level designer. Makes "the whole site feel unbalanced", its worse than a slaughtermap in here! I'll get used to it I guess, but I'd much prefer HEADA1 (thx for the Hissy suggestion Doom_RO, I'm sure that's what made me think of it). It's basically a (demonic) smiley colored like a heart, and fits the Cacoward theme that is a hallmark/highlight of Doomworld...

It might've made more sense if you want to look at it from that pov, but its main problem was that it was far too easy to mistake it for something else entirely. Mostly a black middle finger, as for me, I thought it was a bomb. The Soulsphere is just much cooler, regardless of whether it makes less sense or not.

Meanwhile I figured I should point out the botton of the bar with the Activity and the rest of the buttons on our profile shouldn't blend with what's under it. On top of this, the menu looks really bad on mobile once it's open (see pic).

Screenshot_20180301-090752.png

Another annoying coloring issue: Old code tags like the one in this post are still using the bad text color and bg. really is a shame the software makes updating all of this such a pain.

test

edit: despite checking over the thread fuck I somehow managed to miss a note that it was known and will be fixed in the future. Fuck.

I just figured out that the threads with stars instead of circles are ones in which I have replied, not popular ones that stars usually indicate. That's confusing. At least now I know.

It's just that every thread in which you replied is popular.

Seems like a redundant feature if used to highlight 'good posts'. This one for example softens the effect of the punchline (if it actually serves its purpose by getting someone to read it), and the recommended post is right there anyway. It's fairly easy to notice since it is (or rather would be) highlighted with the usual ribbon. Would be quite practical, however, if reserved exclusively for crucial updates or alerts that might be buried or get less attention than they deserve. 

That recommended post feature would be great if the OP of a thread could apply this, since it would work well for project update posts etc.

Noticed today the YT videos are now unnecessarily larger than they were before. The original size was better, imo anyway...

One thing I have just noticed is that when I make a quick edit, the edited just now notification is no longer displayed at the bottom of my post. I'm not sure if this is a new feature in the forum software, but a welcome addition if I say so myself.

So long as the (edited) tag still remains on top of the post next to its age I'm fine with this too.

Linguica just added that recently. The edit notification won't display if you make the edit within 5 minutes of posting.

One of the nice touches introduced in the last version was quoted images were automatically resized down to circa 320x200.  Any chance this could be re-introduced?  It made for quoting posts with images in much neater.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

One of the nice touches introduced in the last version was quoted images were automatically resized down to circa 320x200.  Any chance this could be re-introduced?  It made for quoting posts with images in much neater.

Really easy to implement, here's a CSS snippet for anyone should they want to add it to DW or to a CSS injection plugin for your favourite browser(s). :)

.ipsQuote_contents img {
    max-width: 320px;
    max-height: 200px;
}

@Xaser, I just encountered this tasty treat while trying to find an older post I had made and don't remember whether or not it's already been reported in this thread:

Tasty!.PNG.e8d74942badc2d739268f7e9c6b8d648.PNG

The nonselected options in the left box utilizing text that is exactly the same colour as the darkened boxes (as opposed to simply being a very similar colour) just makes this tasty treat so much more succulent!

Edited by Skeletonpatch

Heh, that's yet another case of IPS doing goofy stuff. They just took the big generic tab panel control (the exact same one the search page itself uses, funny enough) and just shoved it into the textbox control without bothering to fix any of the styles. :<

In other news, though:

function areCodeBlocksDoneYet() {
  return true;
}
console.log(areCodeBlocksDoneYet()); // prints 'true'

There should be support for people who record FDAs in the Review Section.

For example @xvertigox and @HAK3180 are making very good video reviews of WADs and it would be very cool if this format was also supported.

It would also be cool if besides the custom title, people also had tags like Mapper or Reviewer and where the signature would be, it shows a list of the maps and reviews the user has made.

Finally, maybe we should only get a few likes per week. That way, truly valuable posts would get more attention and would discourage try-hard funny posts.

All 3 of those are major feature additions of stuff that don't exist in the IPS software. We're better off spending our time (at the moment) working on bugfixing and improving the existing features (e.g. the files section, which is in dire need of a restyle).

I might have to start lurking in a more up to date browser.  But other than that, I like it.

*Incoming resurrection*

But seriously, I've been recently missing something that should be implemented, a rather basic function really, and that being a Back to Top button. Scrolling through threads with large numbers of images (or just big images), videos, or many/long posts is a real pain... You could use the bar instead, yes, but still...