Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Force monsters on other side of keyed door to open it, ala wolf3d?

Question

4 answers to this question

If the player can alert the monster on the other side of the locked door, and the door is not locked on the other side, the monster will open the door to reach & attack the player.

This can be achieved by allowing sound to travel to the other side of the door, or by creating a window so that the monster can see a player.

But I suspect you're going for something more complicated.

3 minutes ago, ReX said:

If the player can alert the monster on the other side of the locked door, and the door is not locked on the other side, the monster will open the door to reach & attack the player.

This can be achieved by allowing sound to travel to the other side of the door, or by creating a window so that the monster can see a player.

But I suspect you're going for something more complicated.

Not really, so this was possible with some iwads?

It's a common trick to let an arch-vile on doom 2 map27 open a locked door from the locked side, since monsters can open locked doors if the other side isn't a keyed door and the actual door is thin enough etc. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other ones, but there might be some.

Behold! A door locked from both sides, openable by monsters from both sides, in vanilla.

The only imperfection I noticed is that (at least in ZDoom, couldn't replicate it in vanilla) you can operate the door without a key if you're directly underneath it. But you can only do that when the door is open anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Here's how it works:

1. Make a normal door, locked from both sides.

2. Draw an additional sector inside the door, with the linedefs facing inside. The sector should be pretty much as big as it can while fitting inside the door sector.

3. Give the non-locked door action to the inner linedefs.

4. Move the ceiling of the inner sector much higher than the ceilings around it. Don't have any upper textures.

Voila! Monsters will ignore the locked door action and reach for the regular door action, while the player's attempt to open the door will always be intercepted by the locked door action. It works exactly as the aforementioned Archvile exploit, except this time it's on purpose. And as long as the inner sector is big enough, it works with slow monsters just as well!

Enjoy!

MONSTERDOOR.zip