Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iconoclast12

Mac Doom II question

Does anyone know if the versions of Mac Doom, specifically Doom II for Mac, have the same .wad files as the PC version? I ask this because I found a copy of Mac Doom II in the big box for really cheap (for some reason Windows copies of Doom have skyrocketed....not sure why?) and since I only use source ports (zdoom) anyway, I figured the old default installation didn't matter much to me, and I am making the assumption that it has the same .wad files as the PC version. And, if they are different, am I still able to use them with PC Zdoom? Can anyone answer this question? Thanks!

7 minutes ago, CWolf said:

Hold on, there was a Doom port for MAC specifically? Isn't PC copy supposed to be MAC one too?

Not sure about the original or Final Doom, but there was a Mac version of Doom II, yes.

Yes, they're the same WADs. Or at least they're compatible.

Only incompatibility I know of with Mac versions is that the Mac version of Hexen.wad is missing the GENMIDI and DMXGUS lumps. Doom should be fine.

Funny story: Many years ago I found something labelled
"DOOM2 DEMO FOR MAC" at softpedia.com. I was curious, because I knew, that
there never was a Doom 2 Demo, so I downloaded it an could indeed extract a
FULL V1.666 IWAD which was identical to the PC version....

Back in those days GT interactive was the distributor of doom, so I contacted
them to let them know about this evil doing of the bad boys at softpedia.com.

I'll never forget their answer:"Thanks for the info, but please calm down,
there is no harm done, it is only the Demo version!"
Hahahaha, stupid boneheads !

Mac WADs should be identical in terms of data, though there are stories about endianness issues (depending on the chipset of each machine), necessitating some low-level file operation before the port would recognize it. It never happened to me, but see remarks from experts here and here.

The endianness issues were about programming and compiling source ports and utilities, not anything that should concern the end user.

I could patch the MAC IWAD using the DOS-patches without any problem. That would have been impossible, if the
iWAD's not identical (bitwise...) to the PC-version.