Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TabbiKatt

lets talk medal of honor and PS1!

i grew up in a gaming family. some of my earliest memories are of me sitting on my dads lap as he played zelda and metroid on the NES and donkey kong country on SNES in the early 90s.  by the time i was old enough to play my dad owned a playstation and i remember my first gaming moments were with tomb raider and crash bandicoot.  it wasnt long until i played final doom for the first time and my mom was reluctant because of all the blood and gore but my dad was on my side and convinced her i wouldnt become a mass murderer. 
for my 11th birthday in 2000 the N64 was very affordable by then and so i asked for that and three games as a gift.  zelda ocarina of time, goldeneye and mario party so me and my dad and me and my friends could play. i loved zelda and mario party and multiplayer in goldeneye was great but i was less impressed with goldeneyes single player. i think it was because i had already played medal of honor underground on the playstation. i know that goldeneye is three years older but i never see medal of honor the original or underground mentioned in the same vain as goldeneye and i never understand why.  ok so multiplayer was limited to two people but the single player was loads better and in my opinion, like most of PS1 games, the graphics were better.  i will take pixels up close and bigger textures over small blurred z-buffered textures but thats just me.
mostly i will be talking about medal of honor underground because im playing it again and my copy of medal of honor has always been damaged so it wouldnt load to a certain mission and i never got to finish it.
firstly i thought the stealth missions in MOH were better than goldeneye and being able to go undercover made me feel like a spy.  the AI is much better and enemies will take cover behind objects and lean out from behind walls.  they throw grenades at you without killing themelves and even throw yours back at you.  they also dive to the ground and roll away from your shots. sometimes you find soldiers laying down for a little nap and they can ambush you.  i actually remember having a lot of fun with the multiplayer even though you can only have two people and it doesnt have as many maps as goldeneye. 
i also really liked the level design and the settings for the missions and all the objectives. it had very similar character to goldeneye like for example how the menus are set up like books and file folders. i think the controls have aged much better because of the playstation having the option to use the dual analoge controller with the game. it can be set up to control just like a modern shooter. i always see halo get the credit for this but never medal of honor.
did any of you play medal of honor back on PS1? what other PS1 memories do you have?

thanks for reading! 

I've played through the PS1 Medal of Honor and got all the medals. Very fine game for its time, but I don't think I'll go back to it. Never tried Underground. Allied Assault is where it's at.

allied assault is the PC only game yeah? i never played that one when it came out but i probably should even my crappy computer should run it!

Still wonder why EA didn't tried to make PC-version since it was quite possible for that time.

Well, let's hope we will see them on PC in same form but on new engine.

i always thought it was because of a deal between dreamworks interactive and sony computer entertainment but i just looked it up and can find no such deal. dreamworks interactive had made PC games before so that is a good question. i do know that at least 3 of the medal of honor games came out on PC and there were no console versions of those.

edit i was getting mixed up with the deal between eidos and sony to have tomb raider 2 and 3 appear only on windows and playstation. my bad! 

I loved the undercover sections and multiplayer was really neat. Underground was great too. It improved on what the first did and made it even better.

I grew up on Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and Syphon Filter so I have a lot of fond memories with the PS1. Really takes me back.

I've also played this series on PS1 back in 90s. Those days it is being funny to play splitscreen deathmatches with friends.

Medal of Honor and Underground are some of my fondest memories of my PS1, great system, loads better than the N64 in every non-tech aspect.

its funny to think that if the N64 had gone with cd-rom the playstation would have not done so well at all or maybe even died. but i say as i have grown up and go back to these early 3D systems the playstation having the room for those higher resolution textures really did make a difference over the N64.

i will have to try allied assault someday even though im pretty bad with kb/mouse it seems like its a good game.

i remember resident evil as well. the intro movie and the horrible voice work. a classic <3 

1 hour ago, TabbiKatt said:

i will have to try allied assault someday even though im pretty bad with kb/mouse it seems like its a good game.

I don't see why you couldn't just plug in a controller.

All of you forgot the music. That was one of the key elements of the game. I love it and I will love it. Michael Giacchino (the composer) did a great job of depicting the levels and the ambience of that time. From the main theme to some memorable tracks, like this one:

not sure how i was dumb enough to forget to include the music in my post ;-; of course it is brilliant! the music of goldeneye was also very good as well.

speaking of PS1 did anyone else play army men 3D or gran theft auto 1 or 2? 

One of my favorite things from Medal of Honor was, strangely, not the great gameplay or fun levels or anything like that; 

at the :26 mark of this video, I would always LMAO for some strange reason.... I think the visuals (in my head) of giving a grenade to a dog as a dog biscuit was comedy gold. Or maybe I'm just corny af? Yeah, probably. Anyway, great game. Loved it growing up. Hasn't aged well, unfortunately.