Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Eternal Slumber Party

I don't have too much to say about "smedley" (= small medley?) that hasn't been said already. It's an entryway spinoff similar to the "go 2 its" we've seen in the past, however this here is a lot more interesting to look at by virtue of texture choice, and it is the only map that I can think of from top of my head that allows players to actually access some of this map's teleport batteries (If one gets the required AVJ right). I wouldn't be surprised if there were more maps that did this, but they're probably less than few and far between.

Now, the idea of giving people access to the teleport batteries to soften the potential blow/lethalty of an encounter is something that I will need to do some thinking about, but generally speaking I am very fond of unusual decisions such as this one, because it provides players with "options". If we take aside the many typical unusual aspects of TOD's maps, and just look at this approach on its own, I do have to say I am extremely fascinated with this idea... So much so that I would actually consider building an entire map around this particular trope some day, or at least making that trope a huge part of the map's style overall. Either way, this was a good inspiration for me personally.

Yeah, just wanted to ramble a bit about this, because I thought it was quite interesting.

Map 6: HMP  11/12 secrets found

Did poke around a bit in UV just to see.  Looked far enough to realize the need to slip past a cyberdemon for your equipment.  It's certainly a memorable setup.

Totally different map on the lower difficulty where it becomes a mystery of "so where's the exit?"  It's not in the same place as the original, that's for sure.  There's also those eye switches tucked away where it's not immediately apparent what their purpose is.  Enjoyed poking around environments both familiar and unfamiliar looking for a new passage and further progress.  When I find the computer map, poke around some more.  Did find the secret yellow key, the blue one being in a more obvious location.  Eventually stumble into the exit, didn't expect it to be there of all places.  Came up one eye switch short and stumped as to its location.

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't have too much to say about "smedley" (= small medley?) that hasn't been said already. It's an entryway spinoff similar to the "go 2 its" we've seen in the past, however this here is a lot more interesting to look at by virtue of texture choice, and it is the only map that I can think of from top of my head that allows players to actually access some of this map's teleport batteries (If one gets the required AVJ right). I wouldn't be surprised if there were more maps that did this, but they're probably less than few and far between.

Now, the idea of giving people access to the teleport batteries to soften the potential blow/lethalty of an encounter is something that I will need to do some thinking about, but generally speaking I am very fond of unusual decisions such as this one, because it provides players with "options". If we take aside the many typical unusual aspects of TOD's maps, and just look at this approach on its own, I do have to say I am extremely fascinated with this idea... So much so that I would actually consider building an entire map around this particular trope some day, or at least making that trope a huge part of the map's style overall. Either way, this was a good inspiration for me personally.

Yeah, just wanted to ramble a bit about this, because I thought it was quite interesting.

Nah, here is the actual origin:

"Smedley" is the name of one of the racers in the game Road Rash 64. I like his name because I think it's funny.

Citation

Oh, and when did you reach 2000 posts O_o

Rip dwmc

MAP07 - “KSP”

I think i found TOD's paradise, or i think its his vision of paradise. Aside from the tediously long imp grind at the beginning, the map actually became much more enjoyable as it progresses, despite carrying the theme of "grind", but in a way that tests your endurance and consistency to the max(but wait until you see nostril carvens). Its a slaughter map where you will expect to see a encounter type several times, until you master it. I think this how TOD plays doom tbh :P

Mix with dreamy music(a fit in 50 shades of graytall too, and the track is amusingly named "tinytod"), tall buildings, tall marble structures that reeks of TOD detailing, that makes me feel like im in some sort of garden, the one with the demons and weird rooms everywhere.

The name comes from the automap shapes btw.

Some screenies:

qk9EIAu.png
XwnA7CN.png
5HpBdfj.png
ORE4ZML.png
Bc0SkVD.png
TAkWBXU.png

^Swtw spin off?(make it happen TOD)

Map 07 : KSP

ESP.wad_MAP07.png.7d5251395737328c3c9b56435f39ef63.png

Size : Huge

I did a uv-max today considering that I already finished this level a year ago.

DEMO

Oh god this music , I love it so much. It fits so well with the abstract style of ToD's maps. Each time I hear this music , I feel transported in a weird pleasant dream. It was actually used only in KSP and Nina Dobrev II but I sometimes do "IDMUS" to listen this beautiful music while slaughtering hoard of monsters. Despite that , I found this map pretty boring , I consider it as a foretaste of Nostril Caverns which is by far my least favourite map in the pwad. Also , does anyone know what "KSP" mean? Klonoa Slumber Party? (The music comes from Klonoa games heh)

Indeed , the major gimmick consists to repeat the same trap for X times. At the beginning you must kill hoard of imps which get bigger and bigger. I admit that the concept is really interesting because you must shoot well placed rockets in order to not run out of ammo. Globally , all the RL/Normal BFG's part is interesting but at a certain point you will obtain a pink BFG which has infinite ammo and the map will start to be boring. It's boring because giving an infinite ammo BFG is overkill in my opinion. Fights show to be interesting when the player  can run out of ammo while killing the freaks. "Thanks to" the pink BFG , you can easily hide and shooting at will so that big battles become very quickly cheesable. Of course , in a case of an uv-max , you will lose a lot of time if you proceed like that but it could have been a lot more interesting by just scattering cell charges in the main arena and fighting with the white BFG. The Stairs' trap and the part with the Chaingunners and the chaingunners stay dangerous , even with the pink BFG but everything stays quite straightforward. ToD was very generous with megaspheres again.

I agree with Catpho on the fact that this level have a really more pronounced dreamy/abstract aspect. We walk indeed in a kind of cavern with a "garden" decorated with a lot of marble structures and a tall building of stone where you get the special BFG. I really liked the aesthetics contrary to the gameplay. I loved also the rooms with a star carved on the floor. As long as I play ToD maps , I tend to think he's really keen of geometry. He assembles a lot of simple shapes to make more complex structures. The spiral shaped path on the right was made with pentagonal rooms only for instance.

Also , I see a snail when I look the layout. The spiral seems to be its shell xD

Original version of the music :

40 minutes ago, Catpho said:

I think this how TOD plays doom tbh :P

Indeed. 

The flying cyb one (in part two) is pretty hilarious. 

edit: @TimeOfDeath666 you should make more gameplay videos. :)

This is how Doom must be played : on a super shitty computer !

the flying 'angry bird' cyber - amazing

p.s. i wish i could participate but 1) im really not in the mood to play doom at the moment, and 2) i have no time even if i did feel like playing :(

Eternal Slumber Party: Map07 - "KSP"
Playtime: 1.9 hrs (prb+ cl-1 uv-savescum)

Cool opening with the imps+rockets; kinda hard without health.  Good thing it ended when it did.  I saw the white BFG on the pedestal, but didn't know how to get it, and thus thought it was accessed later in the map.  Because of this, I killed all those cyberdemons with the rockets laying around.  Kinda a chore.  When I killed them all and got the Pink Fucking Gun, I realized that I missed the BFG opportunity and made things more tedious than they had to be.

For the megahorde, I did a cycle of running, then retreated into a side-hole and camped with the pink BFG.  I liked the archvile hordes that, in a subsequent fight, were released into those same side-hole camping spots.  There are three of these such side pockets, and you have to deal with each on individually: so, i used the pile of meat at the doorway of the one I used earlier to lock them into resurrecting death, and after clearing out that pocket, used it as a pivot to safely gut out the other two.

The rest was okay.

Overall, kinda repetitive; not my favorite in the set.

Eternal Slumber Party: Map08 - "Much Obliged"
Playtime: 28 mins (prb+ cl-1 uv-savescum)

Huh, that went a bit smoother than I expected.  Probably a fair map to play saveless.  It turns out that 2000 monsters disappear fast when you have near endless cells and megaspheres to fall back on.  You have two paths to choose from: left seemed safer to start with.  The right path goes downstairs which seemed to leave a vantage point for the cyberdemons above to kill you from.  At the end of the right path: those tight spaces with cyberdemons in them were tricky, but for some reason felt fairish if you used the right bfg timing/technique.  I was using saves so I didn't feel fear, and I just kinda bumbled through them somewhat carelessly.  A surprisingly short map.

KSP certainly qualifies as a breather map in my personal opinion. Starting off with the rockets on imps grind, which I suppose is the very definition of an uphill fight done TOD-style, closely followed by an AVJ for the BFG, the map soon has you going into a sort of meditative grind mode. This is a great map for when you're in the mood to do some relaxed grinding, but maybe not so much when you're looking for constantly fast paced murderfests that make you run about the whole place.

A few things worth mentioning in terms of gameplay here... The imp grind can be punishing due to the constantly changing orientation of the player, which can lead to misjudging the actual distance one needs to keep to the blast of the exploding rockets to avoid damage. Overly agressive approaches might end quickly here, so if you get it right the first time you're fast enough. The large rooms with the "cybie-cubbies" in them act not only a consistency check for cybie two-shotting, but also as a bit of a risk/reward scenario. If you let all the cybies out in one of those rooms they can help you greatly with clearing the other rooms quicker. Quite useful for when you want to get rid of some pesky revenant horde the fast way. I would imagine for the fastest possible max on this map it would be an attractive option to try and let as many of them out ASAP, so you don't need to spend time on doing two shots while having great but potentially lethal support units for the invasion that is to come soon enough. If you play this more in a more conservative way, you're still in for a fair bit of massacre action later down the line. Health is abundant enough if you pay attention to what is happening around you, and since there is the infinite-ammo-BFG here as well, there shouldn't be many concerns about running out of cells at all.

This map has the type of aesthetics that seem like a trademark of TOD. Lots of dynamic lighting makes this map look much more vibrant than any given screenshot of it might suggest, and that dynamic lighting works very well with the overall scope and open geometry of the map's main area. Once there is enough stuff around, this map makes for quite a spectacle. Even though I love the more elaborate types of detailing done by people like ribbiks or Dobu, there is something quite charming about the more simplistic geometry in this map. Maybe it's just that it makes everything overall look very "crisp" or perhaps it's the right kind of detailing I need for my very own personal "head canon". I don't know, but I like it.

18 hours ago, Roofi said:

Map 07 : KSP

anyone know what "KSP" mean? Klonoa Slumber Party? (The music comes from Klonoa games heh)

Its "Kite snail plane" 

Citation(he said that also in the sf12 thread)

Why? Look at the automap :)

MAP08 - “Much Obliged”

This one was kind of a breather, is there such a thing called a "Relaxing slaughtermap" :P(Even the midi is calm, with the piano and stuff)

Starts out looking hectic and daunting, but then it only keeps the hectic part, the rest of the level is entirely manageable if you just watch your step(and dont just randomly open places with more encounters, like i stupidly did a hundred times).

The levels layout is kinda boxy, lots of squares and all, but like map04 it works. The names comes the fact that the level was a TOD attempt to make a OBLIGE like level, i could say that it work, for the texturing at least(you could say the whole map, if you think OBLIGE is some sort of drunk TOD map generator), and as with all TOD maps, looks nice and interesting.

Maps like these are appreciated in this mapset :)

Also, i really want @dobu gabu maru and @Demon of the Well to give some of there thougts on theses maps. Come on, where are you guys?

Side note: spheres and ammo placement of this map(thanks to TOD himself)

tom16things.jpg

(blue = megasphere
yellow = cells
green = rad suit)

Some screenies:

RunBn38.png
ibyhd5z.png
WnC6PVU.png
EURnhfm.png

Map 08 : "Much obliged"

ESP.wad_MAP08.png.702cc4d13fd8ba659bcb3c8a89870d29.png

Size : Medium

No demo for this map but I finished this map for the first time in 2014. I tried to complete this map again but I died at the part where cybies are separated with pillars.

I think the same as Catpho , a fun and relaxing slaughtermap where you just need to keep the left click pressed and use megaspheres when you health drops below 100HP. Nonetheless ,Some parts are quite tricky  but nothing insurmountable. It's one of my favourite ToD's levels thanks to  its simple and pushy gameplay. It was also the first map I have ever played from ToD.

A slaughterfest in a very squarish map , it reminds a lot of Rosewater Park  indeed. However , you will play with the BFG 99% of the time and maybe 1% with the useless rocket launcher which you can pick up if you go on the right side at the beginning. In fact , this map proposes a non-linear progression but I always completed this level by securing the left part of the level first.

I consider this level as a jokemap due to the fact that every room is filled with monsters until the limit of the possible. Some monsters are stupidly stuck  , I think about Cybies and Spider masterminds on stairs. Also , the gimmick which consists to heal the player with megaspheres reach its paroxysm , you can find them in every corner so that you don't have to worry to lose a lot of health. :p

One thing I really appreciate in this level contrary to a lot of ToD' maps is the possibility to get out of deadly pits. Generally , ToD tends to put unescapable pits in his levels but he was very fair this time : a lot of stairs , teleporters and also radsuits help us to not be killed by green liquid.

Nothing to say about the architecture , I don't think you will be able to admire it because of all dead corpses on the ground. :( On the other hand , there is nothing much pleasing than walking on all the monsters you previously killed.

The music comes from Alundra , I discovered this wonderful game by searching the origin of ESP's midis.

Much obliged succesfully pissed me off in less than 5 minutes of playtime by ramming a set of rockets so far up my arse that you could see their tips when I yawn, and shortly after followed it up with annoying inf-tall-fuckery while cybies and revs hammered me down.

Gave it another bash and managed to get through in like 15 or so minutes... Wasn't too bad after all. The opening with the 5 cybies that can hammer people right away is still annoying though. Anyways, after getting past that PE horde there the inf-tall issues were mostly done for as well, and aside of a corridor with cybs and viles in it the rest of the map was smooth sailing.

Also figured out how to get map 09 started without getting my head bitten off, so I might give it a fair shot later.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

20 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

ramming a set of rockets so far up my arse that you could see their tips when I yawn

:) a very poetic and visual way of writing.  Wait 'til you get to the next map. nice timing.

Eternal Slumber Party: Map09 - "Supernib"
Playtime: 1.4 hrs (prb+ cl-1 uv-savescum)

This map starts out like the previous one, but in bigger area; that is, a grindy BFG+Megasphere spam over a large area.  I've developed a decent BFG dancing pattern after eight other ToD maps, where this opening actually went down slowly-but-safely; I still took some damage, but I had the majority of the megaspheres to spare by the end with ~3000 monsters dead.  That's half the map dead, but this is where things get a bit trickier and more engaging.

There are a couple of tighter setpieces in the side areas; not Ribbiks tight, but compared the the previous open-slaughter, were in smaller areas and were more technically demanding on player skill.  I liked the triangle (e: square, not a triangle, my memory sucks) ring-around-the-rosey with the archvile cubbies.  You have enough cells that you can pace yourself and corner camp with the BFG spam, then advance to the next stretch of viles - repeat until victory.

Afterwards you get a giant caco-galaxy to deal with in the first area; I was somewhat conscientious earlier with my ammo/health in the first fight, so I had plenty of slack to spare here.  After killing them, I dove into the arachnotron death pit and got chewed by infinite height. I was lulled into a sense of security by the cacos and "forgot to save!~" before jumping into the unknown.  It was kinda a buzzkill and had to repeat the caco-swarm.

On the other side of the pit, there was that quarter-circle staircase with the two switches at the bottom.  I found out the hard way that one switch's only purpose is to flood the room with archviles,and that the door into the room is one-way.  I had to cycle around to the other side of the door to successfully kill them via BFG corner camping from the outside.

I finally got to the end: "Ahhh, all 6000 monsters dead, now time to look for the exit.  Huh, that's where the exit was the whole time?"  I wonder if i could've gotten there earlier.

The map was okay overall.  I think these maps are starting to distort my sense of time completely.  The map felt quicker than it actually was, but took over an hour.  These maps are changing me brain.  What will happen when I get to the end?!

Edited by NoisyVelvet

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

What will happen when I get to the end?!

A cybie 2 shoting maniac who likes stock textures :)

Supernib was quite lovely after all. Once I noticed there was a gap between the trons early on that I could slip through the rest of the map came together just fine. Looked up some of the areas in the builder before playing, but didn't actually bother routing the map in any way. "Surface level scans" indicated that this was going to be a bloodbath to my tastes, which was very welcome after getting atomized in the previous map before even getting to kill anything worth mentioning (rarely saw 200/200 deplete so quickly). Got out of here in less than 31 minutes with sub-par play, for that matter. Took only a few tries to beat the map, so I suppose a breakfast-demo (with some 1% health moments) is in order here: esp09_3053_NIH.zip

Starts with some pretty hamfisted fodder-fest in which the only actual threat is getting stuck on either a pinky or the inf-tall cacos there early on. The latter can be avoided relatively easily with a decent movement-pattern in that area, but a bit of risk remains regardless. The pillar viles also make a comeback, this time around they're more comfortable to deal with due to monster-block lines, and more convenient ways to actually approach them. Some "bullet-heck" stuff in there as well, I like that. After the HK massacre, or should I say genocide, there are some fun small to medium sized setpieces with additional fodder, but also more cybies. Gameplay-pace and ammo distribution overall are definitely to my liking here, almost no need to ever do backtracking for ammo or health, unless of course you're a bit clumsy like me in a certain spot that involves viles in cubbies, and caco corpses blocking the view on incoming cybie-ordinance. All things considered, the variety of the setpieces is very welcome here inbetween the more spammy but generally frenetic grinds.

Visually it is a trademark ToD map, though it may be worth pointing out that the dynamic lighting this time around is practically nonexistent compared to previous maps. What it might not boast in dynamic lighting it makes up in spades by way of "corpse detailing" and scope, especially height differences are quite a thing here at times.

All in all a nice "feel-good-murderfest" with some distinct and intricate "spice".

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

MAP09 - “Supernib”

What an entertaining bfg spam map! Sure, it looked quite daunting at first, but if you take it slowly and safe, youll eventually make it through the beginning yard.

The rest is some HK slaughter(aptly dub "genocide" by @Nine Inch Heels :P), and some easy revenant killing. The map then leads you to 2 setpiece encounters, which are some very fun ones. The rest is just pure TOD slaughter :)

Another visual TOD imo, something like a city getting corupted by hell TOD, with all the tall buildingtm , and some nice looking rooms in the set piece areas.

A very fun and cool looking slaughtermap :)

(Sorry if this commentary is short, kinda tired)

Some screenies:

Gt1mKXK.png
N216I1p.png
9B28tV2.png
jK9kwEq.png
HPPU1yd.png

Count how many cacos:

Spoiler

hwILJOt.png

Map 09 : Supernib

ESP.wad_MAP09.png.baaa85195afd024cd0a02c523ff8e50d.png

Size : Large

No demo again , but I also completed this map in 2014. I didn't remember of the last nasty traps near the end and I died.

This map is by far the craziest and the most sanguinary map ever made by ToD. Of course , Nostril caverns contains more monsters but the gameplay differs completly.

I consider this level as a continuity of "Much Obliged" but on steroids. Your principal mission consists  to clear ridiculously overcrowded rooms again but this time you must not kill 2000 monsters but 6500 ! Hopefully , a very useful BFG9000 is granted to you just where you begin. As said before , megaspheres are really scattered and numerous everywhere so that you have always at least one available near you. The level is globally a lot less harder than it looks. However , the last rooms prove to be really unfair when you play for the first time because a lot of viles and cybies brutally attack you in a closed area and megaspheres become surprisingly more scarce.

This level lacks of dynamic light in fact but I didn't notice until I read your reviews because I find this map really ugly in general to be honest. I like abstract architectures but this one has nothing particular contrary to KSP for instance. But making an aesthetically beautiful map has no really interest when 6500 dead monsters prevent you to enjoy the  weird texture usage . :D  Also , the layout is maybe a bit too symetrical.

In all cases , I really liked this level , brutal but fun fights. No tricky and useless secrets to find and also an enough clear progression to not be bored between each battle.

Edited by Roofi

Map 7

Do you like blasting imps with rockets?

Do you love blasting imps with rockets?

Do you enjoy blasting imps with rockets so much that doing nothing but that for a map puts you in a state of ecstasy?

That''s pretty much the opening stretch.  There's no health, ammo is limited, and no backup weapons so aim well.  It's still a skill test.  After all that, well I didn't notice the AV jump to the BFG and later sections got sloggy.

Do you like 2-shotting cybers?

Do you like 2-shotting lot of cybers, like 24 of them?  For the next stretch of the grind, cells are placed where this is very much the intention.  There's other large hordes interspersed which all the rockets outdoors are for.  I didn't figure out how to reach that unlimited ammo BFG so this map left an impression even when I had wussed out long ago with god mode.  Chaingunning archviles due to being out of rockets was a part of my journey.

No shotguns to be found.  This may be because the unlimited ammo BFG mucks around with the shells counter.  I wonder which is the first ToD map chronologically it made its appearance.  Seems like the next evolution of a BFG spammer's dream.  I can totally picture ToD getting bored of placing cell packs in a BFG spam map and putting this tool in out of convenience.

6 minutes ago, Crusader No Regret said:

I wonder which is the first ToD map chronologically [pink bfg] made its appearance.

I'm pretty sure it was pppp.wad, which is map29 in ESP :-)

MAP10 -  “Forest of Undesirables”

I dont think 100 lines could hurt TOD here(the map was originally for 100 lines project, look it up), instead he makes a master class in elegant simplicity imho, those sector tree were nicely done, and the map even has a "it builds itself!" illusion(take that @Dragonfly!, but not @Xaser D:).

The gameplay here wasnt even so hard, just some simple slaughter scenarios. A very cool short map.

The soothing music makes the map feel kinda... lonely, however. The stark visuals too, very moody in no monsters mode.

PS: I dont know if i have the will to continue map03 and map05 :P

Some screenies:

62kovBR.png
fXr1jLs.png
eFD8WPA.png

Also, since these maps are similar to each other(sorta), do you guys have some sort of cannon/lore to them?(silly question, i know)

Forest of Undesirables is the type of short and lenient map you need before moving on to "chocolate pain", two things I enjoy in one map, but I degrassi...

For a map with such limitations it plays quite nice and looks wonderfully abstract with the triangular shapes and the fireblu sky. I like how the map uses for example the blue triangles for the purpose of creating turrets as well as platforms for jumping while at the same time they can serve as cover as well.

Points of interest for me personally are the imps on that ledge early on, and the chances of knocking cybies in particular into the lava-pit. The former can ruin your day if they keep you from reaching that elevator fast enough, the latter can ruin your UV-max attempt if they fall into the moat there. Took me a moment to realize the blue triangles with the turreted cybies could be lowered, but it's not like there is a lot of stuff you can try at that point in time anyway. Oh, and be careful about the viles here, you don't wanna get blasted into the lava.

Usually I am a sucker for readmes, but in thise case I wanted to hold back on that and just get into the maps. Knowing myself I'd read it all at once anways, and maybe there would be spoilers in it (Actually I think I deserve an award for reading the entire Deus Vult II readme in one go, because it reads like a dating profile more than anything :p). But what I was going to say was that my first impression has been that this was a speedmap, which I guess I wasn't "too wrong" about for that matter.

30 minutes ago, Catpho said:

PS: I dont know if i have the will to continue map03 and map05 :P

You can always keep those on the bench for another day. It's not like you have to beat them saveless start to finish anyway.

Map 07 : Forest of Undesirables

ESP.wad_MAP10.png.f2d63da4413ee1ddca0639bfc455d67f.png

Size : Small

FoU was also one of the first ToD's maps that I completed , a few years ago. I tried to record a demo today but I died at the last trap three times  a row , so I shamefully gave up. 

A litte and almost totally abstract speedmap with only 100 linedefs and triangular sectors. Why not totally abstract? Just because you can vaguely recognize some trees which are also made of triangles. This map should be called "Abstract Forest of triangles" but Undesirables refer without doubt to monsters. ToD's maps are known to be really weird but the very stringent rules makes the case worse. Also , note the "FIREBLU" texture used for the sky. Combine all those  things with the very sleepy and calm music and you got a dreamy level once again. ToD has the talent to make overworldly levels without using custom textures.

I liked the gameplay but I found the beginning really annoying. Also , as said before , you can unintentionally push monsters to the unescapable pit with your BFG which is kinda frustrating in uv-max run. The grey lift goes really fast so you must jump really quickly before it raises. No specific thing to say for this level , spam with your BFG and grab megaspheres when your health drops dangerously. I will add that the rare switches you must press between tech pillars are just linedefs and not sectors . It's also the case in "Stares" (map 17). Also the progression isn't really intuitive : the first time you must go near a specific megasphere , next you must "lower" the bloodfall sector and eventually you must use the tall blue towers as lifts in order to go on the upper area...

Source of the music :