Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoyoteComrade

Doom movie thoughts?

Doom Movie thoughts?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about it as a movie?

• Iss good
    • Iss meh
    • Iss bad
  2. 2. How do you feel about it as a Doom franchise thing?

• Goot
    • Bad

Lol this seems like a 2000s thread

I watched it once on cable (Didnt pay cuz reviews), and i can say: its terrible. Acting so bad its hilarious, using the doom lore in a way that doesnt even respect it(thats saying something, considering the "plot"). It turned doom into a bad parody of Alien, the only good thing(leaning more to hilarious) is that the Rock does deathmatch at the end and completely misses the bfg shot, then does a fist fight.

I've seen it a number of times. Its just bland. It doesn't do enough with DOOM to feel DOOM rather than generic sci-fi shooter in metal hallways with a few imps and a pinkie. It could have been any movie and the imps and pinkies were just placeholders.

It needed a bigger budget to feel Doom. More Hell, more organic, more demons, more set variety and less metal walls even if its space themed. Then again does anyone want to touch "Hell?" Too religious. Make it a parallel dimension, but Hell is never referenced. It was devoid of cyberdemons and spider masterminds and unless you have a sequel with them, then as a first offering its an utter failure.

Edited by geo

Literally anything is better than this dumpster fire. I'm probably just fanboying, but I absolutely despise the fact that anyone thought this was even a remotely good idea.

Watched it only once, and don't need to ever do it again. I didn't like it, but then movies based on video games are notorious for being terrible. Let games be games and movies be movies.

It's a poorly written, poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly edited, poorly paced doodoo-fest with a bad soundtrack and mostly unremarkable visuals. And yet, at times it does capture the spirit of the franchise well, with numerous references, a handful of memorable set pieces, and a first person sequence that, while undeniably cheesy, is well executed. Its biggest drawback is the complete lack of a hell element, which is jaw-droppingly stupid because the "Whoops, demons!" plot point is Doom's dues ex machina; it allows anything to happen, and could have made for a visually strong haunted house film ala Event Horizon. Instead, it became one of several dozen casualties of the video game movie genre, which to this day has produced very few gems, except perhaps for the original Silent Hill.

My friend once told me that it would be on cable. I sat down to watch it from start to finish. I remember questioning myself what I was watching and what it had to do with Doom. About 30 mins into the movie, I realized I could be playing Doom or doing literally anything else instead of watching it so I went and played Doom.

I watched it out on TV once , the thing about the doom movie it's that it was... mediocre at best, it wasn't bad enough like super mario brothers to entertain me me about how bad it was, nor it was entertaining enough like mortal kombat to make it a guilty pleasure... it just was a bad, forgetable movie, the only original thing about it was the FPS scene and it wasn't that good tbh but it stands out of all the mediocre film before and after that scene.

To be honest i keep forgetting it was a thing

Edited by DMPhobos : typo

It's alright, it's got that 80's/90's sci-fi/action fluff charm to it where it just throws immense amounts of bullshit lore you don't understand/care about at you and then says "fuck it" and turns it all into one giant set piece driven purely by some confusing bullshit that they just pull out their arse (eg: lol you C24 superhuman now k, I know cuz ur my bro).

It's dumb fun that you really don't need to be invested in to enjoy, not trash but not 5 stars.

it's an ok action film that people pour hyperbolic scorn on. i wonder how exactly you DO live up to the doom lore, have no dialogue or character development at all?

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

except perhaps for the original Silent Hill.

I would argue that this is one of the worst video game adaptations out there, but that's for another day I suppose.

I watched it out of curiosity once. I think it's a meh movie, not terrible, just boring. But why, why did they have to turn the demons into genetic experiments??? WTF? How can you remove pretty much the only thing that makes Doom, you know... Doom?

It also seems loosely based off of Doom 3, which is, in itself, a terrible idea for a Doom movie.

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

i wonder how exactly you DO live up to the doom lore, have no dialogue or character development at all?

You do it by not changing the little lore the game has, ffs.

The first person sequence was cool though.

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

I wonder how exactly you DO live up to the doom lore, have no dialogue or character development at all?

Judging by all the praise it's gotten on the internet, probably similar to how Doom '16 Did it.

7 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

You do it by not changing the little lore the game has, ffs.

Also this.

The existing doom movie would make a great prequel to a more faithful doom movie; bring back the rock as the protagonist with a... violent past, have him not remember his death and spend the 90 minutes of run time on him killing demons in Hell (or whatever settings Hell gives to him) slowly figuring out/remembering that he's been dead the whole time and he forgot to give the keys to his house to anybody to watch his pet rabbit Daisy before he left on his last mission. I guess the overall conflict could be that while he does good at killing stuff, what he is doing isn't the right solution to his problems as Hell still continues to operate and control his possible actions despite all the demons he kills. In that same sense, the Doomguy could also be made into less of a main character and more as a force of nature in terms of his screen time, given that plot could leave little he couldn't handle without sacrifice. It would depend on how it's done I suppose. But the rock looks more like Doomguy and his character struck me as more like Doomguy than urban's, plus the idea of Doomguy being dead already and in Hell from the get-go always appealed to me, as it explains why Hell can never be beaten; part of the eternal torment of those there.

1 minute ago, Fonze said:

The existing doom movie would make a great prequel to a more faithful doom movie; bring back the rock as the protagonist with a... violent past, have him not remember his death and spend the 90 minutes of run time on him killing demons in Hell (or whatever settings Hell gives to him) slowly figuring out/remembering that he's been dead the whole time and he forgot to give the keys to his house to anybody to watch his pet rabbit Daisy before he left on his last mission. I guess the overall conflict could be that while he does good at killing stuff, what he is doing isn't the right solution to his problems as Hell still continues to operate and control his possible actions despite all the demons he kills. In that same sense, the Doomguy could also be made into less of a main character and more as a force of nature in terms of his screen time, given that plot could leave little he couldn't handle without sacrifice. It would depend on how it's done I suppose. But the rock looks more like Doomguy and his character struck me as more like Doomguy than urban's, plus the idea of Doomguy being dead already and in Hell from the get-go always appealed to me, as it explains why Hell can never be beaten; part of the eternal torment of those there.

This but the whole movie is in first person

I've seen it. It isn't a bad film for a standard action flick, but for a film based on something else it is pretty bad. I think if doom were to be done right, it should have been Diehard meets Aliens with a lot of jokes and 80s-90s references.

I said it in another thread a while back, but if they made a new movie it should have attitude of Thor Ragnarok.

As for this movie, yeah it's crap. Except the first person part, but not because it's first person, but because in comparison to the rest of the movie it's at least original and truer to the game. Also they drew inspiration heavily from Doom 3, which is not most doomiest of Dooms, but I guess they weren't even trying to do anything groundbreaking with this movie from the start. They kind of knew they were making a B movie, so it's not so intolerable.

I have said this before, but Id should make their own, smaller film. 

It doesn't have to be a big, blockbuster film, nor does it have to be longer than say 30-40 minutes. It should ideally be a longer version of the Doom 2016 commercial. The Papers, Please short flick was a perfect adaptation of the game. Short and to the point, no pointless filler. I am not saying that the Doom movie should be as short, what I am saying is that it should be as long as it needs to be. I see no reason why video game movies should have to adhere to the rigid structure of regular cinema.

30 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I have said this before, but Id should make their own, smaller film. 

It doesn't have to be a big, blockbuster film, nor does it have to be longer than say 30-40 minutes. It should ideally be a longer version of the Doom 2016 commercial. The Papers, Please short flick was a perfect adaptation of the game. Short and to the point, no pointless filler. I am not saying that the Doom movie should be as short, what I am saying is that it should be as long as it needs to be. I see no reason why video game movies should have to adhere to the rigid structure of regular cinema.

This idea reminds me of that Warhammer 40k short film that came out in the 90's, though what you have in mind would be more akin to that cinematic trailer than something a bunch a dudes filmed in a warehouse on a VHS camera (not to say that's bad).

On 3/1/2018 at 10:29 AM, FraxGamer314 said:

Only good part was the first person sequence for its originality,other than that...a big cash-grab.

I liked that part of the movie, too. In fact, it probably was my favorite part.

I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't what it could've been. They essentially took the Doom mythos and recast it as zombie aliens on Mars instead of demons from Hell on Mars. I understand why they went with zombie aliens instead of demons, but it still took something away from the movie. I guess you could say they weren't zombie aliens so much as enhanced beings on Mars that went mad with some sort of mutation and developed a hunger for flesh.

Although the Rock being dragged away and shouting, "This isn't supposed to happen to me!" (or something like that) was a nice touch.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:59 AM, Catpho said:

It turned doom into a bad parody of Alien

Seeing as how Doom was inspired by Alien, you're statement is not so far off.

I forgot to mention...

I went to see Doom in the theater with a friend. Both our wives came, too. The two of them left within the first 5 minutes to go watch "Chicken Little." Doom was OK, but honestly, they probably had the better time watching Chicken Little.

I think it's pointless to bash this movie. Everybody knows its a bad movie. It's beating a dead horse. I would find more interesting to talk about the things they did right:

- The design of the monsters (given it came out just after Doom 3 it made sense to be around D3 Monsters and they absolutely nailed the design of the creatures).

- Casting Karl Urban as Doomguy, The Rock as the Sarge (yeah, bald guy in black uniform that is a sergeant, reference to Shotgunguy) and that black guy (Destroyer) with the minigun (reference to the Chaingunguy).

- Getting the essential blend of Evil Dead meets Aliens that made the original game possible. You have an Aliens clone script about military guys going into a space colony to save colonists from baddies, and the humor of Evil Dead (I can name several scenes that nailed the over the top humor of Evil Dead perfectly, Destroyer beating a Hell Knight with a CRT screen, the way Portman dies in the bathroom, Pinky's lines,  the "Doctor's Carmack situation is irreversible" scene, the entire FPS part, but specially the part where he shoots the zombie's axe and it breaks and hits his head).
- A perfect soundtrack. In times where movie "soundtracks" are just drone noise and two notes being stretched, or completely out of place licensed songs, Clint Mansell deserves to be praised for his work. The FPS song also sounds a lot like a re-imagination of At Hell's Gate.

- The design of the BFG, and I still can't thank enough Eriance for making a sprite out of it.

It's enraging because they did so many difficulty things right, and fucked up so many easy things that just makes you wonder "how did this happen?".
If it just had a better script (focusing more on a history of the Marines being outnumbered and fighting to survive, retreating through the base and barricading themselves, like, if you are going to copy the script of Aliens, then please do it right) and stayed faithful to the demons from hell plot, this could have been easily the greatest videogame movie ever.