Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Opinions on Modern First Person Shooters

I think nonexistent AI should be there on the list. FPS are existing for almost 3 decades, and yet you have to face against absolutely brain dead enemies. Seriously, why devs can't make them more complex? F.E.A.R was released 13 years ago, and all enemies would react to environment, cooperate with each other to make some tactical flanking against players and e.t.c. Or half-life 1, which was released 20 years ago, with absolutely insanely detailed enemy behaviour, like houndeye would go to sleep state if it wasn't in danger, or Vortigaunts would reatreat if they are low on health. To summarise it, fightning against human reincarnation of brick wall is not exactly fun, at least in my opinion.

Edited by BioRenegat

HL2 gunship AI was smart enough to shoot the rockets you fired at it, and that was a complete accident.

How did AI reach a peak around '04/'05 and go downhill? That doesn't make any sense.

@jupiter_ex Well F.E.A.R. 1 looks a lot cleaner compared to its sequel, which is really flashy, but the grenades have trails and loud FX still making them easy to spot. In CoD you would never see or hear the grenade that the indicator informs you of, which its fuse only gets shorter on higher difficulties.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

HL2 gunship AI was smart enough to shoot the rockets you fired at it, and that was a complete accident.

How did AI reach a peak around '04/'05 and go downhill? That doesn't make any sense.

And it was really fun when it did that. Finally, steering your rockets was not something you did just for the sake of it in HL2 (technically even HL1 has this feature but it's never really seen during regular gameplay since you don't actually have to rely on the feature at any time). It was not a feature put there for nothing.

Since we were on the subject of HL, @Chezza (if I'm not confusing people), Striders are not vehicles lol, they're Synth. All this talk reminds me of the original design of HL2, and supposedly the Steam version of Missing Information is coming sometime this year. After all these years of silence we're getting something new. I really, really hope all concepts will be brought to life with time, but not just yet. The first version won't come with new chapters, just new features and improvements.

Edited by Agent6

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The soldiers though sucked. They have great basic combat AI but crippled stats, particularly accuracy, making any and all combat a boring slog. Furthermore they have retarded hard coding forcing them to charge towards the player if their vision is obstructed for any length of time; this can include them leaving their cover to charge because the player strafes across a room and in doing so passes a ceiling beam.

That they did. If Valve and Monolith combined their AI efforts, FEAR and HL2 would quite possibly have been the greatest games of all time.

And they're already pretty good.

22 minutes ago, Rifle Infantry said:

The soldiers though sucked. They have great basic combat AI but crippled stats, particularly accuracy, making any and all combat a boring slog. Furthermore they have retarded hard coding forcing them to charge towards the player if their vision is obstructed for any length of time; this can include them leaving their cover to charge because the player strafes across a room and in doing so passes a ceiling beam.

Honestly they're pretty deadly on Hard even with a supposedly crappy accuracy, unless they're equipped with SMGs. Let's face it, that's a terrible weapon regardless of who's using it. These soldiers are not a threat unless they come in larger numbers, but those with AR2s can easily be a threat depending on the circumstances.

And there's also the Shotgunners who spit in the face of accuracy, you really don't want to come close to them on higher difficulty since they deal a ton of damage and their shotguns lack the pump action.

129G.gif

Edited by Agent6

38 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

And there's also the Shotgunners who spit in the face of accuracy, you really don't want to come close to them on higher difficulty since they deal a ton of damage and their shotguns lack the pump action.

Just like Doom's shotgunners!

Pump action my ass, in their hands that thing's semi-automatic. Particularly on -fast.

2 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@Agent6 Missing Information looks neat!

It certainly did, it certainly still does 👌👌.

Traptown.jpg

Let's hide in the old Ravenholm before the Consul finds us. Oh, did you know the Consul (aka Breen in the final product) was going to become immortal thanks to Combine technology?

"The true citizen knows that duty is the greatest gift." - Consul quote. Damn I love that voice, he seemed a more interesting character than Breen ended up being.

Eli Vance was originally supposed to be Captain (or was it Colonel) Vance in charge of the Conscripts, as I remember, and Alyx wasn't going to be related to him (though I may have that wrong) and the game was supposed to be set in America.

9 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Eli Vance was originally supposed to be Captain (or was it Colonel) Vance in charge of the Conscripts, as I remember, and Alyx wasn't going to be related to him (though I may have that wrong) and the game was supposed to be set in America.

Not exactly set, but yes the architecture was initially largely inspired by the US instead of Eastern Europe. Here's an example:

latest?cb=20090323214206&path-prefix=en

Yes it was Captain Vance in charge of the Conscripts and Alyx was not related to him at all as well. There's also Odell on Borealis, who was recycled in Odessa in the final game, and Elena Mossman on the Kraken Base -> Judith Mossman. Lots and lots of things were changed, what a pity... 

Oh, not to mention you originally had an even larger arsenal, 20 or more weapons if I'm not mistaken. But, we have to thank that Anon guy for ending up with a completely different game, Valve wouldn't have changed the game so much if it wasn't for the leak.

I'm starting to realize that my previous posts here have things related to Borderlands, so I just want to point something out

When it comes to a weapon limit, I think it makes sense in Borderlands, since it's an FPSRPG, and in RPGs you have a small amount of weapons to work with, though you can change them at any time.

And Borderlands 2 has health regen as an upgrade (provided your shield is full), so it's optional there, which is perfectly fine by me.

I do indeed love Borderlands and I'm willing to make some exceptions when it comes to modern shooters, and Borderlands happens to be that exception.