Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Doom: Hell on Earth 0.1

Having just completed Doom: Evil Unleashed - Special Edition, now is a good time to release the first chapter of my next story. This one won't be completely true to the story line in Doom 2, because the story line in Doom 2 wasn't awfully well thought-out imho, and I'm trying to fix that in this story. Read and enjoy.

Welcome to

Doom: Hell on Earth

The Nightmare – Part 1

I wake up. Looking around, I find myself on a grassy field. Wherever I look, I see nothing but grass. The sky is gray. There’s a strange stench in the air.

Then it dawns on me. It’s the stench of burnt flesh.

I turn around and see spread out before me a sea of flame and then I realize that I’m the only survivor. I suddenly realize that the flames are closing in on me, slowly surrounding me. I run. I run away from the flames with my heart pounding in my chest. To no avail. The flames are everywhere.

I’m surrounded by fire. Wherever I look there’s only fire. I suddenly see vague shapes approaching me through the fire. Transparent human shapes with white, pupil less eyes. They stare at me with their dead eyes, then laugh evilly at me. They surround me, constantly laughing maniacally.

Then they vanish into thin air and the fire around me subsides and finally dies out. I see before me nothing but burnt and charred ground.

I hear a sound behind me and turn around again.
Two shadows approach me. They slowly take form and become human in appearance. Their faces appear.

Faces, which I’ve only seen on a picture.

It’s the faces of my long dead parents whom I’ve never met in real life because they died, shortly after my birth. They smile at me.

They suddenly burst into flame and transform before my eyes. They turn into horrid, skeletal creatures, with eternally burning flesh and hollow, glowing white eyes. They open their mouths to reveal long sharp teeth. They roar at me and reach out for me with their long, clawed, skeletal hands…

-

This was where I usually woke up whenever I had this nightmare.

The nightmare always seemed to return. It was the worst when I was a kid, but I gradually got used to it.

But now, the nightmare seemed to have become close to true.

I raised my head and looked at the city ahead of me. This reminded me too much of that accursed nightmare – the grassy fields and the fire. I almost expected the fire to come and enshroud me and the souls of the dead to show up and surround me, but it didn’t happen.

-

For more than two days, I had been fighting a seemingly hopeless battle against what would be man’s worst nightmare unleashed on Mars’ two moons – and beyond.

An experiment on interdimensional space travel conducted by the Union Aerospace Corporation in conjunction with the military went badly wrong when otherworldly creatures with a demonic appearance poured out of the gateways. My buddies and I had been sent to Phobos – the site of the first of the two gateways. There we encountered and fought these terrors for endless hours.

The battle had ultimately taken me to Hell itself, which proved to me that the demonic creatures where indeed demons from Hell.

When it all seemed hopeless, I had found a demonic machine, powering an infernal gateway which had brought me back home – a home, which now lay in complete ruin.

I was the only survivor. The rest of the army unit had been killed in the most brutal ways.

-

I wanted to lie down and just let death take me, when I suddenly heard a noise in the distance. I leapt to my feet and picked up the BFG 9000 – a prototype plasma weapon with enormous destructive capabilities. The monstrous weapon was still powered with energy cells and ready to deal destruction.
I folded up the advanced prototype weapon, put it back on the hatches above my life support system on my back and retrieved my trusty shotgun.

The noise in the distance was the sound of combat – evidence that there were still humans left to fight against the demons. I decided that no matter how exhausted I was I’d still fight to try and save my fellow humans. I headed towards the city with weapon in hand and a rock steady determination.

A large horde of human refugees suddenly poured out of the city. The sight was terrible.

A few of them were driving hover cars, but most of them were on foot. I saw families with children and the sight of terror on their small faces gave me a sting in my heart. I saw old people with bleeding wounds, hobble as fast as they could to keep up with the rest.
The sight enraged me even more and made me forget the fatigue.

A burst of gunfire suddenly rang out and I saw a young woman writhe in pain and fall over as dust was whirled up at the ground behind her.

I turned my head and saw a former human soldier with an assault rifle advancing on the rapidly panicking crowd of refugees. I ran as fast as my tired legs allowed me and raised my shotgun while running.
I saw the zombiefied human raise its weapon, and take aim at the fleeing refugees. I fired the shotgun although I couldn’t bring the full effect of the weapon to bear on the monster on this distance.
The undead soldier let out a howl of pain as one of the shotgun pellets hammered into its side.

I pumped the shotgun while running. I was closing the distance fast. I could see it turn around to face me. It opened its mouth and let out an angry growl.

My finger made contact to the trigger and the shotgun roared again, sending the monster flying through the air with a couple of holes in its body.
I went over to the corpse and checked if it remained dead. I could see that it had been a young marine, around the age of twenty, with short, well-trimmed hair, which was now green as the toxic waste on Phobos and Deimos. The former human was clearly dead.

I went over to the woman which had been fired upon.
Blood ran from a wound in her back, but movement revealed that she was still alive. I knelt down next to her and turned her around.
She was a pretty, young black woman – not much younger than 15-16 years old. She stared at me with fear in her eyes – the kind of fear I had seen in the faces of the dead humans on Phobos and Deimos. Blood ran out of her mouth.

“Run…” she whispered. “save… your..self, you can…not…save….me!”

I didn’t listen to her, but retrieved a stim syringe from a cartridge I kept inside my vest beneath the armor. I had kept it as a spare.
I gave her a quick injection and got up. She stared at me in surprise. The blood stopped running from her mouth and she began to look a little better. I hoped I had saved her life, but I couldn’t do anything else for her now.

I turned my back on her without a word, picked up my shotgun again and headed towards the city. I heard her voice behind me, begging me to stay away from the city for my own sake.

I ignored her warnings and entered the ruined city.

Omg dude, great job! I cannot wait until the marine encounters a monster he hasn't seen before. And damnit, give him the BFG 2704 (shoots out tons of little energy balls, check it out in Eternity, you set it as the BFG in the weapons menu) and the rifle with a bayonet (a weapon that was going to be in Doom but never made it) as well as a few new weapons not seen in Doom. That would rule.

Hmm, could perhaps give the BFG 2704 a tiny role.

Oooh, not even having read the whole thing yet I have to point out that the way you structure your sentences in the nightmare scene, short, somewhat frantic, really sets the mood quite well.

Once again, awesome, truly awesome, work there I really admire your ability to create such epic and magnificent stories. Keep up the remarkable work Dsm!

Maybe the Doom guy should use light amplification visors more in dark areas, which would allow for some tense/scary moments. For example, he puts it on, then sees a person's death played out...except that the person isn't there, it's just a replay of their demise.

DB shotgun is a must. Maybe a chainsaw could make it in, as long as it's plausible.

Excellent work mate; you've built upon the refugee/evacuation idea and made much more out of it than id originally did.

Aside from the odd spelling mistake (and let's face it, i make the most of them around here), it's spot on - the nightmare scenes are fast-placed and harrowing.

Keep posting!

Spike said:

Aside from the odd spelling mistake (and let's face it, i make the most of them around here)

Are You Quite sure of that? I dont mean to question you at all but, I've been getting complaint letters of ma spelling since I joined. You may have competition my freind. ;)

There, spelling mistake fixed (the curse of using a word you don't normally use is that you're bound to screw it up).

Give the Space Marine a Double Barreled Shotgun ( my favorite weapon ) and not another BFG.

The reasons why I didn't include it in my first story are the following:
1. By the time I wrote it, I had no clear idea of how to implement it so that it made sense. How the Hell would an ol'fashioned break barrel shotgun make sense in a story set in the future, which I was trying to do as realistic as I could (and still true to the game)?

But don't worry, I HAVE found a way to make it so that it makes sense, even if it means that I have to change the way it functions a slight bit (it will still have a break-barrel function of sorts).

2. Doom 1 never had a db shotgun, so I decided to leave it out and save it for Hell on Earth (as to give Hell on Earth some spice to provide different situations to those in Evil Unleashed).

So bottom line, this story will have the double barreled shotgun in some form and I might include the BFG 2704 somewhere, playing a minor role (but it will not be handled by the Doomguy and it will definitely be less effective than the 9000 one).

DOOM Anomaly said:

Are You Quite sure of that? I dont mean to question you at all but, I've been getting complaint letters of ma spelling since I joined. You may have competition my freind. ;)

I can't remember if i corrected them all, but have a look at my stories on the fanfic index thread and see if you can find any more ;)

Well, I couldn't find any stories in the fanfic threads, but however I did find the one with ur web-site on it :) Tremendous great job on ur web site Spike! :)

DOOM Anomaly said:

Well, I couldn't find any stories in the fanfic threads, but however I did find the one with ur web-site on it :) Tremendous great job on ur web site Spike! :)

Eh? Flip onto page one in that thread, there should be a clearly visible "Spike's stories:" post with links to a story called "The Underworld" at the very bottom.

Oic, I found the 3 stories on Spikes site, which are Immensely great imo, but I cant get the second story tho...the second and third link goto the third story...Besides a few spelling mistakes cant tarnish the superb quality of the stories I have Read from Spike and Dsm. :)

DOOM Anomaly said:

Oic, I found the 3 stories on Spikes site, which are Immensely great imo, but I cant get the second story tho...the second and third link goto the third story...Besides a few spelling mistakes cant tarnish the superb quality of the stories I have Read from Spike and Dsm. :)

I've just fixed the link to the second chapter on my site, should work fine now :)