Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qweqioweuo123

can you get smooth FPS on this wad?

my fps suck on the eye when I am aiming at the center of the map

is my computer too old for modern wads?

I got a q6600 CPU and 8 GB of RAM and a R7850 GPU...

using GZDoom

If map is in boom format, maybe it's worth to give it try in prboom+? It handles a bit better large count of monsters. 

10 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

If map is in boom format, maybe it's worth to give it try in prboom+? It handles a bit better large count of monsters. 

where do i download prboom+?

It is indeed boom format. I strongly recommend a port such as prboom+ or glboom+ (they come together). They're extremely easy to setup and use, especially compared to zdoom ports. They also actually run decently.

If you're still spooked, try this starter pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ik8431iwjazdc/prboom-plus-2.5.1.5-starterpack_v3.zip?dl=1

It skips the 30 second first-time setup process and includes various .txt and .bat files to help you understand everything (as well as a corrected automap).

You will, however, be unable to play zdoom-only maps or mods, as well as multiplayer. So if you're big into mods like brutal doom and whatnot, pr/glboom+ isn't for you, but if you don't, there's absolutely no reason you can't use pr/glboom+ (or another nice little port) as your main source port, and use zdoom whenever the circumstances call for it.

12 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

my fps suck on the eye when I am aiming at the center of the map

The map you are playing there is quite a big one with lots of "open geometry", and if you crank all of GZDoom's settings up to get the most visual enhancements possible, then it's gonna be a problem unless you're running a pretty powerful gear.

That map by the way is meant to be played in Boom-compatible source ports, and if it doesn't behave properly in GZDoom, switch to PrBoom+, or GLBoom+, they come in the same package.

i tried prboom in gl mode and it was smoother

i will use prboom for the classic wads I guess.. with gzdoom the detailed ones go down in fps, and i dont use anything fancy on gzdoom other than the dynamic lightmaps

is there a way to make the crosshair a bit bigger tho? "scale crosshair" makes it too big and the default mode is too small

also for some reason, the mouse sensitivity feels higher on the vertical axis.. how do I get it even?

1 hour ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

is there a way to make the crosshair a bit bigger tho? "scale crosshair" makes it too big and the default mode is too small

also for some reason, the mouse sensitivity feels higher on the vertical axis.. how do I get it even?

I don't think you can alter the crosshair size outside of changing the resolution, I'm sorry best friend. ;~;

for the vertical axis aiming, go to "options -> mouse sensitivity" and adjust the "mouse look" slider to your liking

edit:

10 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

prB+ comes with an auto-loading wad named prboom-plus.wad. It contains lots of things, such as graphics for the crosshairs

before typing this post, i checked prboom.wad in slade instead of prboom-plus.wad because i'm a frickin idiot dummy

Edited by bonnie

19 minutes ago, bonnie said:

I don't think you can alter the crosshair size outside of changing the resolution, I'm sorry best friend. ;~;

for the vertical axis aiming, go to "options -> mouse sensitivity" and adjust the "mouse look" slider to your liking

but there's no number, so i dont know if it's even or not

3 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Who cares if it's "even" as long as it makes you hit what you are gunning for?

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Who cares if it's "even" as long as it makes you hit what you are gunning for?

i do

i play mostly quake where it's even

also on gzdoom it's even

this thing feels weird

8 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

you just gotta eyeball it, ya know?*

also in gzdoom i have to set vertical sensitivity to half of horizontal for them to be even

but seriously, just adjust the slider until it feels/looks correct. if you have to set both sliders to 0 and then count each notch you make on them to get them even, then so be it friend.

*will not work without eyeballs 

prB+ comes with an auto-loading wad named prboom-plus.wad. It contains lots of things, such as graphics for the crosshairs (and presumably sexy monster butt pics). 

JR8m4pV.png

You could grab SLADE3 and a basic image editor and resize the crosshairs that way -- or perhaps whine for someone to do it, since that tack has gotten results in this thread thus far. 

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Self-reminder: do not click any link that contains the words "sexy", "monster" and/or "butt" together... 

I fixed that for you ;-)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Runs fine for me on GZDoom 3.x. i5-3450 @ 3.7, 32GB RAM, GTX 980

15 hours ago, bonnie said:

you just gotta eyeball it, ya know?*

also in gzdoom i have to set vertical sensitivity to half of horizontal for them to be even

but seriously, just adjust the slider until it feels/looks correct. if you have to set both sliders to 0 and then count each notch you make on them to get them even, then so be it friend.

*will not work without eyeballs 

this is pretty lame

doesn't this have a console so I can just look at the commands and see a number?

"I can't". lmao ok.

What you mean to say is you mean you don't want to. Well, to this I present you two choices.

• lag with all your excessive enhancements
  • or play it with the intended port in the intended way as per the author's specification.

(This is said as a new-school Doomer who prefers GZDoom with extra features such as Bloom etc enabled. Sometimes you need to tone it down and enjoy it as Doom once was.)

44 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

this is dissapointing then. i cant play doom without smooth weapon animations anymore.

I am pretty sure I remember seeing smooth weapons ported to prboom, as much as is possible anyway. anyone know the name of that wad by chance?

12 minutes ago, Tango said:

I am pretty sure I remember seeing smooth weapons ported to prboom, as much as is possible anyway. anyone know the name of that wad by chance?

I'm pretty sure I have them, both a regular version and one with black gloves, but I'm away from my computational device right now so I'm completely worthless unless nobody is able to find said wads for several hours :c

I played 'The Eye' a while ago using Zdoom (not GZdoom) and it worked fine for me. Preferences are preferences, I can't run GZdoom on my old PC anyways.

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

"I can't". lmao ok.

What you mean to say is you mean you don't want to. Well, to this I present you two choices.

• lag with all your excessive enhancements
  • or play it with the intended port in the intended way as per the author's specification.

(This is said as a new-school Doomer who prefers GZDoom with extra features such as Bloom etc enabled. Sometimes you need to tone it down and enjoy it as Doom once was.)

i dont use any enhancemnents, other than perk's smooth anitmations and high def sounds also by perk

and I tried hellbound and map29 is laggy even on prboom

5 hours ago, Tango said:

i believe someone did a dehacked version which was kinda wacky and i ditched it

2 hours ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

i believe someone did a dehacked version which was kinda wacky and i ditched it

oh hahah alright. I never used it myself, just knew it was out there.

on the topic of fps loss though, I actually booted up GZDoom up on a Macbook Pro for the first time the other day, and was getting ~25 fps no matter what I seemed to do. I tried turning off dynamic lights, selecting a much smaller resolution, and even decreasing the screensize significantly, but nothing could get me above 25 fps. then I switched to software mode in GZdoom and suddenly I'm getting 120+ fps. it sounds like this is probably not the same thing you encountered - but figure it might be worth trying anyway, if you haven't tried software mode in GZDoom yet