Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimes

What's your favourite MIDI soundfont?

I'm particularly looking for sound fonts that are old, classic, dated, or nostalgic, but perhaps higher quality than than your typical Sound Blaster/OPL3 and other similar ones.

The SC-55 Soundset  is ok, but the MT-32 sucks badly. BTW sysex-wise it's not compatible.

But best choice is still the good old SCC-1 (or SC-55/155) :-)

Of course, but for Doom the SC55/155/SCC-1 is best, because the soundtrack was made for them.

4 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Of course, but for Doom the SC55/155/SCC-1 is best, because the soundtrack was made for them.

This is a "post your favorite" thread, not "tell other people what to do" thread.

Weeds GM3(?) does the job.

Not sure how one would go about extracting those for use on a computer (if anyone has any idea i'll gladly hear it), but I'm quite partial to the soundfonts built into old phones (such as a Nokia 6131 or old Sony Ericsson models) from the pre-smartphone era when phones could still play MIDIs. They might not sound super high quality but I quite enjoy the sound myself.

4 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Yea fite me m8

BTW: M$ bought this from Roland...:-)

10 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

This is a "post your favorite" thread, not "tell other people what to do" thread.

Aha..
I generally tend to prefer hardware over any soundfont; the ability to edit the presets (envelopes, filters, modulation, FX etc. )
is most important to me to finetuning an arrangement. So for Doom it is clearly the original SoundCanvas and for most

other MIDI's (if it should be Roland-compatible) it is my SK88Pro (best and most powerful SoundCanvas) . Otherwise:
Yammie's Tyros or Genos do their job astonishingly well, FOR MY TASTE.

The roland one that is a higher quality version of the MS soundfont.

20 hours ago, DoomGater said:

BTW: M$ bought this from Roland...:-)

Yeah, heard that before.