Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dial-up

What's your favourite MIDI soundfont?

I'm particularly looking for sound fonts that are old, classic, dated, or nostalgic, but perhaps higher quality than than your typical Sound Blaster/OPL3 and other similar ones.

The SC-55 Soundset  is ok, but the MT-32 sucks badly. BTW sysex-wise it's not compatible.

But best choice is still the good old SCC-1 (or SC-55/155) :-)

4 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Of course, but for Doom the SC55/155/SCC-1 is best, because the soundtrack was made for them.

This is a "post your favorite" thread, not "tell other people what to do" thread.

Not sure how one would go about extracting those for use on a computer (if anyone has any idea i'll gladly hear it), but I'm quite partial to the soundfonts built into old phones (such as a Nokia 6131 or old Sony Ericsson models) from the pre-smartphone era when phones could still play MIDIs. They might not sound super high quality but I quite enjoy the sound myself.

4 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Yea fite me m8

BTW: M$ bought this from Roland...:-)

10 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

This is a "post your favorite" thread, not "tell other people what to do" thread.

Aha..
I generally tend to prefer hardware over any soundfont; the ability to edit the presets (envelopes, filters, modulation, FX etc. )
is most important to me to finetuning an arrangement. So for Doom it is clearly the original SoundCanvas and for most

other MIDI's (if it should be Roland-compatible) it is my SK88Pro (best and most powerful SoundCanvas) . Otherwise:
Yammie's Tyros or Genos do their job astonishingly well, FOR MY TASTE.

20 hours ago, DoomGater said:

BTW: M$ bought this from Roland...:-)

Yeah, heard that before.