Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SayWhatOneMoreTime

What do you think comes after death?

18 hours ago, Avoozl said:

But we do not yet have installations on Mars and its moons. :P

Oh that's right. I think I've become so Doom-obsessed that I'm blending fantasy with reality.... :)

I personally feel that after death, our conciseness will go to an alternative universe where we will be born as a new or even similar person. Of course, our memories would be wiped out in the process.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:40 AM, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

What do you think comes after death?

Life.

Haven't read everyone's responses, but I figured I'd answer the question. I've never been a strong religious believer any which way, but I was curious about christianity as a child (and tried to be an all-out believer during a period of major teen heartache). Parents were laxidaisical about it ("make up your own mind"). I ended up not feeling it, for one it fails as a believable faith (for me personally) at the absolute need of accepting Jesus as your savior to gain access to heaven. A savage living outside of the church's reach but by happenstance living in accord with the ten commandments, is as comndemned to hell as any deadly sinner. I don't believe it works like that (I'm sure a christian could argue this point, but I'm not here to argue over faiths and the disagreement runs deeper than that anyway - favorite piece from the bible is Matthew 7:3 though). Getting more into philosophy I liked the idea of sentience basically being the universe trying to figure itself out and that upon death whatever experiences you had would get melded with a greater "benign" consciousness that for lack of a better term, "summarizes", adjusting its course through existing based on what life experiences it absorbs. These days though, I don't feel like I need a system of belief. If there is anything beyond death it is unknowable to the living. I don't find the idea of just ceasing in every way spiritual upon death horrifying. I'm more worried about the potentially long and uncomfortable downward slope that might take me there. Might prefer dying abruptly, but I'm in no rush. If I was so depressed as to seriously consider killing myself (I've had plenty dark thoughts), I think I'd try to be a decent dog owner first, see if that worked out.

Edited by Soundblock

9 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I hope there is something, literally anything but dark bleak tartarus style void would be great.

Maybe we get to live in oblivion (Elder scrolls reference) No really, I would love to live in an elder scrolls type world after I die.

Don't know what comes after death, but guess I'll find out. For now, I simply look on it as REALLY getting away from it all. The great escape.

I'm a strong believer in reincarnation. 

Our body dies, and then we are reborn. Doesn't necessarily need to be a human body. I think my idea is best explained in Noragami Aragoto, for anyone who may have seen it, but if not (I won't spoil it), here's sort of the point:

When we die, our body dies, and then our soul may be in a sort of limbo for a little while before ending up in another physical body. When the soul is in this limbo, it reverts back to a state of semi-newness, so we forget our previous life experiences, but maybe get a feeling we've been in these types of situations before, but a really long time ago. 

I dunno. I think that's what happens. I have no idea how well I explained that :P There's also a really long-winded, trippy book from the '70's called Seth Speaks that also sort of explains this the same way I just did, but on a much more detailed level. But yeah.

I have been watching videos where Dr. Jeffrey Long interviews and researches the near death experiences people have had when they were temporarily or clinically dead before being revived. These people generally avoid telling other people these experiences in fear of being ridiculed, people have even changed after having these experiences. People never saw anything related to their prior religious beliefs.

Edited by Avoozl

The body gets washed away deep in the seas, and the soul, free at last, reaches for the skies to find true peace...

And if you're being a dick about it, you become a Pinky!

Logically I'd say that after death, eternal nothingness awaits. Brain dies and the body disintegrates into the earth. You just don't exist any more.

However, how did our conscious selves appear in the first place? Why am I "inhabiting" this body and not other bodies? Maybe after death, there's someone's else turn to become my self? What happens if we manage to reproduce an artificial brain? Will that get a conscience too? Thinking about this is more reassuring than thinking about eternal nothingness (disclaimer: do not kill yourself to see how it is).

Stuff like heaven or hell seem obsolete, as they assume a soul is a separable component from body (now we know there's just physical energy, which is a lot simpler) which gets released and is guided to whatever moral plane they deserve (but the universe is amoral). Also their structures look too anthropomorphic (humans only belong to Earth, we know the universe is much bigger).

Really these questions seem to be the basic reasons (besides political) people have religions… It would be nice or interesting if there were a god who met with the souls of the deceased, but it's far too much wishful thinking popularized by religions.

1 hour ago, printz said:

Logically I'd say that after death, eternal nothingness awaits. Brain dies and the body disintegrates into the earth. You just don't exist any more.

However, how did our conscious selves appear in the first place? Why am I "inhabiting" this body and not other bodies? Maybe after death, there's someone's else turn to become my self? What happens if we manage to reproduce an artificial brain? Will that get a conscience too? Thinking about this is more reassuring than thinking about eternal nothingness (disclaimer: do not kill yourself to see how it is).

Stuff like heaven or hell seem obsolete, as they assume a soul is a separable component from body (now we know there's just physical energy, which is a lot simpler) which gets released and is guided to whatever moral plane they deserve (but the universe is amoral). Also their structures look too anthropomorphic (humans only belong to Earth, we know the universe is much bigger).

Really these questions seem to be the basic reasons (besides political) people have religions… It would be nice or interesting if there were a god who met with the souls of the deceased, but it's far too much wishful thinking popularized by religions.

After death, I think there's just nothing, which is depressing, really, but it's just how I think it is, and I'll explain in a moment.

However, the questions are really neat to consider.

In response to the first question, I think that it was really just an evolutionary accident, if that makes sense, that we've achieved consciousness and higher thought. And also agreed here, don't kill yourself to see how it actually is.

Personally, on the subject of heaven or hell, I don't believe in either, nor do I believe in a soul. The universe is amoral, being perpetually indifferent to everything that happens within, which also brings to light the fact that I don't believe in karma (or equivalent), either.

As for a god awaiting the souls of the dead, I agree that it's wishful thinking. I don't believe in a god proper, because I personally subscribe to the ubermensch philosophy by Friedrich Nietzsche, that man decides his own morals, which means to me that ultimately, nothing awaits us after death.

What this means is you should enjoy life while you're here and don't concern yourself overly with what other people think of you and your dis/likes, because you're here now, and you won't be forever, and life as best as I can tell, doesn't have any real direction for us to follow, so make your own way to make yourself happy, and if others are happy because of this, then that's really good.

Wow, out of a depressing view on death came a remarkably positive view on life. Life is pretty strange sometimes.

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Wow, out of a depressing view on death came a remarkably positive view on life. Life is pretty strange sometimes.

Enjoyed the rest of your post, 100% agreed and in that regard I hold the same views. Mostly.

Either way, this positive view on life shouldn't be seen as surprising based on whether something happens after we die or not. After all, could you still live your life to its fullest potential if you know you're "going to a better place" upon death? I very much doubt that. But I'm such a nonsense, I don't enjoy my life so far but rather the small things that bring me some joy, and yet, I'm not looking forward to dying anytime soon. Wow.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, SayWhatOneMoreTime said:

I'm just wanting to know what other people think comes after death.

Enough time to play doom baby!

As a Latter Day Saint, I could share our beliefs:

Although not everyone born has or will have the chance to accept the gospel in this life, they all have the chance to hear the gospel after death, in what we call the Spirit World (though they still choose whether or not to accept it.) Even those who don't accept the gospel of Jesus Christ in the Spirit World, but who still lived as good people on earth, will receive kingdoms of glory. Very few will be cast down to Hell. 

That is what I and others of my faith believe comes after death. :)

p.s. I should also clarify that the Spirit World is not the same as Map 29! XD