Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DiR

Ever wonder how Doomguy opens doors?

I've just been thinking about this recently. How DOES Doomguy open up these doors? He doesn't open up the panel on the lower right of the door, nor does there seem to be any visible switch that opens the door. The only viable method I see is that all of the doors in Doom are grunt-activated, and Doomguy just has to stand in front of it and grunt.

Anybody here who has any idea how he does this?

I always imagined the doors having a switch or something on them to open, just not visible, but never cared too much about this.

I assume he merely grabs the full weight of the door by the bottom and flings it up with brute strength, sometimes so forcefully that the door gets stuck and is never able to come back down.

4 minutes ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

I assume he merely grabs the full weight of the door by the bottom and flings it up with brute strength, sometimes so forcefully that the door gets stuck and is never able to come back down.

And the lighter doors are the ones that open faster.

Very funny! :)

Actually, The Doom Source Code explain how this happen.....

When a player location is at least 10 map unit (if i was not mistaken) from any sectors,the Doom Engine will checks if the location of the player had any doors,switches,etc next to him, (a) and the player is facing any doors  (b) and the doors status are open,wait,close or repeatable (c). If a non-repeatable doors has already make any operations (d), Doom does not allow this operations, the same thing if the door is locked.

So,

if (a), (b) (c) conditions are met, Doom Engine will allow the next operations.

MYSTERY SOLVED.

But one question raises another. I don't think we should care too much about this because there's something else that doesn't appear to make much sense as well.

The doors are debatable, but what about those lifts that are not activated by a switch or a panel for instance, how do these get activated?

Anways Agent 6, the Doom Engine also do the same thing, only different in sectors, executing,etc.

Maybe a door can detect touch anywhere on its surface, but only opens if the touch was done by hand or whatever appendage Doom monsters have, not by bullet or fireball or body slam

scifista42 statments maybe true, but the statement 'a door can detect touch anywhere' is argueable.

Doom Engine for me, is really full of bugs and quirks. Any sectors can be activated without regarding Z's position but with one conditions: The position of the player must be at least 10 map units.

For example, E2M2 on Doom are the easiest map for speedrunners. This is because the switch which is responsible to raise the platform that makes a way to exit can be activated without the keys.( See

COMPET-N Recordings for this.)

A bullet can activate any doors IF the sector has a flag allowing the activation of a door. Before Doom v1.4, any sectors can be activated by projectiles (Note that  bullets are hitscan attack, and does not registered as projectiles).After the fixes, the secret door in E1M2 which lead to the area with chainsaw inaccessible.So id Software add a flag to these sectors to make it accessible. This is call spechits.

Edited by Couldn't not display Name

But one question raises another. I don't think we should care too much about this because there's something else that doesn't appear to make much sense as well.

The doors are debatable, but what about those lifts that are not activated by a switch or a panel for instance, how do these get activated?

Maybe a door can detect touch anywhere on its surface, but also detects what did the touch, and only opens if the touch was done by hand or whatever appendage Doom monsters have, not by bullet or fireball or body slam.

Door: touch me

Doomguy: "grunt sound"

door opens

----------------

Imp: "do imp active sound"

door opens

Looks like doors understand humans and demons alike :)

9 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

door opens

----------------

Imp: "do imp active sound"

door opens

Looks like doors understand humans and demons alike :)

Heheheehhehe

He must prove his intelligence by having both tea and no tea at the same time.

8 minutes ago, Pyrolex said:

He simply UNFs

Grunt-activated sound sensors plus proximity sensors.

Must have sounded pretty strange at the labs before the demon invasion, just imagine all that grunting.

With these two magic words... "OPEN SESAME!"

...'course, since he can't talk, he has to think these words.

I always assumed doors were opened similarly to this:

9061549_gal.jpg

I guess this was a coop game; if they didn't both try opening the door at the same time they might have better success. Lucky doors.

Doom is one of these early video games where you had a very tight budget of processing power and memory, so it doesn't encumber itself implementing pointless details that don't add to gameplay. There's no reason to assume that he doesn't flip some switch, hit some button, or grab some handle even if you don't see these details on the texture or an animation of his hands.

Basically, the same way that he picks up items by running on them -- it's abstracted away in a videogamey manner, but if you had to write the novelization, assume he does it like a normal person would.

3 hours ago, Ichor said:

He must prove his intelligence by having both tea and no tea at the same time.

Sounds kind of like Schrödinger's cat...

25 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

FUCK THY SESAME

My new favorite gif (FUCK YOU, DOOR!)

26 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

giphy.gif

FUCK THY SESAME

I suddenly want Brutal Doom to have a flipoff-voice where he actually yells "FUCK THY SESAME"

6 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

wow, the new version of HDoom sounds crazy

9 hours ago, Novaseer said:

And the lighter doors are the ones that open faster.

But if the faster doors are lighter then why can't monsters open them

11 minutes ago, therektafire said:

No opposable thumbs?

23 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Because the monsters need to go to the gym more?

9 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Because the monsters need to go to the gym more?

Well they can open normal doors and if normal doors are supposedly heavier than fast ones you'd think they would be more than strong enough to open them