Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Warlock's Hearth

Well, I haven't done this for awhile, but I survived with a clear time of 1:11:50.  Category 1 run as I've never played the map prior to this.

Quite a fun level to blast through overall.  Lots of monsters, plenty of ammo, and me bumbling around like an idiot at times.  I do like how I basically squandered the majority of the megasphere that's behind some rsk bars in less than 30 seconds (and nearly got pegged by a cybie rocket not too long after, that jerk)

Just happy to have survived an ironman run for once and not die in some incredibly GJ ANIMA worthy fashion.

DWIronman_WarlH_AnimaZero.zip

One map now? I'm on!!! And I never saw this map, so I can do this blind for sure

For those wondering, I'll probably wait for the participation curve to dip to the low point in the middle of the month before trekking back to the old threads and updating the tables, there. Thanks to @RjY for putting that table in order last month... but I've still got snarky obituaries to write (and my own terrible run to acknowledge. Hey, it still counts because I said so)!

Welp, died in area after picking up the super shotty in 18 minutes, I believe. I took a careful approach this time and well, dead by an agitated projectile from a revenant.

Played in GLBoom+, blind category.

ld85warl.zip

I'm just as shocked as you are.

Survived in 1:15:13 - Category 1

A slight oddity - The intermission screen shows a different time to GZDoom's HUD clock, which is consistently 10 seconds offset from the video time, so I'm not sure why the intermission screen is wrong, but unfortunately the slower time from the HUD seems to be the correct one. Either way, I'm still behind Anima, just about. This wasn't a quick run, I played very cautiously and got lost a LOT. For a long time I couldn't find where to go and was too scared to enter a dark area where I could hear an archvile. I think a more confident player could definitely pull off the 40-50 minute blind time suggested in the OP, and I'm sure we're all looking forward to Krypto's run in.... 31:50. Closest guess wins? :P 

Two near death experiences, got blasted by an asshole arch and left with like 18 health or something and then took a direct hit from the last cyberdemon whilst trying to reach for the cell ammo. I still had 90 health + megaarmor, but I'm not sure I would've survived a second rocket there.

I liked this map. Not easy, but still manageable for me, so I can't say it was too difficult either. The later stages were very tense though, not unlike my experience of Coffee Break's final 2. A bit of an ammo shortage in the early stages which I would have preferred not to be a thing, but it later started giving out ammo in bigger quantities so that's nice. Great atmosphere with unsettling music, and there's similarities in the visuals to Base Ganymede by the same author, which I remember from TNS to be quite a good WAD.

Well done but goddamn it, Eris; I liked it better when you were a perennial cellar dweller. I've already given you the MIDI mantle so that you might leave me for dust. You can't have it both ways!

Edited by Alfonzo

Failed FDA in 47:10. Oddly enough, I went back and checked to make sure I was in UV- HMP has more monsters! :p  lol nevermind i misread it

Super cool map I hadn't played from Khorus before. Bit the bullet (quite literally) to some horrible hitscan dodging somewhere halfway around the experience. This thing changes themes and settings so often it kinda felt like it was a mashup of a few separate WADs or somethin', but it was super fun nonetheless. 

Edited by bioshockfan90

5 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

You can't have it both ways!

Indeed, I now find writing in MIDI very difficult and ~2:50 is my new norm. No joke! :P

🚨 Survived in 1:08:13 🚨 - Category 1

prboom-plus.exe -file .\WarlH.wad -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record noisy_WarlH.lmp -nomusic

i finally popped my ironman cherry! wooo. i'd celebrate but i gave up booze for a month.

there is one particular spot that might fuck up some people depending on how they enter it.  it almost got me.  i can only wait to see

Just now, NoisyVelvet said:

🚨 Survived in 1:08:13 🚨 - Category 1

prboom-plus.exe -file .\WarlH.wad -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record noisy_WarlH.lmp -nomusic

i finally popped my ironman cherry! wooo. i'd celebrate but i gave up booze for a month.

there is one particular spot that might fuck up some people depending on how they enter it.  it almost got me.  i can only wait to see

Nice!

Records show that your chain of deaths and DNFs started on the banks of Jenesis's Canal, way back in 2016, and continued through every single month to date. A very nice way to break the duck. Well done!

Well, this looks promising, but my goal is to finally beat Anima, so that'll be difficult going in blind. Especially when it's really cold, my lust for hot chocolate might reappear :(

Also I predict Krypto's time as 26:42. Oddly specific. 

Edited by NaZa

10 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

The Warlock's Hearth-complevel 9 (boom (strict)

Are you certain? It specifically states Limit Removing in the text file, so it should be -complevel 2

1 hour ago, NaZa said:

Also I predict Krypto's time as 26:42. Oddly specific. 

Well this is bizzare considering I've never played the map before xD

So this time around I figured I could stop by and try my luck.

So how did it turn out? Well of course, I failed to survive, unfortunately. After I completely ran out of ammo I got taken by surprise by an Arch Vile and got blown away (or did the splash damage from the Rocket Launcher kill me instead?). Eh, at least I tried and had fun while I was at it. Damn solid map, if only I could finish it in one go. Also experienced some frustration since the mouse just didn't want to cooperate with me during the recording for some reason, which is why my aiming sucks sometimes and looks like I was using the arrows instead.

Played and recorded in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 with the launch settings indicated in this thread. A 21min. (21:40 to be precise) long demo. Hope I didn't miss anything so that it's taken into consideration and I didn't just play for nothing. It's a blind playthrough of the map, I had no idea what lies ahead of me or lurks in the shadows and I didn't search for more info either (I didn't even read the description of the wad on the Downloads page lol).

agent6demo.zip

Category 2.

This is the first time I've recorded myself playing a game, and the first time in a while I used PrBoom, so it took a little getting used to. Now all my playing habits are exposed to the world, such as being incredibly stubborn about using cells, and avoiding pickups until I desperately need them (my last thought before dying was "I'd better go back for that secret berserk now"). Not included was my obsessive map checking, but even if I had I don't think the demo would reflect that anyway?

sifi270_warlh.zip

Category 2 attempt (I made a successful FDA of the beta version when it was posted).

Spoiler

Survived in 42:32

I had a decent memory of the overall layout but totally forgot the item placement, so finding the SSG and especially the damn plasmagun took way too long. The library area also confused me for a while because I somehow managed to miss the switch on top. Reckless playing resulted in some detours and slowdowns, so I'm not sure if it was worth it.

WarlH_mem_megaman.zip

moment.png.17e4dc063b605b05ef89b673d797adfb.png

It was at this moment he knew, he fucked up. (played the demo back for this sad scene)

Category 1. I don't know what happened. I was going around really smooth until I entered that nukage area. Then, things started going downhill a lot.

First, on the warp-in, a revenant decided my 121 HP was too much so he hit me and suddenly I had 51 HP! After some hits by mancubi my health managed to drop to 10% and remained like that some time, until I finally managed to regain composure and strike back (read: drank tea to calm his nerves down), got back to 100% or so. Got all three keys, and was heading to get out with a switch that let out a group of seemingly harmless revenants and a few mancubi teleported in to the other entrance. I killed the mancubus only for a stampedo of revenant rockets appear behind the corpse, hitting me in my feet and somehow lowering my health to 37%. I managed to kill all but one - and I went in his face to SSG his skull, but he was faster, and within a second I was laying dead and drinking mint tea angrily exactly 58 minutes after I started. 

This year is not going well for me Ironman-wise. My goal is to survive at least one set this year, and if possible to beat Anima and Eris in the standings, although judging so far that ain't gonna happen. :D

warlh_ironman_naza.zip

Category 1 run; had issues throughout (do you even ammo, Khorus?!),  however, I'm pleasantly surprised I made it as far as I did.

The moment of my death:

1T2tk7G.png

icewarlh.zip

Alfonzo, my run was Category 1 and you've classified it as Category 2. (Also great obit there, that's pretty much what I was thinking at the moment of my death.)

Bam.

MOUSE IS FOR THE WEAK OF SPIRIT KEYBOARD ONLY TRUE CONTROLLER

Slowly but methodically, I have shot my way to victory. Then the sewer area happened. *smallest violin plays*

Let's see... 519/777 kills... prboom shows 748 monsters... 777-748=29, 519-29=490, 490/748=0.65508, giving me 65.51% kills, if I'm not mistaken.

Also while I'm here, this is obviously not applicable for the current run, but for the future, do the ironman runs have to be strictly single sitting? I remember posts about multiple-take videos allowed as long as you show the save-file being made/loaded, but the post also has a line about "single-take videos are the only accepted proof", so I'm a little bit confused right now.

EDIT: cat 1, blind run

Category 1

Spoiler

had no ammo, had to rely on infighting at one point :\ then died to a crusher trying to figure out how to get the plasma gun, I'm terrible at finding secrets (assuming it was a secret)

413/748 monsters

dubzIMwl.zip

Edited by Bdubzzz

Just now, Memfis said:

Lol, seeing all these 1s is a bit sad. Nobody noticed this map before?

Yup, Khorus is one of the more obscure moty in my opinion :P 

But the ones i have played are good :)