Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Warlock's Hearth

Died with 517/800 Killed (so 465/748)

Noob mistake with the rocket launcher.

Edit: I forgot to say it's a category 1 run.

Edited by SSGmaster

Failed attempt - Category 1

warlh_IM_DA.zip

I really liked this map. Nice design but its very confusing!

I got killed by a hell knight :(

Edited by DanielAlexander

Here are the All-Time Standings, yes they're back! What's new:

- December 2017 rankings

- January (had to really dig deep for that, idk is it correct at all) and February (used @RjY's table so thanks!) 2018

- all-time standings. duh

- a comparison to the year before below each month (more/less participants)

Also, for January, I didn't count Big Ol' Billy's run, as he started from MAP01 each time. I'm awaiting on Alfonzo's sentence for that - in the meantime, the cell's blank.

After a few disappointing performances made by Demon of the Well, WH-Wilou84 retook 1st place in the All-Time Standings, with Bloodite Krypto getting closer and closer to the pair. Will he finally clinch the All-Time 1st Place this year? Veinen, who was on route to trace the trio, did not participate in 2018 yet. Alfonzo seemed to have missed out on February (or forgot to upload?), so that allowed Anima Zero to slide past him. Suitepee entered the 1,000,000 club, and his gap to Roofi widened as Roofi missed out on January and didn't quite make up time in February. Both were overtaken by Beginner, who is on fire right now as he's less than 500 points behind DotW in the 2018 standings and only those points bar him the Top 5. Dime is also yet to participate in 2018, which opened the path for an_mutt and Ancalagon to get past him, with RjY being a big threat as well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MD_xVaxvvARtENsjya30g-rnJDqiLL2ZpQc6YlKQV9g/edit#gid=165613475

FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Boom crashed on me, for the first time ever, after 562 kills. I actually got a touch further than the demo shows, through that teleporter after the red doors, so i got a couple more than 562 in reality, not that it matters. I don't have the heart to retry that, and i don't even know if such a thing is allowed anyway. Category 1 demo.

Absolutely gutted. Gotta say i like these giant single maps for ironman runs though, i find them to be an immersive experience - more please!

@NaZa I've fallen out of love with the idea of standings and points as per last year's setup. It's not so difficult to maintain but it does feel to me a little bloated and superfluous; not quite reflective of the interest I think most probably have in Ironman. That said, you're welcome to continue to maintain the boards and I'll happily paste them in the OP! Thanks for the continued support.

I may focus on maintaining some kind of lite table that's easier to update and is useful "at a glance." Best performance, worst performance, best death as voted by peers... that sort of thing. A fluff article that works in tandem with the existing one.

Now, then, onto the serious business. Um...

warlh_ironman_alfnz.zip

Spoiler

Dead w/ 277 kills (37%). Cat 2.

What a shitshow. Completely bottled it in the BK fight. A fucking measly performance. It only compounds the awfulness of 2018 so far (the Coffee Break run is still not uploaded as of this typing).

Not picking up the supercharge before flipping the switch to start the encounter may have been the first mistake, but seeing the arch-vile spawn in I'd have probably moved into position on the ledge to try and roast it anyway. Okay — no problem. Hell knights port in from behind and start playing Jenga with my spine. That 100% extra health dropped away in an instant. Then, instead of trying to find sensible cover like a brained individual, I saw a neat TOOTHPICK of a WOOD12 column and decided that I was good enough to avoid the follow-up arch-vile attack from behind this thing while I disposed of the immediate goat men. WOOD12, as you know, is a brown texture. The floor here is also brown. I lost sight of the pillar when the flames went up, froze in my tracks... and there ends the verse. Yuck++

I've been using the tables as a sort of informal, personal scorekeeping.  I was measuring myself against Max Points each season to see if I could break 50%.  I appreciate any work NaZa is putting into maintaining it.  Though, I only care about survival at this point, and if I started surviving consistently and found myself competing for time instead, then I'd probably not care as much for the metric.  But for now I kinda like it.

Drunk too much from toxic pool (maybe it was an absinthe?) at 00:52:48 with 489 buddies taken away of 748 (65% I suppose).

Cat one, I'm as green at this map as the beautiful liquid in which I've found my peace.

Here's Johnny demo lump, 4K@60 vid will be as soon as I'll render it.

dwiwarlh.zip

UPD:

Edited by Vince Vega

bob_warlock.zip (category 1)

496/748, very similar story to VV above

This was great, sorta felt like a gentler and less puzzle-y Rebel Sky. The transition to techbase, which I just barely got to see, was stunning. Gonna go back and give this one a proper full playthrough.

Edited by Big Ol Billy

[Category 1]

Took a crack at this late last night. Was a very leisurely and safe run but hey, good fun!

Should've read the rules before hand but was asked to do it mid stream and kinda just went with it on the fly. Fairly sure I didn't break any.

Demo file: guineu_warlh.lmp.zip (Cat.1)

And youtube video. As usual at my own pace, took me longer to reach halfway the map than some survivors to complete the whole thing.

In the end died to a lone Revenant rocket. What can I say, I think he was using an aimbot. Damn hackers.

Ugh, i suck too much at this map, multiple attempts just dying at the beginning at the map :(

No demo soz, its too embarrassing tbh.

3 hours ago, Catpho said:

Ugh, i suck too much at this map, multiple attempts just dying at the beginning at the map :(

No demo soz, its too embarrassing tbh.

Aw man, but do know Ironman is about fun, not all about points! :) 

I forgot to post this despite being reminded to several times by @HexaDoken. I ran this really early in the month.

So uh, I died, embarrassingly - Try as I might to beat the Cyberdemon, my stupidity got the best of me. Not once, but twice in a row.

I'll exercise more caution vs. Cyber's next time >_>

Tried to push too much cause I thought the time to beat was low 30 mins. Apparently I wasn't very far from the end. Blind, probably would have died trying to run past the cybs anyway.

warliron-anc.z

Category 2, played carefully as usual, and survived.
The most dangerous element in this map might be... the custom music, IMHO it's too distracting and can cover enemy sounds.

Aside from that, it's a nice adventure with a plethora of different themes and distinct areas.

WarlH-Ironman-1h06-wh.zip

Survived in 1:14:16 (prepared)

755/748 0 137/137 10/10 1:14:16+31

After the usual route-learning and practice runs, a slow and cautious yet highly enjoyable recording. 100% completion was not necessary, but rank-by-kills encourages living slowly over dying with a low body count.

It is possible to skip the blue key with a couple of archvile jumps over the barriers, but not, I felt, worth the risk. It is also possible to enter one of the kilns in the room with the sky door, which will leave you stuck.

YungQuo.png

Edited by RjY

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243998138 = Survived in 1:28:00. (category 1, went into this completely blind)

Well this was pleasantly fun (for the most part). Up there with Osiris and Vae Victus 2 for causing me the least amount of grief to survive the thing, although I struggled a bit with the slime area for a time. Nevertheless, the first time I've survived back-to-back Ironman wads (the 5th Ironman wad I've survived now in total...), and in terms of the 2018 Britbowl an_mutt will have to survive at a reasonable time to claim the point this month.

Warlock's Hearth seemed a nice level, with good detailing and enemy placement. I might seek out more stuff from Khorus in the future if his standard quality is like this.....

After much bullshit with my stream freezing due to high cpu, my run has been done!

Spoiler

Survived in 1:06:53 after a little bit of a fright at the end, where I nearly blew myself up on a nearby teleporting body. Otherwise, I'm pleased with how things turned out. Great map. Hopefully this kind of stuff will become more of a recurring thing for future Ironmans!

Edit: Forgot to include the important fact that I survived.

Felt like giving this a try since it's only one map. Category "I have no idea where I'm going".

PRBoom+, cl2 etc.

WarlH-S01-8239-NotMax.zip

I play Doom like a modern military cover shooter and Chaingun-tap everything. Enjoy!

Edited by Spectre01

13 hours ago, an_mutt said:

After much bullshit with my stream freezing due to high cpu, my run has been done!

Hide contents

Survived in 1:06:53 after a little bit of a fright at the end, where I nearly blew myself up on a nearby teleporting body. Otherwise, I'm pleased with how things turned out. Great map. Hopefully this kind of stuff will become more of a recurring thing for future Ironmans!

If only there were more teleporting bodies to block your path! Well done on your run though.

Guess I'll have to hope for my first Britbowl point in April......

Demo

Completely blind on this map. 119/748 kills, I knew that Soul Sphere was going to be the death of me as soon as I saw it.