Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

How did you react when you first gazed upon the SSG?

The first time I ever used it I think I saw it as "just a second shotgun". Then I started using it more and more as I used to use whatever I picked up recently the most before picking up another weapon, even if they were actually weaker than whatever I was currently using. 

I didn't realize its power at first since I ran into Zombie Men and Shotgun Guys who were very easily destroyed with the pump shotgun. But then I ran into Mancubi and accidentally discovered its real devastating potential. When I switched back to the pump shotgun I quickly realized what a difference it made, especially when I struggled to kill tougher enemies.

I don't remember, I was too little :c Sometimes I'd like to erase any and all memories I have of Doom, just to experience again what was it like to go through certain situations for the first time.

I was like 5, I didn't notice the difference lol until I pressed 2 mistakenly and the game switched to the normal shotgun

I first saw the super shotty when I played the PSX Doom version, map 57 The Marshes (secret map). When I picked up that weapon, I thought "hey....new weapon...cool!!!". I  remembered testing this weapon against some imps nearby, in that building where you change the brightness of the whole map. Pretty powerful weapon that decimated the groups of imps in seconds....loved it.

My first reaction was 'Wow, this gun takes a long time to reload, leaving me vulnerable. I don't like this gun." So I didn't use it much.

I kinda liked how it had more strength in each shot and I wanted to have some fun.

So, I started firing all the shells I had gathered, till I had no more (I must had spent like a minute or less). And I came to a realization:

"I can't use this on a lonely Imp or a Sergeant, because it burns ammo really fast and it isn't worth it in some cases." (compared to the single shotgun, which is always worth it when you shoot an enemy)

Seeing how the ammo I had gathered was no more there and how I always want to use each shot with the best result, I developed a small hate for the SSG.

That lasted for a while, until I learnt to use it properly. Then I started enjoying using it once again.

Killing a Pain Elemental in two shots is amazing and that's not all.

Provided you have enough ammo, you can kill most enemies in Doom with a couple of shots, which rocks!

Don't get me wrong. My favourite shotgun is the single, yet I too enjoy using the SSG. It is a great tool!

And let's not talk about its effectiveness in multiplayer (it's perfect there)...

Was blown away at how huge and loud it was compared to the regular shotgun, along with the massive spread and the fact it cut down most big monsters in 2-3 shots, even when using twice the ammo and the slow reload it proved its worth in one helluva big pinch against stronger foes when you didn't have the rockets or cells to spare for them. It's a high-tier weapon disguised as medium-tier, and few additions to an already established arsenal in an FPS have made me this excited since.

Its been so long, but I think I said something along the lines of "I don't like how it sounds."

So, upon seeing it, I was like "OOH! A new gun!"

5a9be04c0e4ba_operaRecording10(582x294).png.f3b91b8405443f38a8b20dee8a95def0.png

And then, after realizing how it killed anything short of a pinky demon with practically one shot:

5a9be0562dd1e_operaRecording11(631x402).png.0dc385226a0e59cfd9efd5b3df1b7d5f.png

So yeah. That's roughly how it went. Credit goes to Sr Pelo for the images.

On MAP02 you don't need it, I probably thought it was a waste of ammo. But when you meet the new monsters ... then you understand that you cannot live without it.

I think id blew their load too soon, the SSG should have been given to the player later, after they kill an SSG enemy for the first time. Yes, I think id should have created a Super Shotgunner.

5 hours ago, VGA said:

On MAP02 you don't need it, I probably thought it was a waste of ammo. But when you meet the new monsters ... then you understand that you cannot live without it.

I think id blew their load too soon, the SSG should have been given to the player later, after they kill an SSG enemy for the first time. Yes, I think id should have created a Super Shotgunner.

I wonder how would've that turned out considering how devastating the SSG is. Why do I have the feeling those guys could've been even more dangerous than Chaingunners if their placement was good.

Probably no reaction because I played Doom 2 first, but I had a reaction of Ultimate Doom being boring because there's no Super Shotgun.

8 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I wonder how would've that turned out considering how devastating the SSG is. Why do I have the feeling those guys could've been even more dangerous than Chaingunners if their placement was good.

I've played a couple map packs that include a SSG zombie variant, and they're unbalanced as all hell. The chaingunners are dangerous, yes, but the damage isn't dealt all at once, so they're not nearly as bad.

No joke I switched back to the regular shotgun. I didn't think it was a shotgun at the time.... even WITH the text in the top-right corner!

Probably explains why I kept dying so easily when I first touched DooM 2 .-.

To be honest: my first thought was 'meh... reload takes too long'. And then I switched back to the normal shotgun. Worked out fine for me. Still prefer the standard shotgun twenty years later. But I have to admit, today I use the SSG more frequently. But it still isn't my standard weapon of choice.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:02 AM, VGA said:

Yes, I think id should have created a Super Shotgunner.

Even a regular shotgunner only fires 3 pellets, compared to your shotgun's seven. You want an enemy that fires 20? Get the hell out of my office.

When I first discovered and played around with Doom II, and saw the SSG, it seemed interesting.

It's like an better upgrade of the regular Shotgun, felt easier to clear out more enemies and fight out tougher ones a some situations. I think I remember hearing from my father that people were mostly using the Rocket Launchers in Deathmatches before Doom II came out, after that people switched to using Super Shotguns.