Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DiR

Doom Builder 2 Glitchy Level Panning

Sometimes, whenever I move around my map in Doom Builder 2 (holding down spacebar while moving mouse), the level suddenly "jumps" around to a random blank space within my level. The zoom level also changes too, and I've found this to make it almost impossible to create maps properly, because i have to zoom out all the way and relocate where my map went. Maybe it's an issue with my computer, I don't know.

I've already tried reinstalling doom builder, so it's something else causing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? And if so, could I receive any help in fixing it? (If you've fixed it yourself, that is)

I use DB2 but never use the space. Didn't even know it had a function. Looking in Preferences it says, Pan View.

If it's causing a hassle just reassign Pan View to something you're less likely to accidentally press.

Tools Menu, Preferences (or F5), Controls, Pan View (relatively near the top).

5 hours ago, Valgilton said:

Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

No, works fine for me.

Do you have this problem only with DB2?

As to having difficulty with finding the map:

Press 'HOME' (default) to center the map on the screen.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Never had that issue before but DB2 is old. I'd suggest either moving to GZDoom Builder-Bugfix or to DBX. :)

I've tried both. The problem persists. I'm not sure how to show the problem to you guys how I see it, I'm explaining it the best I can.

3 hours ago, Valgilton said:

I've tried both. The problem persists. I'm not sure how to show the problem to you guys how I see it, I'm explaining it the best I can.

Did you try the solution I posted? If the space key is not allocated to anything it can't respond to being pressed.

34 minutes ago, alowe said:

Did you try the solution I posted? If the space key is not allocated to anything it can't respond to being pressed.

But Valgilton wants to pan the view while pressing space, they are not doing it by accident. And why would anybody wants to use archaic means to pan the view like using the cursor keys when panning the view is so much more convenient by moving the mouse.

I don't really have a solution to the problem, the only thing I can thuink of is that maybe space is bound to some other action? You could check that in Tools -> Preferences -> Controls. Does it always jump to the same location?

Well, it always jumps to the general lower-right corner of the screen, but I'm not sure if it's the same distance every time. I've checked the settings, and the spacebar isn't bound to anything else other than pan view, which looks normal.

Until this problem is fixed, arrow keys it is.

My guess is that you use a laptop with a touchpad near the spacebar and you accidentally touch the touchpad by the hand that holds the spacebar.

On Scifista42's train of thought, perhaps your mouse is the cause? Do you ever accidentally move the mouse over the edge of the surface it's on (e.g. mousemat or table?) How old is the mouse? Does it ever do similar things in other applications?

I don't think the mouse itself is the cause personally but I wouldn't rule it out instantly either. :)

Have a really close look at the crevise under the mouse where the optical sensor is.

If you find even just one hair in there, it will throw off the cursor. Especially when

the mouse is a low DPI model.

4 hours ago, scifista42 said:

My guess is that you use a laptop with a touchpad near the spacebar and you accidentally touch the touchpad by the hand that holds the spacebar.

This makes sense of an original detail that this happens when "holding down spacebar while moving mouse".

My touchpad is also sensitive. It can move the mouse without direct contact. Just my hand hovering above it by about 0.5cm can sometimes do things like scrolling. Touchpads often have a scrolling functionality like this:

Touchpad.png

This functionality can be turned off in the mouse settings from the control panel. If you're using a mouse you can just turn the touchpad off entirely.

Additionally some mice have extra buttons and censors on the handgrip. For example, I had to download a 3rd party program to block the functionality of two side buttons on my mouse that can cause problems. The issue is not with DB2.

i would investigate all of these options. i had a tiny very hard to see cat hair lodged in the bottom of my mouse's sensor before that lead to similar behavior.

however, as the dev of dbx (one of the continuations of codeimp's good work on db2), i cannot rule out that DB is at fault. so if you eliminate all these options, can you please let us know if it's none of these? i had someone else say a similar thing with DBX and i haven't been able to definitively track it down

also does your mouse use any specialized software to do stuff like change sensitivity, etc? does the problem still occur without that software loaded (if it's possible for you to test). had weird behavior with an ancient razer mouse about 10 years ago when i had the razer system tray program open

@anotak It could possibly be my mouse. I'm using a Logitech G502, so maybe the Built-in DPI switching might mess with it. I'll check again with a normal mouse once I get the chance, as I'm away from my house right now.

@alowe I've tried turning off the touchpad, and it didn't change anything. I've yet to try turning off the extra buttons on my mouse.

Hopefully we can find the problem soon. I think we're getting close to figuring it out.