Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaleb.

[WIP] Park Place

Maps: Only 1 so far (going to be 4 (maybe more?))
Port: Boom compatible
IWAD: Doom 2

No jumping/crouching

Just a (soon-to-be) small series of maps using music from Westwood's 1995 Monopoly PC Game.

Decided to release one map at a time in order to get some criticism and "perfect" the map as much as I can before really starting another, in hopes to make me wanna map more.

So yeah, only one map so far, demos and criticism very much appreciated!

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5blnp19m38b5s3r/parkplace_a2.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20180303_102540.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180303_102606.png

Edited by kaleb.

FDA in 4:30. A pretty cool map overall, nice architecture and looks. My 2 main complaints were in difficulty and lack of depth in the ambushes. I guess these two go hand-in-hand, but I find this whole ambush thing to be pretty dang important. From what I saw, most of these traps in the map were all giving you opposition from one side- towards the player. Not a bad thing necessarily, but these encounters typically only had a few mid-tier monsters that could easily be dispatched with that being the only thing hunting you down.

Some ways to 'fix' this would be to mix it up a little - have monsters TP in behind the player in a position where they could easily run away to force them to run in, add an archvile back in the main courtyard as soon as the player gets the yellow skullkey to give them pressure to get back as they see the monstercount going up, etc...

And more monsters in general would be nice. I don't really think I struggled much in UV at all, even began using berzerk more than I'd like to admit. 

Anyway, a pretty odd inspiration to base your maps off of but this has *real* potential, the architecture's there, it looks great, the gameplay's the primary thing that slips me up. Thankfully, everything worked in boom however so this wasn't a case of "I made it in Boom format but I tested it in Zdoom" like you see a lot around here.

Cheers!

yeah actual difficulty and monster placement are my biggest downfalls i feel. which is the main reason i wanted to release one map at a time.

and yeah i dont use zdoom very often so i know that it works in boom compatible ports

ill definitely put your suggestions to use, thanks a lot dude :)

yeah in the text file i list that as one of the big inspirations.

and thanks for showing me this, ill patch that out rn

Wow, very nostalgic. Neat to see new maps in this style. I really appreciate the joyful mood. I think the gameplay should remain rather relaxed, being slaughtered here wouldn't feel right.

Possible improvements:

- make these stairs wider so that the demon can actually get down.

- add a secret or two? it would be nice to have some motivation to explore the map in detail. make me want to stay longer!

- change the yellow key fight somehow, circlestrafing around 2 hell knights is more tedious than fun.

I attached a short demo.

parkplace_a1_mem_FDA.zip

Can I be a guest mapper? I got inspired and started a map in this style. Here is a little preview. If you feel like I'm hijacking your project just say "no".

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

Can I be a guest mapper? I got inspired and started a map in this style. Here is a little preview. If you feel like I'm hijacking your project just say "no".

nah id love some guest maps! :)