Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eligos

New details on the Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build

Discord chat logs and leaked media:

J4fknpr.png

mwJJexa.jpg

KKxMuQC.pngRiy6HUj.png

The DSOG article has factual inaccuracies that they seem to have made assumptions on.

The Twitter exchange about licencing for Duke has absolutely nothing to do with Duke Nukem Forever. Before Rad Rodgers was released Slipgate Studios asked about potentially getting a licence to do a Duke Nukem platformer in the future, the game was received well so Randy offered them a licence but they couldn't get funding for the project.

Interesting stuff, hopefully we learn more...

Wouldn't it be great if someone left it lying around for someone else to find... hint hint

16 minutes ago, JackSpurtsOnSundays said:

The DSOG article has factual inaccuracies that they seem to have made assumptions on.

Sorry, I didn't know it had inaccurate information. I'll remove it from the Post.

16 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Wouldn't it be great if someone left it lying around for someone else to find...

It just seems like such a waste to leave that much work lying around, especially since so many people waited for that particular version of the game. I can't imagine it would cost that much just to get a couple of guys together to fix it up and release it. Even if it's bad it would still be cool to play and it's not like it's going to hurt Duke's reputation or anything.

Hope this build get's released one way or another, even if it's unfinished im sure it will be an interesting thing to see, i remember seeing the e3 trailer and thinking they were gonna rock the world with this game... if only we knew...

Randy did a video with a couple of guys from Duke4.net and Frederik Schreiber from 3D Realms. He talks about the situation with Duke forever and says it's up to 2K and not him. I don't know how true that is and this is Randy Pitchford were talking about so take this with a grain of salt.

Edit: They talk about the DNF 2001 build and it lasts for about 10 minutes.

Edited by Eligos

1 hour ago, Eligos said:

Sorry, I didn't know it had inaccurate information. I'll remove it from the Post.

It just seems like such a waste to leave that much work lying around, especially since so many people waited for that particular version of the game. I can't imagine it would cost that much just to get a couple of guys together to fix it up and release it. Even if it's bad it would still be cool to play and it's not like it's going to hurt Duke's reputation or anything.

But we all know that that is likely never going to happen, and why must everything be a paid for product? It doesn't hurt to have something free once in a while if it's previously rejected content.

I remember when a friend of mine preordered Duke Nukem Forever when it was originally announced back in the 90’s. I sure remember how excited he was about it. I wonder if he ever did get his copy after that delayed development time. I’ll have to ask him.

57 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

But we all know that that is likely never going to happen, and why must everything be a paid for product? It doesn't hurt to have something free once in a while if it's previously rejected content.

Trust me I would love it if it was released for free, even if it was released in a poor state. Especially if it's true that 3D Realms is willing to work on it for free. But unfortunately, we can't always get nice things for free. If there's an opportunity for money to be made they're going to take it. Even if it is an unfinished build of a game that was meant to be released in the early 2000s. It wouldn't be the first time that a video game company has reused old content to sell as either a new game entirely or an expansion. But you could be right maybe I am just hanging onto false hope.

Edited by Eligos

1 hour ago, Eligos said:

Randy did a video with a couple of guys from Duke4.net and Frederik Schreiber from 3D Realms. He talks about the situation with Duke forever and says it's up to 2K and not him. I don't know how true that is and this is Randy Pitchford were talking about so take this with a grain of salt.

Edit: The conversation does talk about the DNF 2001 build and it lasts for about 10 minutes.

My issue with that reasoning is that during the call he says they're nearing a deal and when Fred offers to also work on the mod tools for the final release of Duke Nukem Forever for free Randy starts claiming they'd have to pay certification costs...and then Randy is asked about the Duke Nukem 3D Prototypes that 3D Realms also has and would like to have released...and he claims they'd have to go through certification and quality assurance so it'd cost money even if the work was done for free.

He's pretty much completely full of shit. Croteam, id Software, Volition, 3D Realms, and others have released builds/prototypes of games to the public without any support in the past with absolutely no issue. No one fucking QAs prototypes for release. 

Hell 3D Realms released TEN prototype builds of Shadow Warrior for free a few months ago. This is exactly what they want to do with Duke Nukem 3D and Forever. The offer is there to do all the work for free but Randy isn't interested unless he can sell it in what he calls a definitive Duke Nukem collection. There's no hidden motive from 3D Realms or Frederik Schreiber to make a profit. They worked with Devolver Digital on the Shadow Warrior content and no one got paid. It was just something cool for the fans.

gYHgU7c.png

53 minutes ago, JackSpurtsOnSundays said:

My issue with that reasoning is that during the call he says they're nearing a deal and when Fred offers to also work on the mod tools for the final release of Duke Nukem Forever for free Randy starts claiming they'd have to pay certification costs...and then Randy is asked about the Duke Nukem 3D Prototypes that 3D Realms also has and would like to have released...and he claims they'd have to go through certification and quality assurance so it'd cost money even if the work was done for free.

He's pretty much completely full of shit. Croteam, id Software, Volition, 3D Realms, and others have released builds/prototypes of games to the public without any support in the past with absolutely no issue. No one fucking QAs prototypes for release. 

Hell 3D Realms released TEN prototype builds of Shadow Warrior for free a few months ago. This is exactly what they want to do with Duke Nukem 3D and Forever. The offer is there to do all the work for free but Randy isn't interested unless he can sell it in what he calls a definitive Duke Nukem collection. There's no hidden motive from 3D Realms or Frederik Schreiber to make a profit. They worked with Devolver Digital on the Shadow Warrior content and no one got paid. It was just something cool for the fans.

gYHgU7c.png

Here's the part that doesn't make any sense to me, why is Randy pretending that Duke is some sort of Golden Goose that he can milk to get money? As I alluded to in a previous post, Duke Nukem is not a Powerhouse IP anymore and if Randy believes Duke can somehow become a household name again he's living in a fantasy land. Especially since a lot of people have written off Duke at this point, releasing DNF 2001 for free could help them bring back interest in the brand.

That 90% complete build needs to get released. I don't care what it takes. We need, hell we DESERVE to play DNF the way it was meant to be played.

33 minutes ago, Nevander said:

That 90% complete build needs to get released. I don't care what it takes. We need, hell we DESERVE to play DNF the way it was meant to be played.

p. sure the one we got is as close as "the way DNF was meant to be played" as we'll get, unless you consider that the way we play doom isn't "the way it was meant to be played" because it doesn't involve the unmaker or flat, more realistic levels

2 hours ago, JackSpurtsOnSundays said:

No one fucking QAs prototypes for release.

Unless your name is Runny Shitfart.

1 hour ago, Eligos said:

Especially since a lot of people have written off Duke at this point, releasing DNF 2001 for free could help them bring back interest in the brand.

This is exactly what I thought recently also, it could help reignite interest in Duke again for future games, but Bitchford is a businessman first and foremost, thinking you can keep a gaming icon relevant by putting them into games they don't belong in (Bulletstorm, Wild Buster).

2 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

p. sure the one we got is as close as "the way DNF was meant to be played" as we'll get

Pretty sure whatever we got after they broke the 90% complete game due to introducing Doom 3 style lighting and thus scrapping most of the previous work was not the intended final product. The final game is a mishmash of builds, mostly more recent ones like 2008, with ideas that go back to 2001, on top of a 2011 game, which explains the inconsistent art assets and the 'new and improved' modern FPS gameplay that killed whatever made Duke fun was left.

The difference between the two is the Doom bible content you mentioned was cut even before development on the game happened, unlike with this version of DNF where content was cut during development.

1 minute ago, cyan0s1s said:

Pretty sure whatever we got after they broke the 90% complete game due to introducing Doom 3 style lighting and thus scrapping most of the previous work was not the intended final product. The final game is a mishmash of builds, mostly more recent ones like 2008, with ideas that go back to 2001, on top of a 2011 game, which explains the inconsistent art assets and the 'new and improved' modern FPS gameplay that killed whatever made Duke fun was left.

again, unless you consider that the way we play doom isn't "the way it was meant to be played" because it doesn't involve the unmaker or flat, more realistic levels

1 minute ago, Avoozl said:

The difference between the two is the Doom bible content you mentioned was cut even before development on the game happened, unlike this version of DNF where content was cut during development.

Well, sure, but that still points to the same end result due to stuff like Refueling Base not making it into Doom 1 and Lost Souls becoming an entirely different enemy with some pretty big aesthetic design changes. Visions change and mutate, and ideas fail and get tweaked; even if the final result isn't stellar, it's pretty asinine to declare it "not the way it's meant to be played" just because it's not identical to the original draft or an earlier build.

I mean granted, "not the way it's meant to be played" is a pretty asinine phrase to begin with, but stuff like this just makes it moreso.

90% complete could be still unplayable for one reason or another. Someone else could fix it up. I have this weird feeling that GearBox would be on anyone for doing such a thing.

Perhaps a decade or two from now someone's Youtube channel will buy an old hard drive at a flea market to discover the original source code or texture art.

47 minutes ago, geo said:

90% complete could be still unplayable for one reason or another. Someone else could fix it up. I have this weird feeling that GearBox would be on anyone for doing such a thing.

Given that GB went after a fan recreation of DN3D around the time of DNF... yeah, no doubt they'd do the same to whoever does this as well...

13 hours ago, Arctangent said:

again, unless you consider that the way we play doom isn't "the way it was meant to be played" because it doesn't involve the unmaker or flat, more realistic levels

Well, sure, but that still points to the same end result due to stuff like Refueling Base not making it into Doom 1 and Lost Souls becoming an entirely different enemy with some pretty big aesthetic design changes. Visions change and mutate, and ideas fail and get tweaked; even if the final result isn't stellar, it's pretty asinine to declare it "not the way it's meant to be played" just because it's not identical to the original draft or an earlier build.

I mean granted, "not the way it's meant to be played" is a pretty asinine phrase to begin with, but stuff like this just makes it moreso.

Or you could forego the mental gymnastics and leave it at the fact that the 2001 builds were when the game was better off.

Yeah, seeing as it was the build that got us the most excited in the first place. Everything after that was just like 'okay, so what?', and then we know how the end result turned out...

1 hour ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Or you could forego the mental gymnastics and leave it at the fact that the 2001 builds were when the game was better off.

y'might want to reread my posts because it's pretty clear that this is a response to some pixie that's your imaginary nemesis, not me

Stuff like this makes me wonder how many completely done, ready-to-play games will never see the light of day due to being shelved for one reason or another.

Why not just let an accomplished team of modders finish up that 10% and put it on Steam/ModDB?

On 3/5/2018 at 5:10 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

1520109579944.png?width=1202&height=677

looks like bombshell had a sixpack

Where did this come from?

On 3/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, Marnetstapler said:

Stuff like this makes me wonder how many completely done, ready-to-play games will never see the light of day due to being shelved for one reason or another.

There's a lot of games that have been canceled or shelved for one reason or another. It could be because the rights have changed hands or in this situation development problems. The obvious examples are LucasArts with Star Wars 1313 and the somewhat recent closing of Visceral and their Star Wars game. That's not to say it's impossible for games that were once in development to be released, Star Fox 2 is an example of that. It's rare but it can happen.

Edited by Eligos

12 minutes ago, Marnetstapler said:

Probably only slightly less than the movies that share the same fate.

Granted, a lot of these cases are mostly just novelties moreso than any real loss, as while sometimes worthwhile movies and games fall through the cracks ... I mean, you only need to look at the amount of stuff you can find in a bargain bin to really get a grasp on what it takes to be considered not worthwhile to sell.

31 minutes ago, Eligos said:

Where did this come from?

i found it on the discord

some other images were there too

they said it was leaked from 4chan