Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eligos

New details on the Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build

3 hours ago, Ajora said:

According to the Steam's update page, the game hasn't received any patches. 

I knew for sure it has received updates since Randy and the other guys from that Duke stream mentioned this, but someone probably thought it's not worth posting the notes on Steam:

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216438263-PC-Duke-Nukem-3D-20th-Anniversary-World-Tour-Update-Notes?mobile_site=true

But I'm not able to find more. Seriously, this is all they did with the game until now?

I'm keeping the DUKE3D.GRP file that came from my copy of 20th Anniversary World Tour even if I am not going to play the 20th Anniversary World Tour anymore because I can play the GRP file with eDuke32, it seems to scan my computer for the file.

That doesn't seem to explain why it doesn't detect "Blood: One Unit Whole Blood" because I own that game on Steam and it was made with the Build engine.

7 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

That doesn't seem to explain why it doesn't detect "Blood: One Unit Whole Blood" because I own that game on Steam and it was made with the Build engine.

That's because eDuke32 does not support Blood. The source code for Blood was never released, which rendered the creation of source ports basically impossible.

Although due to the leak of the beta source code of Blood, or whatever it was, a reverse engineered port for Blood could eventually be made, some 20yrs+ later. It's called BloodGDX, but I personally wouldn't recommend using it on your everyday machine or something because it runs on Java and we all know that thing is notoriously insecure. So, unless you don't mind this, DosBox is probably the "best" (not really. Could be worse but isn't great anyway) way to play Blood.

Just now, Agent6 said:

That's because eDuke32 does not support Blood. The source code for Blood was never released, which made the creation of source ports basically impossible.

Although due to the leak of the beta source code of Blood, or whatever it was, a reverse engineered port for Blood could eventually be made, some 20yrs+ later. It's called BloodGDX, but I personally wouldn't recommend using it on your everyday machine or something because it runs on Java and we all know that thing is notoriously insecure. So, unless you don't mind this, DosBox is probably the "best" (not really. Could be worse but isn't great anyway) way to play Blood.

Oh... :(

15 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

There seems to be a misconception that same engine = same code, which isn't true at all.

Two cars can have the same engine but differ on their internal components, and the same could be said for games. The engine is just the base code, handling things like how everything is rendered, maybe basic movement, etc.

Just now, KVELLER said:

There seems to be a misconception that same engine = same code, which isn't true at all.

Two cars can have the same engine but differ on their internal components, and the same could be said for games. The engine is just the base code, handling things like how everything is rendered, maybe basic movement, etc.

🤔

On 8/30/2018 at 8:12 PM, Agent6 said:

Duke Nukem will eventually turn into the next Blood, and I'm sure you know what I mean by that.

Be great for a while, then have a shitty game and disappear...

4 hours ago, elarmadillo3 said:

Be great for a while, then have a shitty game and disappear...

Or vanish because the new owners of the IP are either afraid of trying something or have long run out of steam, and would refuse to sell it as well.

I think he just confused with the screencap of the email but his point still stands. "Where we disagree is the premise of most content existing "for specific shots". That Severely limits what I think they've seen." So Randy probably hasn't even looked it himself.

Thread is here: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9930-dnf-2001-build-was-apparently-almost-complete/page__st__510

On 8/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

The thing is that I don't want to hate on Randy, I like a lot of things him and Gearbox have done (loved the Half-Life expansions, liked Bulletstorm and really adore Borderlands for example) it is just that they've recently been doing some really shitty things with one of my favourite licences (Duke, obviously) that offer me no choice but to hate on them and his attitude doesn't help the matter.

I bought Duke 20th because I love Duke and want to support the franchise, I bought Duke Nukem Forever and tried so hard to like it (I'll go ahead and say that it has charm, definitely, I'll also say that the multiplayer was stupid fun when you did dumb shit like fists only drunk KoTH or jetpack pipebomb fights), I am planning to get the Duke expansion for Bulletstorm eventually and (regardless of how garbage it may be) I'll be first to see the possible upcoming Duke film.

I'm just real mad that they are shafting Duke fans like me right now, please prove you give a shit about us diehard fans by not only releasing these builds but by bringing back the expansions (that you took down) on to modern systems (that idiots like me will gladly pay for), putting back up the side scrollers onto modern systems (which again, idiots like me will pay for) and by releasing these builds.

That'd be great Gearbox and you would look great, think about it.

Reveal hidden contents

Jokes on me though, we all know they don't read this shit.

I feel like with the current political atmosphere they could really bring Duke back, and cash in on the controversy to boot.  But the game itself has to be good, and a game .... not some dumbed-down console shooter that appeals to the lowest denominator or anything of the like.  There's so many things these days to poke fun at intelligently, and that's how Duke3d did it back in the day ... he wasn't a 'pig' (he's saving chicks from assholes for the betterment of mankind) and had funny lines about pop culture of the time.  And it would have to be a good game to withstand the controversy otherwise Duke is finished.  Randy certainly has the ego to pull it off if he doesn't go full crazy and sticks to his guns.

Edited by Flesh420

The thing is, Flesh420, i think that me and people (or most or some people) always saw Duke has a parody, a satire of those kind of "though guy" games and movies which made fun of all those tropes, but the thing is, i just dont see it, is like there i an attempt to do that, but it does not really go nowhere, but to be fair i never payed much attention to the franchise and even less in those terms.
So i think that a modern game in modern times where there is this culture of getting offended for any random stuff, which was really provocative and offensive with totally ridiculous over the top violence, sexual content and storyline but an actual point to all of that would be a great addition to our current culture, but i just dont think they are gonna made it.

50 minutes ago, D88M said:

The thing is, Flesh420, i think that me and people (or most or some people) always saw Duke has a parody, a satire of those kind of "though guy" games and movies which made fun of all those tropes, but the thing is, i just dont see it, is like there i an attempt to do that, but it does not really go nowhere, but to be fair i never payed much attention to the franchise and even less in those terms.
So i think that a modern game in modern times where there is this culture of getting offended for any random stuff, which was really provocative and offensive with totally ridiculous over the top violence, sexual content and storyline but an actual point to all of that would be a great addition to our current culture, but i just dont think they are gonna made it.

Your English fucking blows, but I totally agree with you. 

A parody of our times packing a shotgun and a couple pipe bombs is always needed.

Edited by Flesh420

Yeah, my english is awful, sorry about that, but at least i can get my point across with it, sadly there are no spanish forums of the topics that i like.

28 minutes ago, One Doomed Bunny said:

Any new updates? Or did they pull the plug?

Since Randy just got himself into some more trouble recently, I doubt we're going to hear anything for a while.

With the stuff coming out, I think the only way out for Gearbox is to #1 dump Pitchford and then #2 try to repair damage by doing things that don't cost them much but will have great PR potential, like releasing the DN4E betas, bringing back the old extensions to World Tour, etc.

12 minutes ago, Gez said:

With the stuff coming out, I think the only way out for Gearbox is to #1 dump Pitchford and then #2 try to repair damage by doing things that don't cost them much but will have great PR potential, like releasing the DN4E betas, bringing back the old extensions to World Tour, etc.

Also patch the damn disgrace. Seriously, I see WT got a single update but it never arrived on consoles, and some levels are a buggy mess.

Make Gearbox great again.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, One Doomed Bunny said:

Any new updates? Or did they pull the plug?

I've tried to keep my ear close to the ground regarding new information about these builds and unfortunately, there haven't been any more details or leaks related to the 2001 builds. And the only new information regarding that Duke Nukem compilation is just some tweets from Randy saying "it's coming, but I don't know when." 

fuckrandy.PNG.e482445c2d3dd61434535ab9ee054d03.PNG

And as previous users have mentioned, Randy has gotten himself into another legal kerfuffle, so any recent news regarding gearbox will be exclusively about Randy's legal case. If you want to know more about that here's the story https://kotaku.com/former-gearbox-lawyer-accuses-ceo-randy-pitchford-of-ta-183167953

Edited by Eligos

2 hours ago, Eligos said:

I've tried to keep my ear close to the ground regarding new information about these builds and unfortunately, there haven't been any more details are leaks related to the 2001 builds. And the only new information regarding that Duke Nukem compilation is just some tweets from Randy saying "it's coming, but I don't know when." 

And as previous users have mentioned, Randy has gotten himself into another legal kerfuffle, so any recent news regarding gearbox will be exclusively about Randy's legal case. If you want to know more about that here's the story https://kotaku.com/former-gearbox-lawyer-accuses-ceo-randy-pitchford-of-ta-183167953

I see. Thanks for the info, I appreciate that.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

The reason I am angry is because the older port had some expansion packs that looked fun to me and... right now I cannot get said expansion packs legally.

Uhhh, if you mean Duke It Out In DC, Nuclear Winter and Life's A Beach they came on CDs you know.  You could look for those.

4 hours ago, Eligos said:

Ha, this is hilarious. We can't know for sure who's saying the truth, but as someone in the comments over there said, "In either scenario someone here is a vile piece of shit who deserves what’s coming."

3 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

This thread got bumped, and at the right time considering that it has been revealed that Randy Pitchford just became the new Jared Fogle!

Jared Fogle was caught red handed and plead guilty

Pitchford is denying the allegations and they are just that, allegations. It was worded in a specific way that even if Randy turns out innocent (which I hope is the case) there will still be the stigma about him now. It's not comparable.

2 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Pitchford is denying the allegations and they are just that, allegations. It was worded in a specific way that even if Randy turns out innocent (which I hope is the case) there will still be the stigma about him now. It's not comparable.

So you're saying that we won't be able to get the 2001 build of DNF, DN1+2, and a new port of DN3D with all the expansion packs because Randy Prickford is going to be innocent?

11 hours ago, Eligos said:

So... do they like pump out a new Duke 3D game / compilation every 5 years or so?