Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eligos

New details on the Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build

10 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Eh. I gave up hope a long time ago. I mean, 3DR are the ones who initially fucked up anyways. They couldn't even make a competent sequel to Duke 3D. They had to keep changing the gameplay/engine to "keep up with the times". So i blame them, mainly George Broussard. The 2001 version should of been the game that was released but since it wasn't it is what it is i guess.

DNF2011 is a fine example of what's called in game development as "feature creep".

3DR could've made a good sequel with no doubts, but Broussard got stuck in chasing the new tech, and never had a solid vision for how the final game was meant to look and play like. If you lack vision, nothing good can come out of your work.

You can't, by definition, license your engine and get a technological edge over your competitors. The ones who have a technological edge are the ones who sell licenses to their own engines. DN4E was therefore doomed from the start, because it couldn't possibly do what Broussard wanted it to do.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

You can't, by definition, license your engine and get a technological edge over your competitors. The ones who have a technological edge are the ones who sell licenses to their own engines. DN4E was therefore doomed from the start, because it couldn't possibly do what Broussard wanted it to do.

Assuming he even knew what he wanted to do...

The info I've managed to find on this topic tells me that even by mid-2000s he still didn't know too well how the final product was supposed to look and play like... what a profound lack of vision and way to mismanage a project...

1 minute ago, seed said:

Assuming he even knew what he wanted to do...

He wanted to do a tech demo.

He didn't have any vision about gameplay, story, theme(s), atmosphere, etc. He just didn't want any other game to have features that DN4E didn't have.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

He wanted to do a tech demo.

He didn't have any vision about gameplay, story, theme(s), atmosphere, etc. He just didn't want any other game to have features that DN4E didn't have.