Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brainhammer

Nightmare!

G'day everyone.

I first started my Doom obsession in 1996 on Super Nintendo.. 

I just completed Doom on Nightmare for the first time and feeling ultra stoked!! 

Cheers. 

Good on you for completing the game on Nightmare!

For my part, I am too chicken to try it on that skill level.

Out of curiosity, did you use save-games? Did you use pistol starts on each map?

2 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Nightmare! is so fucking tedious. I applaud anyone who can beat it.

Well, at least those of us that have beaten Doom in UV can relish the fact that it was the highest difficulty of 93.

My only real beef w/ Nightmare! is the respawning monsters. Other than that, the quicker monsters and faster monster projectiles don't really phase me that much. But those attributes in combination with the respawn parameter and it's too much for me. That's why I think, imho, that Zero Master's Nightmare! run on Doom 2 is one of the most impressive video game-related videos I have ever witnessed. But that's just me, YMMV. 

I always considered nightmare to be some kind of a joke difficulty, and i avoid playing it. Not my cup of tea, but it does take a lot skill to beat the game on nightmare

3 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

Not my cup of tea, but it does take a lot skill to beat the game on nightmare

I can beat certain levels on Nightmare!, but not whole episodes....does that count?  lol  jk

I've never actually played Doom on Nightmare, believe it or not.  I always felt like UV was the top difficulty and Nightmare was just like a bonus game mode.  The respawning enemies always turned me off of it, I like to be able to actually clear the maps when I can.

I've never played on nightmare.  I probably should though.  Congrats on your accomplishment!

I'll be honest here, everybody.. It is a long hard and tedious slog.. I obviously save as I go, avoid wasting ammo where possible and have run mode on for most of the part. Once you clear a room of demons - get the fuck out.. I've completed Doom and Doom 2 on ultra violence on numerous occassions. I know the maps pretty well.. It's taken 20 years to finally finish Doom on Nightmare.. I play it on Xbox 360 btw.  I haven't finished Doom 2 on nightmare, yet... I'm sure it'll be more difficult with the additional monsters, but the super shotgun,if used right, can be a real life saver..

I never knew Archviles and Cyberdemons could respawn on Nightmare. I though it only worked on enemies with Raise states.

Yeah.. The Archviles are my least favourite Demon - incredibly frustrating, and the 4th toughest to Kill -  they can deliver up to 90 pts of damage, not to mention they revive the dead. 

No problem jointritual!! Doom is a very personal game for me. It reminds me of being 7 years old again, first being exposed to Heavy Metal, Guns and Satan.. Back when I played on Snes, saving wasn't even available and I could only play it on Hey not too rough. While it might not be an achievement to you, it certainly is for me, after all these years. 

Hails. 

Unfortunately on the Xbox 360 port it gets to the point where playing on Nightmare! is the only way to really progress in the world leaderboards so if you want to get higher you need to brave it.

Congrats on completing Doom on Nightmare!, what leaderboard score you end up with?

Thanks mrthejoshmon!

I'm definitely not good enough to match the elite gamers that are out there I should think, but please enlighten me on what I need to do buy to compete with you guys, as I am a layman. For some reason I only really play old school games through old school technology.. I only bought an Xbox 360 when Doom 3 came out, so I could get the bonus Doom and Doom 2 downloads - until then it was all Snes and playstation 1. 

Hmm, don't know if I should congratulate you or pity you for putting yourself through that tedious slog. Depends on what you prefer I guess. Take your pick.

Nightmare was always a joke and was there only for speedrunning purposes or to savescum through.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, jointritual said:

Not really an achievement using saves to be honest.

Are you fucking kidding? It's still a very goddamn difficult difficulty setting even if you use saves or "save scumming" or whatever the hell you want to call it. But hey, if you want to be a passive aggressive douche canoe, you go right ahead. 

Edited by Chewyninja69 : Grammar

21 hours ago, Brainhammer said:

No problem jointritual!! Doom is a very personal game for me. It reminds me of being 7 years old again, first being exposed to Heavy Metal, Guns and Satan.. Back when I played on Snes, saving wasn't even available and I could only play it on Hey not too rough. While it might not be an achievement to you, it certainly is for me, after all these years. 

Hails. 

Don't listen to this guy; you're a beast for finishing it on Nightmare!. I applaud the shit out of you. Sorry we all can't be Doom wizards like Zero Master, jointritual....

Congratulations! I for one have never tried to do Doom2 on Nightmare!

However, speedrunning on Nightmare is a good way to get the heart-rate up.

Final doom on Nightmare is where the joke falls off, especially Map08 of TNT. That took years for anyone to complete a run on Nightmare!

I love Nightmare so much. It's an absolute rush, and it's probably the closest thing to experiencing an actual Hell invasion in Doom I can think of (for the base games at the very least). It's too bad it's absolutely broken in vanilla Doom. If you save and reload, the fast monsters turn off, and enemies forget where you are. I know that's not a problem on SNES Doom, but the SNES port also lacks the respawning monsters due to hardware limitations, so it's a bit easier still. In any case, going a step above UV and beating the game is an accomplishment on any version of Doom. Congrats!

12 hours ago, Pegg said:

Nightmare without respawning monsters? Isn't that easier than UV-Fast cuz of the double ammo?

It would seem that way, however, I've only completed classic Doom Nightmare!, on Xbox 360, and that is it..