Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

Keyed exit switch

Without having to resort to writing new code, is there a way to effectively require a key to activate an exit switch?

I'm creating a map in Boom and I would like to do something like this. I could always put the exit switch behind bars that are locked or behind a door that's activated by a locked switch, but is there a way other than either of those methods?

Thanks.

That would be easy to do in UDMF. I am not sure if it can be done in Doom-in-Hexen, but I am sure it can't be done in Boom.

You can key remote doors, so you can use a voodoo doll script to do it. Place a door on a conveyor belt with a voodoo doll, use a generic door action to create a remote keyed door action on the "exit switch", and behind the door have a walkover exit special.

edit: sample map. One minor problem I'm noticing: For some reason despite using the switch type I'm getting the "open this door" message rather than "activate this object", but its a minor detail.

Edited by InsanityBringer

The activate this object message comes from the vanilla fast door linedef specials I think.

heh, right. I was overthinking things with generalized specials (why do I keep on doing this?), but the idea is still sound, at least.

20 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

You can key remote doors, so you can use a voodoo doll script to do it. Place a door on a conveyor belt with a voodoo doll, use a generic door action to create a remote keyed door action on the "exit switch", and behind the door have a walkover exit special.

That is just what I was looking for! Thank you!