Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isolation

PSX DOOM: Fall Of Triton (OUT NOW)

I took the liberty of creating a cleaned-up version of the whole addon. All duplicate sounds, music, scripts etc. should be removed. I also included the script fixes I had posted earlier (for decorate and mapinfo), plus a small fix for gameinfo which had a weapon slot definition which definitely did not belong there. Titlemap.wad has been extracted and is now loaded separately, making the intro animation finally functional.

Download optimized release (PK3, 145 MB)

Maybe I didn't catch 100% of everything, but I doubt that removing even more would make any significant difference. More than 110 MB have been cut. Loading times should also be a lot faster than this due to the massively reduced amount of files which are parsed during startup. Enjoy!

*EDIT*

Updated download with additional script optimization (only PSXHUD is used and loaded now, the rest of the scripts was non-functional)

Edited by NightFright

Nice work. But if you open your fixed triton.wad, you'll see there are still three copies of the compiled FDHUDCHK ACS. Two are 216 bytes, one is 244 bytes. There are also three copies of PSXHUD ACS. Two are 5.51Kb, one is 5.29Kb. That was one of my concerns with the original release. I don't know which ones are correct. Which are supposed to load and how do ports handle multiple ACS with the same name? These are just HUD scripts, so it won't crash the game. But I'd still like to know the answers.

After analyzing the scripts that are loaded in the original version of the addon, only PSXHUD is actually used - all the others from LOADACS (FDHUDCHK, LIGHTING, PSTATION, PSXLOST, REVERB, WILLIAMS) either don't exist or cause console warnings during loading of each map, meaning they don't work for whatever reason. Since everything looks fine without these scripts properly loading, I assume it's save to prevent them from being loaded in the first place.

Therefore, I have again reviewed the wad and updated the link above. Now all redundant instances should be gone. It still works and looks as before, as far as I can tell.

Edited by NightFright

On 3/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, RockHardGamer 45 said:

Thanks for the help everyone (:

Sorry I had to make you do that but a huge thanks for everyone who has helped me with the wad. I won' let the wad get so messy next time (;

Just finished this wad, played maps 1-32 on UV continuous, no saves on most levels, time taken just under 15 hours. I didn't manage to find any of the 'bonus' secret levels, by the way.

I'd say that at its best it's an enjoyable experience if you're looking for straightforward, knockabout blasting action with few frustrations. It recreates the environment and ambience of PSX Doom pretty well, though perhaps lacking a bit of its subtle dark creepiness.

I do think that the first 15 or 20 levels were far too easy and similar however. In those large rooms or areas, dealing with the monsters all too often felt like the proverbial 'shooting fish in a barrel'. The wad would have been a lot better and tighter if at least ten of these maps had been removed, or even if it had consisted solely of maps 16-30 (plus 31 and 32). Hopefully this will not be seen as unduly harsh criticism - I feel that even the most acclaimed 32 level megawads, like MM2 or Alien Vendetta for example, would have been a lot better at maximum 20 levels.

A couple of final points: the Nightmare Imps made a significant difference to the overall difficulty - I died twice in the ambush at the end of map 16, but perhaps they should have been introduced well before then? Plus I liked the use of teleporters to provide shortcuts and remove the need for backtracking, and was glad you didn't employ them to dump the player into crass, predictable over-the-top ambushes.

Edited by Summer Deep

Had a lot of fun. Granted, there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to not making lots of huge rooms and using more dark sectors to help make the level more tense/hellish (some levels were too bright to be a Hell level). I did love the concept of Silent Hill's Nowhere being applied to some bonus and standard levels. Gotta admit I wasn't expecting those elements and it helped greatly on making the WAD scarier. So yeah, there were lots of rooms that could have benefited greatly from darker lightning and I could tell you got a lot better at this with the last 10 levels. In recap, try not to do a lot of huge areas, make better use of darker sectors (boosts atmosphere), more detailed levels and please do keep exploring the nightmare/nowhere concepts as it was awesome.

Still playing through the mapset, but I have a couple of comments:

- I've been kicking it old-school by playing the entire thing on UV using a Dualshock and I can't stress enough how fun and nostalgic it's been to play this way. It's been lots of fun spotting which areas draw inspiration from which maps, and I have to say, there have been some specific areas that were more than a little familiar <3

- You have the PSX aesthetic pretty much down pat, however some areas could do with a little more overall light variation (not necessarily colour), particularly the corridors in MAP16 where the walls, floor and ceiling are, for the most part, a flat shade of beige.

- While I absolutely understand the stylistic reasons for giving the Nightmare Imps negative fireballs, I find that they are almost impossible to see, particularly in low light areas. The first few maps after their introduction felt like I was being hitscanned on occasion. For the record, I did originally consider using these kinds of fireballs in Threshold, but I went with the D64-esque purple fireballs precisely for this reason.

- As mentioned above, your use of teleporters is spot-on, cutting backtracking and facing the player in the right direction to progress. Great work.

- You might want to consider including the statusbar from the full PSX Doom TC. The old ACS version in your mod is rather clunkily implemented and doesn't show up properly at certain resolutions.

- One last thing: the Hellknight/Chaingunner exit door trap in (IIRC) MAP04 has a single-use switch for the real exit, rendering the map unbeatable if you don't go through it in time.

That's all for now. I'm eager to get back into this as it's the most fun I've had in a Doom mod in months. And I can play it comfortably on a sofa :D

Very short of echo, as in the original conversion. Another good thing to add the same savory sound of flattening dead enemies doors. The same maps was a bit monotonous and sloppy looking.

At level 10, there are errors with sectors that cause texture loss in motion. 15 contains illogical views from the window openings in the next room. The work carried out a lot, so it is not good to spoil the impression of such shortcomings.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:15 PM, NightFright said:

I took the liberty of creating a cleaned-up version of the whole addon. All duplicate sounds, music, scripts etc. should be removed. I also included the script fixes I had posted earlier (for decorate and mapinfo), plus a small fix for gameinfo which had a weapon slot definition which definitely did not belong there. Titlemap.wad has been extracted and is now loaded separately, making the intro animation finally functional.

Download optimized release (PK3, 145 MB)

Maybe I didn't catch 100% of everything, but I doubt that removing even more would make any significant difference. More than 110 MB have been cut. Loading times should also be a lot faster than this due to the massively reduced amount of files which are parsed during startup. Enjoy!

*EDIT*

Updated download with additional script optimization (only PSXHUD is used and loaded now, the rest of the scripts was non-functional)

Link to download does not work. Please update the link to the optimized release.

Thank you.

I've been working my way through this for the past couple months, as a kind of palate-cleanser between other WADs, almost. I'm up to MAP16 now (having found all secret maps thus far) and I love it. Good job.

I want to try to remaster the levels of this project. Make it also compatible with older versions of the port. The conversion of Doom PS is very rich and therefore there is a desire to do something more game. The background tracks of Mr. Hodges and various other effects are more suitable to the theme of the maps.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:31 PM, Negrostrike said:

Can you (or someone else) please update the link to the fixed version?

Agreed. @NightFright can you upload it again?

Errr I dunno if I have that file still. I deleted it because I thought a new release had already been made. It's possible I don't have a backup of this any more, but I'll look. Maybe it's still in the Dropbox trashbin.

I have the file here; I'm pretty sure it's @NightFright's version since I'm a pack-rat and grab the best version of interesting WADs for PortaDOOM.

edit: my host is preventing me from sharing such files. Where should I upload it?

edit2: Try copy & pasting this link into a new tab; don't click it! (referrer blocking?)

http://camendesign.com/_stuff/triton.7z

Edited by Kroc : URL

BTW @NightFright / @BeeWen, I was looking for a way to reduce the size of this WAD to be able to distribute it with PSX DOOM TC and other possible PSX style WADs in PortaDOOM; perhaps the PSX texture set could be split out into a common PSX resource WAD to be shared by PSXDOOM.PK3 / TRITON.PK3 etc.

23 hours ago, Kroc said:

I have the file here; I'm pretty sure it's @NightFright's version since I'm a pack-rat and grab the best version of interesting WADs for PortaDOOM.

edit: my host is preventing me from sharing such files. Where should I upload it?

edit2: Try copy & pasting this link into a new tab; don't click it! (referrer blocking?)

http://camendesign.com/_stuff/triton.7z 

Crap. I get this when I try to run it in GZDoom:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "triton.pk3:triton.wad:MAPINFO" line 497:
Unexpected end of file in cluster definition

Edit: Above link has been updated with fix.

There's a trailing comma at the bottom of that given file. You can use SLADE3 to delete it and resave the WAD, then the PK3.

clusterdef 2
{
music= "BONUS 07"
flat= BLACK
ExitText=
"The huge fortress was not man made and" ,
"suprise, Suprise it is another gateway" ,
"to their dimension. And one of your old" ,
"pals was gaurding it." ,
"After entering the gateway. Hell is just" ,
"how you remembered. Screams of aggony feel" ,
"the air, demons around every corner, fires" ,
"burn in the sky, and dead bodies everywhere" , 
"to complete the scenery. What makes it " ,
" worseis that this time, you are only at" ,
" the gates of Hell." ,
"Looks like a long journey ahead" , <-- remove this comma
}

Edited by Kroc : Updated uploaded copy with fix

Thanks for saving my fixed version from oblivion, guys. I had really completely wiped it from all my storage devices since I thought there was already a better version out there. Didn't see that the author was actually only teasing it without any download option.

13 hours ago, Gideon020 said:

What's the word on playing this with mods? No go, weapons only, or weapons and monsters are fine?

Speaking as someone who likes to experiment with this sort of thing, I say give it a go. You might need to alter the order in which the files are executed (ZDoom Launcher is a simple program that's great for this), depending the mod. For example, the negative imps and pinkies might get overwritten, depending on how the original WAD defines them.

Somebody who knows how the back-end of this kind of stuff actually works might be able to give more details. Can't see the harm in fiddling around though.

I was a bit interested in the 7th Bonus Map, where there are teleporters to take you to places from 6 other maps. But, I can only recognize House of Pain, Halls of the Damned, and Threshold of Pain. What are the other 3?

@RileyXY1 You recognized all the old maps in the level. The other three areas were actually made up. I kind of went for a 50:50 level were half the teleporters take you somewhere new, whilst the others take you back to the past.

Thanks for the play though.