Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

In your opinion, who should win the "the mapper of the year " titles from 1994 to 2003?

"10 years of doom" was the prototype for what is known now as the "cacowards", but it has only listed the best wads, not the "Mapper of the year" titles like from 2004 onward(or the "5 years of doom" feature, sorta).

So, in your humble opinion, who should be the MOTY of those years?

IMHO:
-1994: Justin Fisher(Dr Sleep is close tho)

-1995:Thomas Möller

-1996: Iikka Keränen

-1997: Sverre Kvernmo

-1998: i dunno, tough year, but for me its Roger Ritenour  

-1999: another tough one, Kurt Kesler?

-2000: Ola Björling

-2001: Richard Wiles?

-2002: Kim André Malde ftw

-2003: Chris Lutz

Oh, and sorry if theards like this have been made, just link me them :)

Edited by Catpho : fix stuff

-1996: Tim Willits. Also should mention Casali Bros. for making Plutonia in short time.

Edited by riderr3

2003: Erik Alm with Scythe. His designs had tremendous influence on the way people worked with textures and especially lighting, and he pretty much reinvented the genre of short punchy arena-like maps.

1994--Leo Martin Lim for Doomsday of UAC / Stanley Stasiak for Castle of Evil (tie) (if I absolutely had to choose it'd go to Leo Martin Lim due to the special effect discovery that's still being used)

1995--Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath for Serenity III (Infinity)

1996--Matthias Worch for the Trooper's Playground

1997--Jan Van der Veken for Dawn of the Dead

1998--Chris Lutz for Inferno 

1999--Richard Wiles for Crusades

2000--Kurt Kessler for kboom series, kmetl3+, etc.

2001--Kristian Aro for Brotherhood of Ruin

2002--Paul Corfiatis for 2002ADO

2003--Erik Alm for Sycthe

Here are the reasons for my picks:

-1994: joepallai has a good point about the author of Doomsday of UAC, and i think Dr Sleep deserves a chance for his also pioneering maps. But i went with Fisher because making a TC with such ambition and subsequently landing a job for it deserves a award :P

-1995: making a award wining mapset that year, and spearheading 2 of the most important cps in doom history is nuff said

-1996: 3d tricks anyone?

-1997: Tough, but i chose him cause of his epic map Darkdome, major contributions to one of the most famous doom megawads, and making it big with the master levels thingy

-1998: Another tough choice, but his map are beautiful and he released 2 of them so yea

-1999: Kzdoom is good stuff, but i dunno, i could have pick anyone this year :P

-2000: Darken e2 is so epic it warrants this

-2001: Always liked Slayer, still this year could have been another pick

-2002: Made AV famous(well, one of the reasons at least)

-2003: Shot detailing up to a new height

Edited by Catpho

Im just dying to hear some of your responses(sorry if this comes up as obnoxious, but i really want to hear more opinions about this :P)

2001 belongs to Russell Pearson for his fantastic Null Space single level. He also contributed a similar map to the very first 1024 project. Also, his Lego Base level from 2002 is totally boss! Do yourself a favor and play these two!

Furthermore, Alien Vendetta v1 was released in 2001, so one could argue that Malde/Johnsen should win 2001 instead.

Earth.wad and the sequel (Phobos 2) had some neat design tricks, but gameplay was unbeleiveably clumsy. EDIT: Replayed it just now, and gameplay is actually C-R-A-P.

I agree with whomever above that nominated Richard Wiles for Crusades, I liked that far better than Slayer, even though I've played the heck out of that one too, despite the ugly pistol replacement sound.

I also agree with nominating Björling for The Darkening 2 (One of the best damn episode wads ever!) and Iikka Keränen (for his works in Dystopia 3 and Requiem). The latter was really inspiring for me back in 97.

Edited by Uncle 80 : heh

1997: Yonatan Donner for Hell Revealed, you can't really dispute this. He changed everything.

-1994: Dr. Sleep
-1995: Jim Flynn
-1996: Tom Mustaine
-1997: Iikka Keränen
-1998: Roger Ritenour
-1999: Richard Wiles
-2000: Jan Van der Veken
-2001: Fredrik Johansson
-2002: Kim André Malde
-2003: Erik Alm

The problem is there are too many influential mappers from this time period; every year was a tie until I forced a choice; examples would be Russell Pearson and Adelusion and Michael Krause that were just past up in my list (Dr. Sleep as well).  Glad to see Roger Ritenour getting some appreciation; I always liked what he was doing with maps.

Of course i remember Adelusion! Gothic texture are so sweet :) Tbh, picking these were tough, especially the 1996, 1997 years.

Oh, and his sp maps are nice too, but i keep ending liking Keränen's more :P

great topic :3

i'm trying to remember who made the third hub of Hexen so I can nominate them as my fave '95 mapper x3 this is probably inane pedantry though

Just now, yakfak said:

great topic :3

i'm trying to remember who made the third hub of Hexen so I can nominate them as my fave '95 mapper x3 this is probably inane pedantry though

lol do doom clone mappers count?

4 minutes ago, Catpho said:

lol do doom clone mappers count?

it's stretch, but Heretic packs have won cacowards before, right?

PS I agree with most of your list but I think I would sneak in Natural Tvventy for '97 cos end1.wad owns Eternal Doom and Requiem with its hands tied behind its back >:)

2001: Anders Johnsen for inventive lighting/architecture and giving hell a new face. Without Fire Walk With Me there would be no Deus Vult.

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

it's stretch, but Heretic packs have won cacowards before, right?

PS I agree with most of your list but I think I would sneak in Natural Tvventy for '97 cos end1.wad owns Eternal Doom and Requiem with its hands tied behind its back >:)

YOU DIDNT JUST SAY THAT >:(

Your punishment is to play end1.wad over and over until you change your opinion :))))))

1994: John "Dr. Sleep" Anderson / Justin Fisher / Michael Kelsey
1995: Denis/Thomas Möller / Sean Birkel / Paul Schmitz
1996: Dario/Milo Casali / Tom Mustaine
1997: Sverre Kvernmo / Jim Flynn / Bob Evans / Iikka Keränen / Anthony Czerwonka / Yonatan Donner / Malcolm Sailor
1998: Kurt Kesler
1999: Richard Wiles
2000: Ola Björling
2001: Thomas Van Der Velden / B.P.R.D. / Fredrik Johansson
2002: Anders Johnsen / Kim Andre Malde
2003: Erik Alm / Kristian Aro

Really hard to say, honestly.

2 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

2001: Thomas Van Der Velden / B.P.R.D. / Fredrik Johansson

Really hard to say, honestly.

B.P.R.D. has a Mapper of the Year title for 2004, so at least that makes one decision easier.

11 hours ago, Memfis said:

2001: Anders Johnsen for inventive lighting/architecture and giving hell a new face. Without Fire Walk With Me there would be no Deus Vult.

Wanst AV considered for the 2002 best doom wads(i know its original release date, but still)?

Well...

1994: Hmmm, tough one. I like Micheal Kelsey and Leo Martin Lim, but if I'm forced to chose it would be Leo Martin Lim.

1995: Jim Flynn

1996: Adelusion would've been nice, but I like Iikka Keränen better.

1997: Either Kvernmo or Sailor.

1998: Definitely Michael Krause.

1999: Richard Wiles.

2000: Ola Björling, that dude did really impressive stuff.

2001: Fredrik.

2002: Anders Johnsen or Kim Andre Malde? Can't decide.

2003: Both Cyb and Lutz are awesome, but Lutz is my winner. Erik Alm is also good, but his 2005 offering is better.

That's all!