Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Looking for Partner

Hi. I am looking for an experienced mapper that I could collaborate on a map or two with. I'm kinda a noob still, so any help would be appreciated. I will explain in greater detail if anyone wants to hear.

I guess I can offer some advice on mapping. I'm definitely not among the best mappers, but I have few years of experience and might be helpful in some way.

I'm not offering to actually collaborate on a map but I'm happy to offer advice and suggestions. If you use discord you're more than welcome to join my server over here - https://discord.gg/6kxMdvM

There's frequently discussions on mapping as well as a load of other Doom related chat. I & other members there often help others with their mapping and modding questions so you might learn from the sidelines, too. :)

9 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

.... that I could collaborate on a map or two ....

What is your definition of "collaborate"? Do you want to provide direction, while the experienced mapper translates your vision into a map? Or do you want to create the skeleton of your map and ask an experienced mapper to flesh it out (e.g., detailing)? Or do you want to create the map on your own, but get the experienced mapper to create the gameplay? Or something in-between?

In that case, I would suggest you create your map, then post it here (in the Wads & Mods Forum) for suggestions and critiques. Some mappers may volunteer to detail your map for you.

Some points to note while creating the geometry for your map:

1. Use varying floor and ceiling heights to the extent possible, within the constraints of your map's overall design and gameplay. This includes platforms, stairs, lifts, pits, etc.

2. Use non-orthogonal (non-right angled) geometry at least occasionally.

3. If possible, create one or more outdoor areas in addition to your indoor areas.

4. Use windows strategically (e.g., to show areas that the player will visit later in her/his progression, or for sniping).

5. Break up large/long, flat walls with accents, such as inset/shelves/sconces, supports, etc., as long as they don't obstruct gameplay. [This suggestion is more about detailing, than about map design.]

@StevenC21 you should consider joining the "joy of mapping" discord. There are always people there who can help you get your maps together. The place has tutors, so use the search function, join that discord, get mapping...

Is this enough? These are both pictures of my current map.

Edit: Oh, and the weird lines are so I remember how I want my map to flow.

qBit at 2018.03.08 06-03-58.710 [R3004].jpg

qBit.wad-MAP01 at 2018.03.08 06-06-14.884 [R3004].jpg

Honestly, judging by your screenshots, you need play more maps and learn about good, nice layouts and gameplay flow. And try include those elements in your maps. And join those servers ;)

I second Nine's and Haruko's idea of joining the server for further help.

There you'll find the necessary help for your current situation.

7 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

Is this enough? These are both pictures of my current map.

Edit: Oh, and the weird lines are so I remember how I want my map to flow

The overview looks like all your map has in it are two former humans, an exit, and a few empty rooms, basically.

Is that map finished yet, or is there something going to be happening with it?

I'd say just do what you want to do and whatever in your first map while you learn the editor. Then do more cool stuff/whatever "feels right" after getting some of that experience. Also maybe we could collaborate on a little map idk. Have some cool gameplay ideas and try rolling with that! Think about how your map would play and have a cool MIDI tune to go with it for your grand map play.

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

38 minutes ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

Inspire yourself by screenshots and send me something more pimped. If I will like it, you will get a guest map slot.

I'm not sure you understand what the guy is actually looking for. His idea, as far as I can tell, was to do a map with someone else, and getting stuff explained "on the fly", like a sort of apprenticeship, I suppose. He isn't looking to make an impression here, so he can get seated for a spot in an already running mapping project.

The picture with the plan view of your early map areas looks promising. And your place-holder lines indicates you have a plan for the rest of your map. Both of these are good things.

Your screen-shot, however, looks utterly plain and uninspired, even setting aside the lack of detailing (which, I understand, you plan to do later with a collaborator). All I see is a perimeter wall and a monolithic steel structure with a solitary window. Is this meant to be a building into which the player must enter at some point? Is it meant to be just a pillar, with no gameplay value except to shield the player from attack (and, perhaps, allowing the player to complete some objective by entering the window)?

Practice making interior areas, particularly of buildings. DooM textures lend themselves to creating computer rooms and tech rooms (which appear to be the themes you are going for). Creating such rooms is relatively straightforward, so try these out if they are consistent with your map's theme.

Another suggestion: When making interior rooms, avoid simply making one rectangular room after another. You can create a room with side areas, or a room that curves, or that zig-zags, or that turns at right-angles to itself. This creates a visual interest, while allowing the gameplay to unfold. There are plenty of examples, and I have attached just one:

5aa2a2ae231e7_ExampleWad.jpg.42279ce346626af6f006223831e8abac.jpg

11 minutes ago, Memfis said:

What map is that?

I presume that question was directed at me. It is one of the maps in a 14-map project I released about a year ago.

[Holy Cow! Do you really have 9,700 posts in just under 11 years? Phenomenal!]

@ReX That area with the window is actually where the player would be, he would look out. The ultimate exit to the map is on the outside.