Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Is this a used game resealed to pass off as new?

Is this a used game resealed to pass off as new?

I purchased the below new and sealed big box game off an unnamed Ebay seller (the game is Wizard works F!Zone add-on for Fury3).

However, when I received it, I found the cellophane was yfold instead of shrink wrap, had this fold over down the entire back side of it and that it was also a little loose.

In the past I have always considered such as a used game resealed to pass it off as new; I have ran in to resealed games passed off as new in the past. However, this time I figured I would ask others opinions?

So what do you guys think; is this a used game resealed to pass off as new?

DSC_0291.JPG

Yep, looks like a re-sealed game. Sure looks like it.

Although I've bought some cheap DVDs from Walmart that had terrible shrink wrapping, but 99.9% of the time commercial products have a standardized and professional looking shrink wrap. There are do it yourself kits out there, that have a poor quality shrink wrap like the one in your picture. Maybe the company was a bunch of do it yourselvers?

I learned about 20 years ago never buy anything "new" and or shrink wrapped from a flea market, from Amazon resellers and of course from eBay. Even $5 games somehow are worth the trouble to be bootlegged with a fake cartridge that is imperfect, complete with manuals and boxes.

Wizard Works marketed & sold the D!Zone series, which pretty much exclusively consisted of free mods available on the internet. Considering they are a "low-budget software developer", it's possible that F!Zone was sold cheap. However, if you bought it on eBay from a third-party seller, chances are that it's not new.

Edited by fraggle : Fix doom wiki links

Just now, Catpho said:

Epic wikia quote there @ReX :P

(You know the actual doom wiki right?)

Ha! Indeed, I do. But I just picked the first result that came up in an internet search.

For what it's worth, I own two sealed WizardWorks titles also from the !Zone series, so they're pretty equal comparisons. While I don't have full and absolute confirmation that these are the original factory seals, it's obvious from what I've seen that there's plenty of unsold stock of these products still hanging around, so it's not really a surprise to see sealed copies still going up for sale.

That said, the seals on my two !Zone titles don't match your F!Zone box, but they also don't match each other. The boxes themselves are of different sizes as well, so it's clear that WizWorks also changed their manufacturing process at some point for whatever reason. Hence, while signs do point to your F!Zone box being a reseal, it's possible it could just be one of WizardWorks' cheaper distribution efforts. Does it look like the corners or edges of the box inside the cellophane have already received any shelf wear?

DvAzF3a.jpg

huLEZTC.jpg

In any case, resealed or no (which I think they are) Those boxes are in pretty decent condition, which is definitely rare for these days.

I definitely remember PC games back in the day coming in really bad shrinkwrap, partly so as to not crush the boxes. You had to snip off one of the sticking out bits and tear it open. These days everything is in that really tight, folded shrinkwrap that we're all so used to. It depended on the company but for the most part this was normal.