Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

Flats and walls

Question

Since my first three "The Mis-Adventures of Dynamite" all the floor, ceiling and well textures are using flats. Since I know not many source-ports can see flats on walls (Than again with 3D floors and 3D models that probably shrinks the source-port pool more) is it really necessary to use wall textures instead of flats for textures on walls?

(Also I literally have no idea how to texture a wall outside of flats... yup! I can do 3D models, scripts and multiple levels with multiple classes but can't texture a wall! :P)

9 answers to this question

9 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

....is it really necessary to use wall textures instead of flats for textures on walls? .... Also I literally have no idea how to texture a wall outside of flats... 

In source ports that flow from ZDooM (e.g. QZDooM, GZDooM, etc.) you can freely interchange flats and textures. One way to simplify things is to have a folder in your pk3 (assuming you're using a pk3 resource management structure) named TEXTURE, where you put all your graphic resources.

See namespace on the ZDoom Wiki.

To summarize and simplify, ZDoom has three main types of textures:

1. Wall textures
  2. Flat textures
  3. Override textures

If you have a wall textured with FOO, ZDoom will seek a texture named FOO first in the overrides, then in the walls, and finally in the flats. Inversely, a flat textured with FOO, the order will be override, then flats, then walls.

Now why does this matter? Because flats and walls can have the same name. Here's a vanilla example:

Y2sOk3F.png

This is STEP1

9zhZ8r6.png

This is also STEP1 (Doom 1 version; Doom II version is taller BTW)

If you put STEP1 on a wall, it'll prefer the latter because it's the STEP1 texture that is a wall texture.

A texture that can be applied to any surface I guess, whether Floor / Ceiling or Linedef.

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

^ What's the purpose of the override textures?

Well, consider Gez's example: in normal circumstances, a normal texture named STEP1 will only replace the stairstep STEP1, while a flat texture named STEP 1 will only replace the platform top STEP1. But if you you make an override texture named STEP1, both vanilla STEP1s will be replaced.