Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rocketman

Doom Builder help

Hello,

I recently got Doom Builder and tried to use it to make a map, but couldn't figure it out. I tried to find out how on the Reference section which came with the download but could not make sense of it. If anyone could help, PLEASE DO! Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

how far have you gotten friend??

have you at least created a map and just can't figure out how to start drawing your masterpiece?

Here's a playlist for Doom Builder 2 tutorials which is useful for newbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIh3EmorY3A&list=PLCE835098C82D8F24

There's better editors now (GZDoom Builder or DBX), but these DB2 tutorials will still be mostly relevant.

If you're looking for some active mapping help from time to time, hop onto a few Doom discord servers, people might be able to help. I know a lot of editing questions get asked over on my Discord, and I and other veteran mappers often try to help. :)

Here's an invite link if that interests you: https://discord.gg/6kxMdvM

In addition to that server, you could check out the Joy of Mapping 6, whenever that happens. - it's a community project that welcomes mappers of all levels and has a set of active 'tutors', myself included. :)

If you ask a specific question it's easier to help. Like, how do I make a room, or how do I make a door etc.

Bear in mind that it can take up to 24 hours to get a response cause people live in different timezones and might be asleep when you post, so keep learning even when you're waiting for a reply.

My recommendation, keep it simple to begin with. Simpler the better. Avoid complicated things like scripting and editing sprites until much later, or you'll overload yourself. To begin with learning the basics is relevant to all editors, like understanding the difference between lines, vectors, sectors and things, lower, mid and upper textures and how these game elements work together.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:14 AM, Rocketman said:

Hello,

I recently got Doom Builder and tried to use it to make a map, but couldn't figure it out. I tried to find out how on the Reference section which came with the download but could not make sense of it. If anyone could help, PLEASE DO! Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

If you are not averse to do some reading, then I can recommend John W. Anderson's Doombuilder Guide.

You can find it here (bottom of the page) or here. It is targeting the original Doombuilder by CodeImp, but

it is still relevant for modern iterations of the editor, such as DB2, DBX, GZDB, GZDB-BF.

And/or avail yourself of the Reference Manual (which is included with every editor release) from the Help window.

Edited by Kappes Buur : added links

On 3/8/2018 at 2:28 PM, bonnie said:

how far have you gotten friend??

have you at least created a map and just can't figure out how to start drawing your masterpiece?

No. No map. Can't figure that out.

1 minute ago, Rocketman said:

No. No map. Can't figure that out.

file -> new map

then set your resources (like custom textures and whatnot) and set what map slot you want your map to occupy, usually starting with MAP01 (e1m1 if doing doom 1)

Just now, bonnie said:

file -> new map

then set your resources (like custom textures and whatnot) and set what map slot you want your map to occupy, usually starting with MAP01.

OK. I did that already and once I start to draw, it makes a line. When I release the mouse, that line disappears.

have you tried both left and right clicking (not at the same time)? one should end the line, and the other should put a vertex there and allow you to continue drawing lines until you connect back to the original vertex

and what version of doom builder are you using? doom builder, doom builder 2, or gzdoombuilder (which isn't limited to just gzdoom)? I strongly recommend gzdoombuilder, not only because I'll be able to help you more, but also because it has some very handy extra features over doom builder 2 (and you definitely shouldn't be using doom builder 1)

5 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I don't know what version I use. I think the latest one.

That doesn't answer any question I asked. Doom builder, Doom builder 2, and gzdoombuilder are all separate map editors (though I think you might mean gzdoombuilder).

Can you try "help -> about" and tell me what it says?

edit: and did the clicking thing I said work??

34 minutes ago, bonnie said:

edit: and did the clicking thing I said work??

I haven't tried because I have since taken down the PC setup. I will try when I get the chance.

41 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I don't know what version I use. I think the latest one.

Every version of the editor iterations that you download, may it be

Doombuilder 1, Doombuilder2, GZDoom Builder, GZDoom Builder-Bugfix, DBX

have the editor name and the revision version in the name of the downloadable file.

Telling us that you do not know which editor and version you have downloaded and installed

is quite unbelievable.

Both Dragonfly and I gave you links which help you to use the editor. But my link would

have you read and learn, which you obviously are not willing to do. But I give it one more

shot at helping you and give you a link to more video tutorials which you hopefully will watch

http://doombuilder.com/index.php?p=tutorials

For any further help you must specify which editor/version you use and which map format

you are trying to create maps.

You should make use of the wikis

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Entryway

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

Telling us that you do not know which editor and version you have downloaded and installed

is quite unbelievable.

Both Dragonfly and I gave you links which help you to use the editor. But my link would

have you read and learn, which you obviously are not willing to do.

OK I don't want to be rude, but

A.) I have not used the program since January, when I took it down. I was actually thinking about setting it back up and running it again.

B.) Not once did I say that I was not willing to read and learn. I haven't gotten the time to do so. I appreciate your help with this and I will read the links you sent when I get the chance.

Mapping needs a patience. To make a quality map (not just a couple of boxes with monsters), people receive experience for years. The feedback from other people for your maps can be very helpful.

Years ago, when I making my first map, I even din't read tutorials, just played out the fun with editor.

30 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I have not used the program since January

Your original post is from March 9th?

31 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Not once did I say that I was not willing to read and learn

It was implied when you were provided with all the tutorials you needed but then ignored them.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Mapping needs a patience. To make a quality map (not just a couple of boxes with monsters), people receive experience for years. The feedback from other people for your maps can be very helpful.

Years ago, when I making my first map, I even din't read tutorials, just played out the fun with editor.

I think to begin with just having a box shaped room connected to another box shaped room via a corridor and door is enough to get started. Once you've got that bit working then you can rise to greater things (by a lift lol).