Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Best ending?

I've been impressed by endings which deal well with the Icon Of Sin idea, providing an interesting twist but not setting out to baffle the player or create a near impossible task. Examples are the conclusions to Perdition's Gate and Memento Mori 2. A mention also for Odyssey (https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/3846-odyssey/).

Wads which in my opinion spectacularly fail in this department are Alien Vendetta and Doom 2 The Way Id Did.

Scythe 2 map30, for tying together all the previous episodes which otherwise felt disjointed.

Anyway, there are plenty of good doom wad endings i have seen. Give me some time to remember them all :P

Maybe later, ill dump them here and sort them by year.

I've already forgotten what WAD this was from, but this is an ending that has stuck with me for ages.

mj2JPf1.png

I recall it being very satisfying because it meant the WAD was over and I wouldn't have to play it anymore.

The last line of that is enough to tell that whatever it was is horrible and should be expurgated from the Earth for the betterment of all.

Ancient Aliens.

The megawad I always mention: Going Down :) Seriously, so good! First time I just assumed it was a no-exit "thanks for playing" ending, and then....

Going Down comes to mind, though for me it's MAP29 that seals the deal. Escaping the underground and enacting revenge on that nightmare-inducing tower by blowing it the hell up is a glorious "fuck you!" moment.

Most of Paul Corfiatis's works (particularly the older ones) have amusing endings. Twilight Zone 2 ends in you confronting Johnny Boy, a cartoon kid that put the multiverse in danger by attaining the Tome of Eternity. 2001: A Doom Odyssey ends with you rescuing doomguy's wife from Tommy the Trooper (a zombieman you kill after having already plowed through several cyberdemons and masterminds). Bella is a about "rescuing" a backpack from a white cyberdemon jelly named Bella (i.e. a white spectre cyberdemon). Bella 2 is about capturing Massmouth and stopping cyborg Romero (both courtesy of, well, Massmouth) from reviving Bella. 

12 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

I've already forgotten what WAD this was from, but this is an ending that has stuck with me for ages.

mj2JPf1.png

I recall it being very satisfying because it meant the WAD was over and I wouldn't have to play it anymore.

This is from TOONS FOR DOOM 2. A furry TC that's only positive takeaway are the weapon sprites (which create a crude faux-3rd-person type effect). Everything else on the other hand (absurd sounds, abysmal level design, and err.. questionable themes) will leave mind irreversibly damaged. 

21 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ancient Aliens.

Yeah that was so hilarious 

Doom II's, of course. I love games with a happy ending.

23 hours ago, Gez said:

The last line of that is enough to tell that whatever it was is horrible and should be expurgated from the Earth for the betterment of all.

No shit, the author seems to have forgotten the importance of checking for grammatical/spelling errors before releasing a wad.

THE GRAMMAR GODS ARE DISPLEASED.

Edited by HavoX

Titan 2 ended in a large coliseum with hordes of enemies teleporting in while the stands were filled with Knights and Barons heckling you. And by heckling, I mean lobbing fireballs down into the arena. Tough crowd ...

Also--Double Impact's Cyberlicious final map is imho the most satisfying FPS final battle I've ever played. It's things like that that make me feel like "yeah, they keep making video games but the commercial industry will never outdo the Doom community."

On 9.3.2018 at 10:41 AM, Catpho said:

You mean best end text or best finale level? Or both?

Anything that leaves you satisfied at having completed it. Could be a good boss fight setup, a well told story, just being glad that it was finally over. Anything that ends well. 

Which wad was it that had some weird submerged shit at the end, with bubbles, fish (even shipwrecks) and stuff? That's the one for me actually, was shoecked at the time how much effort had gone into the bye-bye bit. Can't recall the name of it!

7 hours ago, Soundblock said:

Anything that leaves you satisfied at having completed it. Could be a good boss fight setup, a well told story, just being glad that it was finally over. Anything that ends well. 

Which wad was it that had some weird submerged shit at the end, with bubbles, fish (even shipwrecks) and stuff? That's the one for me actually, was shoecked at the time how much effort had gone into the bye-bye bit. Can't recall the name of it!

I put it in spoiler, so if its right, other people wont be spoiled:

Spoiler

BTSX e1 map 25?

When I read the title, I thought you were asking how to get the best ending in Doom where you kill the spider mastermind and Doomguy's pet rabbit survives because you wiped out hell completely and the demons don't invade earth. You get this ending by getting 100% secrets, kills and items on every level in Doom. It's not the canonical ending though.

I hope you got the normal ending, which is the canonical ending. I got the bad ending once and it scarred me for life.

Just now, Zulk RS said:

When I read the title, I thought you were asking how to get the best ending in Doom where you kill the spider mastermind and Doomguy's pet rabbit survives because you wiped out hell completely and the demons don't invade earth. You get this ending by getting 100% secrets, kills and items on every level in Doom. It's not the canonical ending though.

I hope you got the normal ending, which is the canonical ending. I got the bad ending once and it scarred me for life.

BEST POST 10/10 would do it again

Just kidding, do whatever you want, but in a way that pays respect to the op, mkay :)

4 minutes ago, Catpho said:

BEST POST 10/10 would do it again

Just kidding, do whatever you want, but in a way that pays respect to the op, mkay :)

Uh okay. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful though.