Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xanrer

Few voxel questions

Question

Hi there, i have few questions:

1. I want to import the vox or any supported file that i made in magicalvoxel is that possible?
  2. How can i gave it collision?
  3. Is there a way to make texture of the voxel animated in game?

6 answers to this question

On 9/3/2018 at 5:44 PM, xanrer said:

Hi there, i have few questions:

1. I want to import the vox or any supported file that i made in magicalvoxel is that possible?
  2. How can i gave it collision?
  3. Is there a way to make texture of the voxel animated in game?

1.- With Slab6 you can convert from .vox to .kvx which is the format that GZDoom supports.

2.- You can't give it collision to the voxel itself, the collision is dictated by the collision of the "thing" that is attached to.

3.- In the same "thing" , trough decorate , the "thing" can have a constantly looping animation , every frame can be replaced for a voxel , so you should have a voxel for every frame of the animation if you want to do something animated with voxels.

I'm kinda new to voxels tho , so it would be nice to have confirmation if some of this information is inaccurate.
Also is very important that you set the center of the voxels properly in Slab6 otherwise it would appear offset of his actual position.

Hmm thank you. So im guessing that i also can move voxels for example i attach the voxel object to a door so when the door goes up the voxels follow it as well correct?

Kind of a dumber question but how do we implement voxels do we just put it in a pk3 and use that as source? If yes are they in the things mode?

create a folder inside your pk3 and name it voxels, and place your voxel files there, make sure your voxel file name is the same as the sprite file name you're about to replace, your voxels may need some scaling up / down also, more info on this here : https://zdoom.org/wiki/VOXELDEF

1 hour ago, xanrer said:

Hmm thank you. So im guessing that i also can move voxels for example i attach the voxel object to a door so when the door goes up the voxels follow it as well correct?

I don't know if it could work that way , I remember seeing volumetric textures , but I don't know how this could work.

Also yes you should read the VOXELDEF , and Decorate , and textures/flat patches , to pull out what you are trying to do here.