Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

What did it felt like when you guys started mapping?

I remember how I made an empty room with nothing inside expect the player start.

It was so great. I was like "Geez I should make another room"

My first set of reactions:

*draws 1 line*

Neat. I drew a line.

*connects the line with a few more lines to produce a square room*

Woah! Floor textures! Neat!

*attempts to play the map*

*forgets to add a player start*

*Adds one in and adds a shotgun and an imp*

*plays game*

*shoots imp*

*Closes doom*

*forgets to save map*

*goes to bed*

*wakes up and realises map wasn't saved*

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

*forgets to add a player start*

Hahaha, I had forgotten how many times I did that! xD

Posted (edited)

When i started making maps for Doom, I used Doom Builder but the laptop I was using was so outdated that it couldn't use 3D mode so my maps were very simple and had many problems, such as sky textures on walls, missing floors, and while sectors bleeding to the bottom of the screen like slime trails.

I didn't know about source ports at the time (though later I started using ZDoom) so I just used Doom95, having to deal with the game crashing for seemingly no reason when I added the smallest things to some of my maps.

A lot of the maps were literally just corridors with no height changes and barely any doors as I had no clue how to make them. Good thing I eventually got better laptops and started mapping for ZDoom after that!

Here's pictures of some of this bad level design I think I first made.

Operation Desert Storm. A very dark outdoors area with Archviles visible in the distance.Screenshot_Doom_20180404_172631.png.8296a8a5a684d7cbc09c7d02548f2f95.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180404_172719.png.24660a774861347abc639e198715d6e5.png

Edited by Xane123 : Added screenshots of my bad first level design.

It was awesome when I was a kid, then it felt like a waste of time as an adult. I wish I could have made a career out of it and get paid for doing it, but that's a pipedream.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, qweqioweuo123 said:

It was awesome when I was a kid, then it felt like a waste of time as an adult.

It's a pity that you never got to enjoy the incredible creativity that DooM mapping affords. Some people have likened it to making art (and, arguably, many DooM mods are works of art, indeed).

On 4/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, qweqioweuo123 said:

I wish I could have made a career out of it and get paid for doing it, but that's a pipedream.

I've found that the 3 primary ingredients for success are talent, effort, and opportunity. If you got out of the mapping game once you became an adult, then you're missing out on effort & opportunity, both essential for making a successful career.

Still, it's never too late to jump back in, especially if you think you'll enjoy mapping again.