Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How did Brutal Doom add hitboxes/locational damage?

Question

This is something that I don't really understand. Doom uses sprites and not models, so how does Brutal Doom allow locational damage where you can shoot a zombie in the head and his head will explode, or in his leg and his leg will go flying off etc? Is this done by having more than one hitbox? and if so how does the mod deal with situations where the sprites are rotated at a different angle?

5 answers to this question

From what I recall, Brutal's headshots are handled by having all enemies spawn separate actors that represent their "head," while making the "main" actor slightly shorter than normal. If the "head" is damaged/killed, it kills its "master." This has some side-effects - it doubles the amount of CPU load per actor (possibly more than doubles, I haven't tested), but also has (had?) a tendency where enemies were accidentally head-shotting themselves if they were trying to aim up too steeply.

I don't know about Brutal Doom in particular, but it wouldn't be hard from a programming perspective. There really is no necessary correlation between the sprite and the hitbox. The sprite is just drawn where the hitbox is located. This discrepancy sometimes makes itself apparent, such as when you can shoot a zombieman around a corner whose sprite is not visible, or when your bullets/projectiles appear to pass harmlessly through a revenant's head.

All Brutal Doom has to do is split the hitbox up into parts, and implement different animations depending on which part was hit. It still just draws the sprite where this cluster of hitboxes is located.

1 minute ago, wildweasel said:

From what I recall, Brutal's headshots are handled by having all enemies spawn separate actors that represent their "head," while making the "main" actor slightly shorter than normal. If the "head" is damaged/killed, it kills its "master." This has some side-effects - it doubles the amount of CPU load per actor (possibly more than doubles, I haven't tested),

Does this mean that each hitbox had it's own HP pool? In BD headshots kill faster so I assume each part has a seperate HP pool? Doesn't that mean that it's possible for a monster to take more damage than normal if too many of your shots land on different hitboxes? Are there also seperate hitboxes for arms and legs? Surely there have to be seeing as you can blast of the legs of the zombies right?

but also has (had?) a tendency where enemies were accidentally head-shotting themselves if they were trying to aim up too steeply.

lmao

3 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

I'm guessing the damage is applied to both the master and child actors.

Interesting. I wasn't aware this was possible. I am still a pretty big noob when it comes to ACS/coding :/