Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joshthenesnerd

New DoomWiki-based game: 6 degrees of fraggle howard

ok, so, you like doom. you scroll on doomworld and doomwiki a lot.. eventually you'll notice that a lot of things on the wiki work their way back to fraggle. and because of that, i propose a game: the 6 degrees of fraggle howard. after about 45 minutes in discord talking this thing out with him a little, i've gotten down to only three rules:
1. click the random page link
2. in as clicking as few doomwiki links as possible get to this page: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Simon_Howard_(Fraggle)

3. without using the categories or the link to the user who last edited the page

good luck.

ok, i've noticed the "sourceports" page are making this a little trivial, so new rule: you cannot use the page listing all the sourceports in your journey
as an example:
i hit the random page button, got to doom arcade. from there clicked on pwad, then wad, then fragglescript then got to fraggle's page. the article on doom arcade. doom arcade has a fraggle number of 4 (for every link clicked, that adds 1 to the number. just like kevin bacon).

Edited by joshthenesnerd : one page made it trivial

4 minutes ago, fraggle said:

At last, the day has arrived. Finally I'm the Kevin Bacon of Doom

"the kevin bacon of doom" is what you shall be remembered as from now on. :P

3 hours ago, joshthenesnerd said:

i hit the random page button, got to doom arcade. from there clicked on pwad, then wad, then fragglescript then got to fraggle's page. the article on doom arcade. doom arcade has a fraggle number of 4 (for every link clicked, that adds 1 to the number. just like kevin bacon).

Doom Arcade -> ZDoom -> Freedoom -> Me

makes 3

13 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm not very good at this. 

My random page was Eternal Doom, which then went Team TNT > Doom 2 > Cover art > id Software > Timeline > Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citidel > Korax > Hit point > Status bar > Doom guy > Space marine > rapid-deployment > The US Army's 82nd Airborne Division > Iraqi Security Forces > Republic of Iraq > the Tigris–Euphrates river system > and then I realized I'd ended up on Wikipedia. 

I went Eternal Doom -> Vanilla Doom -> Source Ports -> Chocolate Doom -> Fraggle.

My first try was 2 clicks because I was lucky enough to land on another person's page,

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/RestlessRodent -> Chocolate Doom -> Simon Howard (Fraggle)

but otherwise it's usually maps, which usually 4 clicks, maximum.

MAP06: Generic Mapname -> Sector -> Source Port -> Chocolate Doom -> Simon Howard (Fraggle)

The metagame is already getting stale for map pages.

Ok, let's see how far I get...

MAP14: Power Outage (Scythe) > Chaingun > Player > Voodoo doll > Incomplete healing from Gerald > Strife minor characters - Hub 1 > Programmer > Monster > Parameter > Doom95 > Doom engine >  Doom source code > Paul Radek > Doom engine > Source port > Chocolate Doom > Simon Howard (Fraggle)

Results: I need to go to bed. 

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Doom Arcade -> ZDoom -> Freedoom -> Me

makes 3

Doom Arcade -> ZDoom -> you
makes 2.

if zdoom is linked on a wiki page, the fraggle number is 2

5 hours ago, fraggle said:

At last, the day has arrived. Finally I'm the Kevin Bacon of Doom

Good4u

Ive just logged in, and saw this lol. Congratz dude! Better than 3 of your previous custom titles combined :D

My attempt: Christian Lian (darkreaver)->Community Chest 4->Cacowards->Cacowards 2015->You

The Oracle of Bacon allows you to (among other things) determine the lowest Bacon Number for any given actor/actress with an entry on The Internet Movie Database.

I also remember reading about a guy (probably more than one) who wrote a program to automatically comb through imdb and determine which actors/actresses had high Bacon numbers, all in an effort to join the "Hall of Fame" of people who found actors/actresses with high Bacon numbers (yes, this used to be a thing).

The question I now pose to Doomworld is: will someone do something like either of these (or both of them) with Six Degress of Simon Howard (or Six Degrees of Fraggle or whatever we've decided to call this game)?

5 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Six Degress of Simon Howard (or Six Degrees of Fraggle or whatever we've decided to call this game)?

"Fraggle Howard" does weird me out a teensy bit.

The most shocking thing to me about this is the fact Fraggle was on discord. Which discord? We miss you on IRC!

Ah, so easy.

Beldin (some Strife dude) -> Strife -> Chocolate Doom (see? It's all due to Chocolate Doom!) -> fraggle

I wish FraggleScript also lived a good life.

1 hour ago, printz said:

see? It's all due to Chocolate Doom!

actually, when i discovered the game, it was all due to links to fragglescript and SMMU

From every page:

From every page, if you have the default desktop skin with the left-hand menus:

A random page: E1M7: The Crypts (Heretic) --> Gargoyle --> Sound --> Simon Howard (fraggle) (3).  But someday, we will compare multiple node builders in each "Map data" subsection, at which time there will be a link to BSP (node builder) and it becomes 2. :D

@Xeriphas1994 I would consider use of the Monaco sidebar to be cheating for this kind of game, since the menu links do not imply any sort of topical relationship between articles.