Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Trooper

Deimos Anomaly

I was playing Deimos Anomaly and noticed that there's nothing that looks like a teleporter right where you start the second episode and the nearest one leads somewhere ells which doesn't match the ending of the first episode where you teleport to Deimos from Phobos and I don't think that fits the story? Why didn't the makers include one???

the deimos moon base is revealed to actually be in hell, so it's implying that you died at the end of episode 1 and went to hell

I don't know where i read this, but supposedly the thing about ep1 ending and ep2 beginning was that you died after teleporting and you woke up in the deimos base since it was already on hell and well... you died and went to hell. Made sense to me

But most the most likely explanation it's that the developers didn't cared that much for story so they didn't bothered with the continuity of ep1 and ep2

I would say @DMPhobos is right, both in the in-story reasoning and the real reasoning.

1 hour ago, Doom Trooper said:

I was playing Deimos Anomaly and noticed that there's nothing that looks like a teleporter right where you start the second episode and the nearest one leads somewhere ells which doesn't match the ending of the first episode where you teleport to Deimos from Phobos and I don't think that fits the story? Why didn't the makers include one???

I would also put this in the same category with asking questions like, why would the denizens of Hell put up Exit signs or have health, weapons, and armor lying around? You're getting too into the weeds.

Of course, if Sandy Petersen is to be believed (see @Revenant100's comment linked below), the demons in Hell worship and fear weapons, so maybe weapons and armor lying around makes sense.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/57270-things-about-doom-you-just-found-out/?page=201&tab=comments#comment-1830339

The main teleporter is there!!! When you "died" after episode 1(you travelled through a place between reality and Hell and Demons wanted to sabotage your arrival) you found yourself alive but none of your weapons are with you, just your pistol. The place you start is the  Deimos observatory and only your shotgun was able to rematerialize itself on the main Deimos teleporter (HMP and UV difficulty) 

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

the deimos moon base is revealed to actually be in hell, so it's implying that you died at the end of episode 1 and went to hell

Do you know how much that would suck for Doomguy if he died and went to heaven instead. How would he finish his quest then?

Let me just repeat for the millionth time that nobody dies at the end of the first episode.

Doomguy slays all the resistance in the dark room while you are reading the victory text of E1, then he wanders around a bit before the player is put back in his perspective at the start of E2. Simple!

The died at the end of episode 1 to get to Hell for episode 2 goes with the time travel theory in Doom 2 to prevent Doom from happening. Death doesn't save humanity. The only thing to save humanity is going back to Wolfenstien era to kill your own father as a boy. I assume because Doomguy and Betruger are brothers or something.

9 hours ago, Memfis said:

Let me just repeat for the millionth time that nobody dies at the end of the first episode.

With the exception of two pinkies, a handful of spectres, the bruiser brothers and a few unlucky bastards in the ambush room.

I dunno, I thought Romero had said in the past that the player was killed and went to hell, but I dunno for certain. He did later say otherwise, that you did get back into the action.

I mean of course no one dies though because the floor type literally does not allow you to die. heh

ed: I have to place blame on this thread for getting "I Sawed the Demons" stuck in my head. fuck e2m1 is my favorite episode starter map

Edited by InsanityBringer

Indeed, you definitely do not die at the end of episode 1. It just nearly kills you as the teleporter that the demons tampered with transports you momentarily into a very inhospitable place somewhere in hell and you NEARLY die before the teleportation process completes and you appear at the beginning of episode 2 on Deimos, which is now floating above Hell. In the chaos, you have lost most of your equipment, your armor was torn to shreds and you just managed to heal yourself before continuing on.

All this "you died" nonsense is just nonsense, because your health simply can't drop to 0 ergo you DO NOT DIE.

1 hour ago, Ex Oblivione said:

I don’t think he died, the demons just gave him a good scare. Than he was transported to the shores of Peterson.

More like a nightmare for Doomguy to experiment the true horror of imps and pinkys scratching

ONCE YOU BEAT THE BIG BADASSES AND CLEAN OUT THE MOON BASE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN, AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S YOUR FAT REWARD AND TICKET HOME? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO END THIS WAY! IT STINKS LIKE ROTTEN MEAT, BUT LOOKS LIKE THE LOST DEIMOS BASE. LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE STUCK ON THE SHORES OF HELL. THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH. TO CONTINUE THE DOOM EXPERIENCE, PLAY THE SHORES OF HELL AND ITS AMAZING SEQUEL, INFERNO!

This always reads like you died to me. You die which is a twist since you just "won" and now you're on the shores of hell and can't escape without fighting through it.

What exactly is the argument for doomguy not dying? I really don't understand, nobody has actually said anything other than "your health doesn't drop to 0"...

...which obviously doesn't make sense since the ending is left intentionally ambiguous as a sort of cliffhanger to further encourage players to buy the rest of the game to find out what happens next. 

It's only revealed that you died and went to heck after beating episode 2 because directly killing the player at the end of episode 1 would have confused and disappointed most players.

It's not even really about the story, it's just a marketing tactic to increase player excitement and sales.

I find the theory that the player dies at the end of E1M8 to get to Deimos (which is in hell) incomplete. You can die anywhere in Doom, but that won't ever resurrect you in hell, fully capable.

Let's add one more factor: the player reaches the UAC-built teleport gateway from the Phobos Anomaly and that allows him to "survive" the death into the hell-Deimos Anomaly. I wonder what would have happened if the player wasn't ambushed and slaughtered by demons, trying to teleport into a missing moon: would he die for real? Or, due to the same kind of death, end up in Deimos once again?

This has an interesting consequence: any teleportation that needs to go to hell is going to "kill" you without really finishing you off. This explains why you lose your equipment in Doom 3 when you go in the hell level. It can also mean that you're immortal whenever you're in a gateway of hell. Think about this when you design your next wad... and how the player can take advantage of it!

The whole E1M8 looks creepy and alien. E2M1 also looks alien and similarly architected. Both of them are "Anomalies", their buildings look the same seen from outside, and they're apparently linked. I guess UAC used alien and poorly understood technology to attempt teleportation, and this led to their doom. Who are these aliens? The spiderdemon-kind? Or ancient Martians?

Edited by printz

On 3/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, Memfis said:

I mean, I don't think those barons are getting pieced back together...

1 hour ago, printz said:

This has an interesting consequence: any teleportation that needs to go to hell is going to "kill" you without really finishing you off.

There's a certain logic to that. You would be teleported, possibly to the Deimos Anomaly, and end up surrounded by overwhelming odds. However, the denizens of Hell being all about torture and whatnot would likely just beat you to a pulp and then take you somewhere to be tortured further somewhere else. Maybe they put you somewhere to be guarded by a weak zombie (because, hey, you're half-dead) and you escape and take a pistol with you, a la the beginning of Wolfenstein 3D.

1 hour ago, printz said:

The whole E1M8 looks creepy and alien. E2M1 also looks alien and similarly architected. Both of them are "Anomalies", their buildings look the same seen from outside, and they're apparently linked. I guess UAC used alien and poorly understood technology to attempt teleportation, and this led to their doom.

This would fit the general trend in entertainment of the hubris of scientists in their rush for technological advancement leading to their downfall.

They found ancient teleporters on the two moons, put their by someone, did some testing and all Hell broke loose (literally), pulling Deimos into Hell, but keeping the two teleporters linked, thus keeping the portal and allowing for the demons to come through.

To take it a step further, there was, undoubtedly, some staff scientist (either the new postdoc or the senior scientist who was a few weeks away from retiring) who questions the wisdom of moving the teleporter project to the next phase, but was voted down by a group of directors of research who were being pressured to meet unrealistic goals set by a group of project managers at UAC's headquarters who needed to justify their request for further funding from some sort of internal review board.

3 hours ago, printz said:

I find the theory that the player dies at the end of E1M8 to get to Deimos (which is in hell) incomplete. You can die anywhere in Doom, but that won't ever resurrect you in hell, fully capable.

Let's add one more factor: the player reaches the UAC-built teleport gateway from the Phobos Anomaly and that allows him to "survive" the death into the hell-Deimos Anomaly. I wonder what would have happened if the player wasn't ambushed and slaughtered by demons, trying to teleport into a missing moon: would he die for real? Or, due to the same kind of death, end up in Deimos once again?

This has an interesting consequence: any teleportation that needs to go to hell is going to "kill" you without really finishing you off. This explains why you lose your equipment in Doom 3 when you go in the hell level. It can also mean that you're immortal whenever you're in a gateway of hell. Think about this when you design your next wad... and how the player can take advantage of it!

The whole E1M8 looks creepy and alien. E2M1 also looks alien and similarly architected. Both of them are "Anomalies", their buildings look the same seen from outside, and they're apparently linked. I guess UAC used alien and poorly understood technology to attempt teleportation, and this led to their doom. Who are these aliens? The spiderdemon-kind? Or ancient Martians?

But dying in Doom does lead to resurrection :D

Anyway, reading your post I was reminded of Star Trek transporter logic in which technically every teleportation event kills you in one place and reconstructs you somewhere else. I wonder if that could factor in at all. Besides the fact that like others have said this was just a hook to get people to buy the registered version and not actually something that was ever thought about by Id for more than two seconds. It’s still fun to think about though, been confusing me for decades.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, Memfis said:

I once heard the guy in the next cubicle say: "Shit! Shit! Shit! I can't believe I didn't beat DooM shareware!"

And then he leaped through the plate-glass window and plummeted down to the pavement nineteen stories down.

I'm pretty sure that guy died at the end of the first episode.