Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

spectral pain elementals

i'm gearing up to create a community project, making a resource and dehacked pack as its basis and I just dehacked Cacodemons away cos I want their frames and placing a "Cacodemon" on the map now actually places a spectral pain elemental. any thoughts on why this is a terrible idea? =P

A barely visible fuzzy blob belching lost souls? That's not really that much different than a visible blob belching lost souls, except that you may be more likely to miss it and be bombarded with lost souls coming from seeming thin air.

As long as the lost souls were ordinary lost souls and not themselves spectral, it seems to be a slight nod in the direction of increased difficulty, and the only downside to this change is the loss of cacodemons (which would be a loss of monster variety).

(Personally, like @Nine Inch Heels, I like cacos, but that's not the point here.)

Now, if the lost souls were also spectral, that would be EVIL.

Make the lost souls spectral, too.

I remember once making a stealth pain elemental that shot stealth lost souls. But I never unleashed it upon the world.

18 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Spectral anything that's not a pinky just gives me flashbacks to Valiant MAP32 :|

Those stealth viles in that map were not something I enjoyed a lot, to be perfectly honest.

What's with all these dumb threads coming up lately? What exactly is a "spectral pain elemental"? You had to remove the cacodemon to gain more frames, so I assume it's not just an elemental with the fuzz effect. Did you really mod anything or are you just talking randomly about an idea you think is crazy?

Would it be possible to keep the caco and still have this spectral PE? Honestly it seems like an interesting idea, provided people don't end up abusing it too much, heh.

Fully invisible is cheating. Barely visible means that it's fair and if the player doesn't see them, it's their fault.

I once made a lost soul (called "lost specter") which is invisible and immaterial most of the time, until attacking you, during which it charges at you and shoots (weak) plasma. There's also the pain elemental variant (called "life force") which is also invisible and immaterial, and only appears when out of your sight, spawning a lost specter. You need to turn really fast to be able to see and damage it.

Here's a download link for an Eternity mod where the lost souls and the pain elementals are replaced with these monsters.

LostSpecter.zip

etrn45.png

On 3/14/2018 at 8:36 AM, Catpho said:

Dont be discouraged Yakfak! Do what you want :)

Exactly! As an alternative, you could instead replace the Wolfenstein guys, as they're not used much. Then you could still have cacos.

I'm guessing that Spectral Pain Elementals are either partially, or fully invisible Pain Elementals. That actually sounds pretty tasty! 

12 hours ago, kb1 said:

Exactly! As an alternative, you could instead replace the Wolfenstein guys, as they're not used much. Then you could still have cacos.

That's not a bad idea. You would lose the ability to do Nazi-inspired levels, which isn't that much of a loss, in my opinion.

:)) I should've thought of that sooner really

teh problem is that I play a lot of Doom 1 releases so I get my fill of Cacodemons really really quickly

and half the time they are placed as timewasters rather than threats (Distorted Memories has some great Cacodemons though)

so I got it in my head that they were the least valuable monster

You can always replace the Commander Keen, too! Or the Boss Brain, if you don't care for that kind of cliche final battle.