Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
savagegrant

Complete /idgames Archive Downloads

On 3/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, savagegrant said:

Sure. I can combine the contents of the 16 zip files into one big 39.9 gigabyte zip file if you know of a fast and free host for the file.

Ah, I didn't think of that.

To the naysayers: When a file is transmitted via FTP (or any other single file move/copy), your OS has to, at a minimum, write a directory entry to the drive, write the file contents to a different part of the drive, then update the directory entry with file info. Point is, single file moves can be slow, especially with tons of teeny files (like most zipped wads, text files, etc.). Downloading a single large zipped file is *a lot* faster.

So, if you've never downloaded the archive, the fastest method is to download savagegrant's zips, and *then* update it via FTP.

However, if you already have most of the archive, just use FTP to keep it current.

Easy Peasy. That's why these zips are a good thing, on top of the fact that there's safety in having more than one copy around. Thanks, savagegrant!

9 hours ago, kb1 said:

Ah, I didn't think of that.

To the naysayers: When a file is transmitted via FTP (or any other single file move/copy), your OS has to, at a minimum, write a directory entry to the drive, write the file contents to a different part of the drive, then update the directory entry with file info. Point is, single file moves can be slow, especially with tons of teeny files (like most zipped wads, text files, etc.). Downloading a single large zipped file is *a lot* faster.

So, if you've never downloaded the archive, the fastest method is to download savagegrant's zips, and *then* update it via FTP.

A torrent would be faster still, I think, the contents are packed for transmission in a similar way. But it relies on there being seeders, and the archive.org torrent is too out of date at the moment to be a useful bootstrap. So, modulo  Mediafire availability, these ZIPs are likely the fastest bootstrap at the present time.

(another nice feature of torrents is automatic block checksums)

Doomworld should really host a full /idgames torrent. Maybe once we get the ability to add a block storage volume. Although that would end up costing somewhat more...

I could offer 20GB with unlimited traffic permanently (@strato.de), but unfortunately, not more..:-(

That’d probably do with a little  headroom. Idgames was 11G in 2013.

7 hours ago, DoomGater said:

I could offer 20GB with unlimited traffic permanently (@strato.de), but unfortunately, not more..:-(

Very generous!

On 3/16/2018 at 1:37 PM, Linguica said:

Doomworld should really host a full /idgames torrent. Maybe once we get the ability to add a block storage volume. Although that would end up costing somewhat more...

I might be able to cough up some support. If you get to that stage, send me a PM, if you would.

Resurrecting this thread to ask if you're going to include more updates in external archives link. 

Just stumbled across this thread.  If need be I can host the file on my website (which basically has nothing lol).  I have unlimited storage space / bandwidth, or so they claim.  Send me a PM if interested.

8 hours ago, WoofDg79 said:

Just stumbled across this thread.  If need be I can host the file on my website (which basically has nothing lol).  I have unlimited storage space / bandwidth, or so they claim.  Send me a PM if interested.

Nobody ever actually offers unlimited storage space and bandwidth. The difference is, a provider that tells you that you have X storage and Y bandwidth, you have some idea when you might be approaching X and Y what will happen. When they say unlimited, what they really mean is X and Y are secret.

To add further to that, If it truly is unlimited, you'd be paying the big bucks for it, since the hosting provider would have to be prepared for the kind of traffic sites like Amazon receive.

If you look closer in your T&C's it probably states a maximum daily usage or something to that effect.

you can use wget i did it this night file count 25,555 total 12,5 gb just for the levels i dont need other stuff it worked

use the windows frontend winwget get them from the berlin server is faster