Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RaphaelMode

Standing Up - the chairless moment of glass-filled struggle

That's what I suspected... perfection can be effortless. One day I just sat down, and watched this WAD make itself in front of me. One custom texture turned the lack of decoration from a design convention into social commentary. And then gameplay occurred, and it was good as well.

This one short map has all the good qualities you can expect from me, and enjoyable gameplay on top of that! It can be hard at first, but familiarizing oneself and developing a strategy is a game changer. My current UV Speed record is 19 seconds, and my new ambition is to complete the level on Nightmare! I added the glass-preserving secrets to make it more doable.

The level requires some kind of ZDoom.

RM_STAND.zip

STANDING_UP_SCRRNNSSHHTTT.png

Beat it in 37 seconds. Not able to beat it without the use of secret areas, however. Was secretless tested? I'm sure it's possible for someone more skilled than I, but it certainly feels like it was intended for the player to locate the secrets.

All in all "It's okay". Funny gimmick, not-so-fun gameplay. Plays like a puzzle map mostly. Solid effort though.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:05 PM, Dragonfly said:

Beat it in 37 seconds. Not able to beat it without the use of secret areas, however. Was secretless tested? I'm sure it's possible for someone more skilled than I, but it certainly feels like it was intended for the player to locate the secrets.

It most definitely was! All the secrets were implemented only after I achieved my 19 second record. It was all about maintaining momentum on the way to the Berserk, and probably a lot of luck too. But if you take your time, it's a lot more doable! There's a lot of potential for strategy, which is helped by all the glass letting you see the monsters all the time, rather than only when they're about to attack you!