Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

zekhmet project - calling bugtesters and FDA folks! (NINE maps done)

@yakfak Edit:The most weird looking level i have ever made is MAP01 from Hills. The most common maps i make are normal key hunt with a small hub area. 

Edited by Finnthemapmaker

On 7/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, Xaser said:

@yakfak I'm tempted to suggest putting that map at the very end of the pack and leaving it in a "can't exit" state, because that'd be Maximum Weird and thus be very in the spirit of the project. :P

@yakfak

This is an interesting idea that Xaser had. One way that I could think to implement it would be to have the last submitted level (whatever number that ends up being), followed by a congratulations map (i.e., it just has a big text graphics that says "Congratulations!" or "You've finished Zekhmet!" or something like that). The congratulations map will have a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt somewhere off in the void that will, after a certain amount of time, pass over the walkover exit line, which would take you to your exit-less map.

That way, you still get the "weird" ending of sightseeing in a big, empty map as well as still having the "congratulations" ending for those who would feel cheated by not having some sort of "ending."

It might be nice if the last map was Map 11, so you could have a text screen explaining that you were stuck on this abandoned alien world, with no option to explore, etc. etc. etc. and then go to the Congratulations map in Map 12 and the empty map in Map 13. Perhaps that would be far too standard and not in the spirit of this project, but it's a thought.

@yakfak Few things to ask.

Can i use Gzdoom builder?

What format should i use?

Can use things like 3d floors or slopes?

For how much maps are we aiming for?

34 minutes ago, Finnthemapmaker said:

@yakfak Few things to ask.

Can i use Gzdoom builder?

What format should i use?

Can use things like 3d floors or slopes?

For how much maps are we aiming for?

hey GZDoombuilder is totally fine, that's what I use. others use DBX and that's fine too

aim towards Boom compat, so avoid 3d floors and slopes and stuff. Boom can't understand scripting or mapinfo so if you've got gimmicky ideas you have to attempt them with the generalized linedef effects!
and as long as we get eleven maps I'm happy, cos that's how many tunes there are in the pack, but room can be found for more!

sorry I haven't checked out your map yet, been busy

11 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@yakfak

This is an interesting idea that Xaser had. One way that I could think to implement it would be to have the last submitted level (whatever number that ends up being), followed by a congratulations map (i.e., it just has a big text graphics that says "Congratulations!" or "You've finished Zekhmet!" or something like that). The congratulations map will have a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt somewhere off in the void that will, after a certain amount of time, pass over the walkover exit line, which would take you to your exit-less map.

That way, you still get the "weird" ending of sightseeing in a big, empty map as well as still having the "congratulations" ending for those who would feel cheated by not having some sort of "ending."

It might be nice if the last map was Map 11, so you could have a text screen explaining that you were stuck on this abandoned alien world, with no option to explore, etc. etc. etc. and then go to the Congratulations map in Map 12 and the empty map in Map 13. Perhaps that would be far too standard and not in the spirit of this project, but it's a thought.

mmmm all this is true yet I do intend to finish my map :3 but you're right, a "Congratulations!" map would be desirable for a pack like this. and if it does line up with Map 12 then that's perfect cos that's where the intermission text lands. if there's time at the end of teh project we could all pitch in together and make a theme park where all you can do is walk around and meet snails, with a huge vantage point in the centre which when you climb it reveals Thanks for Playing writ large on teh ground, or something!

Gathering Moss in my mind is the first map because it'll set up what happens later in the set - given the levels everyone's submitted it should be possible to naturally describe Doomguy arriving on an abandoned island and uncovering a mysterious settlement with a portal that sends them into a weird kaledioscope hell world

6 hours ago, yakfak said:

we could all pitch in together and make a theme park where all you can do is walk around and meet snails, with a huge vantage point in the centre which when you climb it reveals Thanks for Playing writ large on teh ground, or something!

I think that would be the perfect cherry on top of this project if we made something like that!

Going to start working on my third map for this, and I'm going to use the MAP01 tune, just as a heads up to anyone else working on this project. I have a dumb idea and I want to see how "fun" I can make it.

I think I'll do a small map for this project. This one intrigues me!

I've got a prototype for my map. It's beatable, but I'm not quite satisfied with the gameplay or detailing yet. I'll probably post it tomorrow.

Alright, this is a bit early. I present Portrait of Moire's Sister?

Note: I feel this map may need some tuning. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Also, the map is in the map07 slot, and uses the sector 666 tag. However, this tag is not needed, and is really only used for an easier way to get to a secret (which can still be accessed without it.) It uses the map07 music, though I feel map04's music could work too.

@obake

i played on ITYTD so don't ask my opinion on the combat, giggle. generally I like fighting the cybie with the plasma gun so I was pleased with that; the archvile at the end being friends with cacodemons was strange cos you know the player'll retreat into the corridor where cacodemons are useless and the vile can't see you. maybe there's more action on UV but it seemed like a non-fight!

this could use a little more decoration and lighting but I like the idea of the portrait room! thanks for submitting, hope you'll revise it just a little <3

6 hours ago, yakfak said:

@obake

i played on ITYTD so don't ask my opinion on the combat, giggle. generally I like fighting the cybie with the plasma gun so I was pleased with that; the archvile at the end being friends with cacodemons was strange cos you know the player'll retreat into the corridor where cacodemons are useless and the vile can't see you. maybe there's more action on UV but it seemed like a non-fight!

this could use a little more decoration and lighting but I like the idea of the portrait room! thanks for submitting, hope you'll revise it just a little <3

Thanks so much for the kind words! I especially agree about the last fight. I've changed it to make it more challenging, and added more detail and better lighting. I will upload the second version today.

bumping with stupid news
the map I was making is too big and regions just go into noclip mode which means it is more or less tanked completely
one for the bin

thanks for the update obake, somehow I missed it before. I'll update the first post soon with yr map <3

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

the map I was making is too big and regions just go into noclip mode which means it is more or less tanked completely

Nooo I hope you don't mean gathering moss! That one seemed really interesting and pretty! I hope there's a way you can salvage it

^ thanks, I might have done just that. a lot of sky sector space needed to be pruned and the contraptions needed to be tidied and i should be within safe map parameters again for now :3

let's assume the september deadline ain't happening; there's at least three maps being made now and I think it'd be better to commence tidying and finishing when they're all delivered! sounds sensible?

11 hours ago, yakfak said:

let's assume the september deadline ain't happening; there's at least three maps being made now and I think it'd be better to commence tidying and finishing when they're all delivered! sounds sensible?

You saved me the trouble of asking how solid you were on the September 1 deadline. So, seeing as how I was going to ask you about it, I think your plan sounds sensible. Yes, that's a self-serving statement to agree with your assessment, but that's how it goes sometimes.

How much longer are you considering?

i'm toying with the idea of replacing the imps sprites with the Sekhmet (or is it Bast? The stalking cat goddess enemy!) from powerslave for obvious thematic reasons. would that be cool? i probably would not change the imp's actual functionality beyond animation quirks. I know I started the thread saying every resource should be community made but frankly the project needs more cats >:)

Edited by yakfak

bump so I can complain that Bastet is like 100 pixels tall while the imp is more like 56 lol

trying to work out if i wanna fall down the rabbit hole of redrawing fifty sprites in a lower res and in the doom palette

I've got nothing to do with this project, but I'd just like to say that I'd appreciate an imp sized Bastet. It would be cool for use in any Egyptian themed map set.

^ that might take a lot of practise to achieve lol

1023795778_signsarebad.png.a478c275675e201320b35bd73fd1fd4f.png

on teh left, 28x56, on the right, 48x96

you lose so many details and this is probably the easiest sprite of the set to redraw

(not intending to pretend that i am an amazing pixel artist)

Edited by yakfak

I don't know if this is still thematic enough, but you could always take the Egyptian Imp enemy from Osiris. I think it's based on Anubis rather than Bast.

thanks, interesting suggestion :3 but this isn't really an egyptian themed set, i was particularly looking for cats

@Finnthemapmaker gawd, gzdoom format stuff is weird, I can't trim the file in slade in order to make it compatible at all :)) if the level is zdoom-only i probably can't use it, but maybe you could make a video of the level to show us what we're missing?