Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

zekhmet project - calling bugtesters and FDA folks! (NINE maps done)

41 minutes ago, Scorpinax said:

Hmm, these maps look super interesting. I would offer to help, but i'm afraid i'm just not as good of a mapper as what i've seen on display here. I bring it up because zany maps are kind of my forte.

Might play through some of these interesting looking maps in the meantime though, i'll be keeping an eye on this project

sounds good :3 im sure the map authors would be grateful to see some demos if yr willing

On 3/13/2019 at 11:24 PM, NoReason said:

Made a few visual changes, nothing drastic has been done as I liked the fights as they were. Also fixed that sprite clipping issue, I apologize for taking so long for so little. Link is the same as the original post I made for the map.

thanks, great work :3 don't worry about time spent haha I still haven't put any combat in my map

Interested in this & looking forward to trying some experimental WADs. Which map should I try first that you feel most represents the flavor of this map set?

From the few maps that I've played, there really is no good map to play to get a feel for what's included in here. If you wanna explore what the textures have to offer, maybe riderr's map is the most... conventional? I dunno.

@z_bill thanks for teh interest :3 everyone's had fairly disparate ideas so far and if there has been agreement on how to use the texture it has been "scattershot"! difficulty is all over the place ranging from almost impossible levels to ones with no monsters. i would check out Prickled by ^dobu above us which has demanding fights and ammo moments but is striking and fairly easy to follow - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1862827

grab the resources then try "prboom-plus -file zek1res zekmus1 prickled1" to play :3

secondly, I wanna reiterate that there's still time for mappers to jump in :3 of course there's a may project underway and you might already be working on yr own personal projects but if a really strange idea occurs to you that might not make sense in a conventional release, we probably want it!

my map has gotten too ambitious both for my laptop and for my brain. im not sure I'll actually be able to contribute a level to my own project anymore, sorry about that >:3 im just really not a mapper. at least I got to make all the music and suspicious graphics!

Do you still need some art for this? I'm getting pretty into the modding scene and would like to help, but haven't dove into relearning  mapping yet. 

I could whip up some original skies or textures or props. What's needed/wanted?

I really like the Dying Earth sorta feel of this project (anyone else read Jack Vance?) with the decaying civilization mixed with nonsense/gonzo, goofy fantasy names, etc. (Esp evident in Dobu's story. I hope at least part of that is used!)

It's too bad you don't feel you can contribute a map yourself anymore. What about collabing with someone else? I'm sure you've got some interesting geo at this point at the very least!

Also, I can't download the resource pack or the midis from the other thread, they always time out. Can someone email them to me or do a Dropbox link or something?

1 hour ago, z_bill said:

Do you still need some art for this? I'm getting pretty into the modding scene and would like to help, but haven't dove into relearning  mapping yet. 

I could whip up some original skies or textures or props. What's needed/wanted?

I really like the Dying Earth sorta feel of this project (anyone else read Jack Vance?) with the decaying civilization mixed with nonsense/gonzo, goofy fantasy names, etc. (Esp evident in Dobu's story. I hope at least part of that is used!)

It's too bad you don't feel you can contribute a map yourself anymore. What about collabing with someone else? I'm sure you've got some interesting geo at this point at the very least!

Also, I can't download the resource pack or the midis from the other thread, they always time out. Can someone email them to me or do a Dropbox link or something?

hey thanks for teh encouragement :3

as for brand new art we could use a title page and a credits page
the dryad image i drew should probably be part of it but other than that i have no specific guidance; if yr up for creating something from whimsy with a big "zekhmet" written on it then i'd love to see it... probably a 320x200 image in the doom palette

the textures and props are already provided, but an alternate sky would be really exciting!

lemme post an alternate link to zek_proj for you right here (the one in the original post still works for me but maybe it's some arcane firewall disagreement at work)

i haven't read much jack vance, im a jg ballard and philip k dick and ursula k leguin person but the recommendation is good :3

zek1res.zip

Let's not let this project totally sink, all the maps we already have are too cool and diverse to lose!
anyone working on anything, or looking for a project to join? cos here we are!

@yakfak if there are people who still working on their maps, just mention them and they got notification when logged. I also would not want this project to sink. Eight maps are already there and it is fairly good. Another time I seconded for new sky and alternate keys, e.t.c..

@yakfak

I'm still interested in the project, although I realistically won't have much time to make my map until sometime next month. Is the deadline still September 1?

I was making an intro image for it, but totally botched it, sorry. I had a good idea: Doom Guy turning into autumn leaves. But with the Doom palette and red leaves it looked super violent and didn't suit the project. I scrapped it, but still wanna help with a sky at least.

I've been goofing with the texture set mapping too. I might be able to put something together if I find time.

Like you, I'm much more interested with making a cool weird space than putting monsters in. Maybe we need to hire a "Monster putter inner" haha.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:04 AM, z_bill said:

Like you, I'm much more interested with making a cool weird space than putting monsters in. Maybe we need to hire a "Monster putter inner" haha.

I could certainly add monsters to your maps, if you wish. :)

I would love to participate, but unfortunately I'm already on too many projects. :-(

I'm looking forward to see it finished though

Edited by Noiser

15 hours ago, obake said:

I could certainly add monsters to your maps, if you wish. :)

Cool! I'll let you know when I've got something!

On 6/21/2019 at 11:58 PM, Pegleg said:

@yakfak

I'm still interested in the project, although I realistically won't have much time to make my map until sometime next month. Is the deadline still September 1?

hey i'd love a pegleg map!
sept 1st is the provisional deadline for maps I think and the point at which I'll have to get my organization brain back in gear. i'll probably allow fixing beyond that point but no new maps, and the idea in september would be to get all the other resources finalized and then ship immediately

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

hey i'd love a pegleg map!
sept 1st is the provisional deadline for maps I think and the point at which I'll have to get my organization brain back in gear. i'll probably allow fixing beyond that point but no new maps, and the idea in september would be to get all the other resources finalized and then ship immediately

Awesome! Then I'll get to work on it as soon as I have the chance.

35 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

you really need to work on the sprites

please elaborate!
if the graphics have errors I haven't spotted then please point 'em out; if you don't like their style then what can I say but fuck off

I was making a skybox. It's not done, but thought I'd see if this fits and/or is useful? If so, I might fine tune some stuff, make it less symmetrical, etc.

Basic idea is a big old impossible tree.

zeksky.png

that's a neat artistic sky :3 what happens when it's forced into the doom palette, any trouble?
i like it!

the maps in the pack right now all either use a moody green sky or else total pitch blackness but maybe a new weird skybox would convince another mapper to join in!

It should be in Doom palette already. I don't think I messed it up. It's a 255 color palette, grabbed it off the rsky from the wad.

I could switch the blue to green. I did go lighter on purpose tho. Also something I thought of after sending, does it need to tile horizontally?

ah excellent :3 it's just that that's a pretty unusual colour mood to elicit out of teh basic palette!
people do tend to notice if there's a big vertical seam in a sky texture, a little smoothing would make a big difference. but don't break yr back over it getting it perfect if you already like the way it looks, we can definitely use it

0sLMowk.gif

Got it in the game and fixed the seam well enough. It's a little washed out tho? What do you think?

new version:

R3h9mff.png

ALSO, I just wanna share this map I've been doing. you can't win and there's nothing to do but it might be fun to walk around, giggle
gathering moss

@yakfak I'm tempted to suggest putting that map at the very end of the pack and leaving it in a "can't exit" state, because that'd be Maximum Weird and thus be very in the spirit of the project. :P

@Finnthemapmaker

hey, go ahead :3 the texture and deh pack is a few posts up from here and the music pack is on the front page!

there's no "slots" or anything, so make anything that comes to mind and we'll find a place for it if it suits the set
what sort of maps do you make? maybe you could link the weirdest level you've made so far