Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

zekhmet project - calling bugtesters and FDA folks! (NINE maps done)

Is this a wip?

etEpN9K.png

jk, its just me messing around with the editor for the first time :P

5 hours ago, Catpho said:

just me messing around with the editor

every time you mess around in the editor you could accidentally end up making the best map ever!!!

Well that's how I motivate myself...

Did someone say experimental?

No promises other than me downloading the pack and messing around with it, though. Got a busy job, got a literal game pitch for a game in the Doom engine approved today (though it's a 5-minute casual game to hype the release of a mobile game)... Not much time to fool around remaining.

Eternity is Boom compatible, right? Specially the silent, invisible line teleporter effect? Been thinking on making a properly 4D map for quite a bit.

And now I disappear until next Sunday so I can make my #666 post be worth it. See ya later.

I started a speedmap using MAP04's music but it's extremely ugly, unconventional, and aggressively unkind geometry-wise. Will probably be the weirdest map I ever make, if I finish it... It's similar in philosophy to "Fightnancial Crisis" from THT, but instead of being my take on "weird 90s wads", it's more like "I hate Doom and everyone that wants to have fun playing it."

excellent! glad to have you both on board

don't worry about finishing imminently or anything, there's not a deadline yet, you can let the weird ideas sit and ferment and get weirder still :)))

^to be fair that is a magnificent kitty-kat :3

@riderr3 that's part of the puzzle of making a map for this :))

is it possible to make a gzdb config that comes with specially baked in texture themes? like the IWADs have Base and Hell and Outside and stuff? I kinda need someone out there who's more technically inclined to come up with something that supports the pack a bit better

i took your advice and put one of the midis on and just started mapping whatever insane ideas came out.... little worried about this one but oh well! :^)

image.png.4836f08aa43e5a06f746f6bd20967a5b.png

lol i like the track "Earthbye" for some reason, would really like to make some map out of it(something earthbound/mother series like), but at the speed im learning its gonna take awhile :P

Also fits the current mood im in after Jim Flynn is gone :(

Edited by Catpho

:)) you will have plenty of time to learn to map for this project haha, im too shambolic for deadlines

real shame about Flynn but he left behind so much good stuff! was watching some enigma demos and there's so much mystery to be had

I've been looking for some decent orange and silver skies but I just don't have teh art skills to make them loop

wonder if anyone else has any in the archives?

they don't need to be super 1024x256 things, single patch skies are good enough for me

If you have some decent orange and silver skies that do not loop, I may be able to use my art skills on them! Or you can use https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/make-seamless-texture.php, it seems pretty great.

In the meantime, I have a totally cute and cozy sky that's neither orange nor silver:

RMBG04.png.838acfe6dde1feffc17aa76fb1f69bba.png

This file is truecolor, but it converts really nicely. I took it from RPG Maker 2000 resources, resized it and made it tile.

Here's another contribution you didn't ask for! I didn't actually make it with this project in mind, but it's too minor for a thread and it incorporates your cute butterfly, so I might as well post it here. It's inspired by @grouchbag's idea for a vastly superior alternative to Tom Hall's -bubbies mode! This particular bubble replaces the soulsphere sprites.

bubble20a.gif.140ae24b7c4db8ba393a630773f7c960.gif Gifted by the Grouchbug! bubble20a.gif.140ae24b7c4db8ba393a630773f7c960.gif

that sky is neat as heck, might make a patch for this later. new soulsphere is also cute :)) interested in what other people think and what they're doing...

have seen dobu posting some mindblowingly odd shots in the doom screenshots thread

I just made a wall-mouth that vomits rockets, so my map is going well. Should be done with it some time next week. I think the only problem with the sky is that it's not... surreal enough? The texture set has a very earthy look to it, but it's also really wacky and unconventional, whereas that sky replacement is very... plain? Needs like, silver trees with orange leaves or something.

Prickled! is fantastic, so many corners to explore, so well scripted and the secret toadstool made me laugh a lot

i'd love to see a UV demo cos frankly I went in on ITYTD lol and the cybie still shot me in the face

are there co-op starts in here? is that the sort of thing we're gonna worry about in this pack?

thank you dobu!

12 minutes ago, yakfak said:

Prickled! is fantastic, so many corners to explore, so well scripted and the secret toadstool made me laugh a lot

i'd love to see a UV demo cos frankly I went in on ITYTD lol and the cybie still shot me in the face

are there co-op starts in here? is that the sort of thing we're gonna worry about in this pack?

thank you dobu!

Co-op could be cool, but it depends on you ;)

I personally dont find it necessary with this project.

prickled is BRILLIANT

here's an FDA: prickled1

some comments - bearing in mind i know you are an evil bastard who loves hurting the player ;)

- the green area is amazing and trippy, but the infinite height + lost souls once the 'floor' disappears feels unfair. i got killed by one because he zoomed so high above me that i couldnt keep tabs on him or retaliate in any way.

- you can cheese the cyberdemon/AV fight. i actually did it unintentionally because i fell back out of the arena, and then realised i couldnt use the RK lift to get back in because mr cyber was at the door. i guess either put a teleporter so you can warp back in without going through the RK door or close off the exit windows during the fight?

- ammo seemed fine to me on skill 4, i was aware of your warning in your post, but i didnt try to actively scrimp and save: 1 or two rev and HK punches i think? and then just the usual SG-imp, CG-humans, etc.

11 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Map is done! Download "Prickled! Roused by an Aggressive Autumn" here

Difficulties are included but since I know this map like the back of my hand, it might need a little more refining in spots—UV is a bit tight on ammo and health. I'm really happy with how this one turned out; it was a much needed break from my larger works.

That's what I call "twisted layout".

Also I seconded that
pack needs a new sky.

Oh yeah I'll definitely add co-op starts, forgot all about that. Also thank you yakfak for the fascinating texture set and fabulous music; it was really fun to work out of my comfort zone.

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

some comments - bearing in mind i know you are an evil bastard who loves hurting the player ;)

- the green area is amazing and trippy, but the infinite height + lost souls once the 'floor' disappears feels unfair. i got killed by one because he zoomed so high above me that i couldnt keep tabs on him or retaliate in any way.

- you can cheese the cyberdemon/AV fight. i actually did it unintentionally because i fell back out of the arena, and then realised i couldnt use the RK lift to get back in because mr cyber was at the door. i guess either put a teleporter so you can warp back in without going through the RK door or close off the exit windows during the fight?

- ammo seemed fine to me on skill 4, i was aware of your warning in your post, but i didnt try to actively scrimp and save: 1 or two rev and HK punches i think? and then just the usual SG-imp, CG-humans, etc.

- I'll try lowering the "real" ceiling. Generally I play like a madman and am always moving around, so I never noticed.

- Mmmm part of me likes keeping the cheesiness in since I feel it fits with the map (like how, for example, you can just run away from the final fight). I don't want it to feel like the optimal solution, but if a couple players want to cheat themselves of fun, then be my guest.

- Good to hear!

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Oh yeah I'll definitely add co-op starts, forgot all about that. Also thank you yakfak for the fascinating texture set and fabulous music; it was really fun to work out of my comfort zone.

- I'll try lowering the "real" ceiling. Generally I play like a madman and am always moving around, so I never noticed.

- Mmmm part of me likes keeping the cheesiness in since I feel it fits with the map (like how, for example, you can just run away from the final fight). I don't want it to feel like the optimal solution, but if a couple players want to cheat themselves of fun, then be my guest.

- Good to hear!

fair enough - i had real trouble moving around and then rocketing myself so i felt 'safer' to stick in a lower position, which obviously didnt help with lost souls going 'above' me.

on the cheese - that was my point that i cheesed myself out of a fun fight because the cyber blocked the door, so it wasnt the cheese the i objected to but the fact that the cyber can block the RK door completely. adding a teleporter wouldnt remove the cheese-ability :p

bump :)) i went quiet for a week there, unsuccessfully trying to put in some groundwork on the making money from music front

stuff still needed (tertiary) - a plot. the current thing is just "doomguy finds a cryptic, abandoned, overgrown settlement"

stuff still needed (secondary) - good golden/silver/orange skies, feedback on the volume level of the music, a config for gzdoombuilder and/or dave brubeck quartet builder

stuff still needed (primary) - more maps, more screenshots

im excited for what benjogami's brewing up and want to refresh this resource pack in people's minds and remind everyone that the concept is to create crazy person levels, whether they're intensely different on the gameplay front (incredibly difficult combat, total omission of combat, maps the player can screw up and lock themselves out of a win by failing puzzles or eating all the radsuits, the platforming and crushers zone, chainsaw-only bullshit or whatever else you can dream up), on the presentation front (check dobu's jagged wallpaper map!), insanely massive/mazy levels with obscured or misleading automaps, technical demos of stuff people have never before attempted in boom, conceptual statements or rants with only accidental gameplay... you can only disappoint us by submitting something "nice" :))))))))

On 3/14/2018 at 8:11 AM, yakfak said:

I've provided a new music pack and a resource pack here:

http://aanaaanaaanaaana.net/drop/zek_proj.zip

There's eleven new tunes - let's make maps to go with them! (check this thread for descriptions of them)

the resource pack contains many new amateur textures and flats along with new props and DEHACKED work to alter certain miscellanious behaviours.

There's a text file inside which should be helpful!

backstory:

Doomguy gets trapped on a world where it's permenantly autumn. A civilization has risen and fallen in secret and he's the first to explore it for centuries. no techbases.

let's brainstorm the specifics!

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

stuff still needed (tertiary) - a plot. the current thing is just "doomguy finds a cryptic, abandoned, overgrown settlement"

stuff still needed (secondary) - good golden/silver/orange skies, feedback on the volume level of the music, a config for gzdoombuilder and/or dave brubeck quartet builder

stuff still needed (primary) - more maps, more screenshots

Primary: I have an idea for a map for this, but I'll have to find the time to work on it (and listen to the music to figure out which track would fit best).

Secondary: I have no artistic, musical, or programming ability, so I can't contribute here.

Tertiary: I may be able to contribute to that. Let me think about it.

I thought about the plot. This is what ended up kicking around inside my head. Perhaps it's not so much a plot as a backstory, or the beginning of a story, but see what you make of it.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Years have passed since demons from Hell first invaded Mars and overrun Earth. Time has healed many of the scars left on Earth after you defeated the demons and drove them back to Hell. As the years have gone by, the truth behind the demonic invasions has slowly faded into myth and legend as those that witnessed them have grown old and died, leaving mostly second-hand stories to be told by those who were never there. For you, though, the memories of those battles remain seared in your mind, as fresh as the days you lived them. Because of that, you have remained vigilant, just in case it all happened again.

Long ago, you retired from active duty in the Marines, but quickly found that a passive life of liesure and relaxation was not for you. Although the gray hair speckling your head and the lines around your eyes betrayed your age, physically you felt almost as spry as those bygone days, and you longed to, once again, be a part of something bigger than yourself. As a result, you found yourself pursuing a career with the UAC as their new head of security. The longer you worked at the UAC, the more you found the thought creeping into the back of your mind that part of the reason that you were hear was to ensure that they would not endanger the world again. However, very little of what you saw harkened back to the wild research days prior to the first invasion. You were beginning to think that the UAC had learned its lesson about dabbling in things they did not understand.

One day, word reached you that a program manager had found a collection of old teleportation data and some papers on slipgate physics and had joined forces with a team of junior scientists and engineer to bring a new "transportation" project to fruition. By the time you heard about it, the experimental setup was nearly complete and you were too late to stop the work. All you were able to do was gather your team and rush to the lab, just in case the worst happened. As you entered the lab and the saw you, you heard this exchange between two members of the experimental team:

"What is he doing here? Get him out of here!" The first yelled.

"He's the head of security. He has the right to go anywhere he deems necessary. We can't force him out," the second replied.

"We don't know what will happen. He could be in danger," the first pleaded.

"Look at who you're talking about. I don't think we should worry whether he can take care of himself," the second stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

The experimental team had constructed a man-sized gate that was wired to numerous relays, switches, meters, and other controls. A large conduit delivered power to it. The displays on the controls read out a series of steadily increasing numbers as the power flow to the gate mounted. Suddenly, the lights in the room dimmed and there was a flash of light from the gate. Reflexively grabbing for your sidearm, you shielded your eyes until the light faded. Once it had, you looked again and saw a shimmering wall of crackling energy between the walls of the gate. After a handful of heartbeats, this shimmering wall was replaced with a view of part of the rolling coutryside of Earth. After a few moments, that scene was replaced by the rugged terrain of Mars. This process repeated itself, changing periodically to show a different vista, some familiar, others alien. The scientists scrambled to take readings and record data as you watched the scenes shift, with the time lapse between each shift slowly growing. As you watched, you saw all manner of creatures in these vistas, but never anything that resembled the demons you dreaded returning.

After several minutes, the scene stopped on an image of a windswept plain, evidently on a distant world. The sky was a silvery-orange, lit with a pale light from a single distant star. Clouds drifted through the sky, casting faint shadows on trees filled with orange, yellow, and red leaves, reminiscent of autumn foliage. Ruined buildings dotted a landscape that seemed empty of beings. As you gazed at the vista that seemed to stretch out before you, you unconsciously began to drift toward the gate, looking in wonder at this distant planet, and its ruined remains of its civilization, wondering what happened to them. Before you realized it, you were just outside an arm's length from the gate.

There was a sudden surge of power and an alarm started to blare. Sinewy bands of energy crackled out from the edges of the gate, surrounding you, pulling you toward the threshold of the gate. In an instant, you were gone, being hurtled across space toward the autumn world that you had seen. As you lost consciousness, your vision first blurred, then went black.

In an instant, you open eyes, finding that you are lying on your side. Rolling over, you push yourself up and stand, slowly checking yourself for injuries. Finding none, you gaze up into the silvery-orange sky, just in time to see a fleeting crackle of shimmering energy fade from view. Running a hand through your gray hair and then down your face, your lips tighten as you survey the scene before you. Taking stock of your situation, you realize that you are trapped on a distant, unfamiliar world that appears devoid of all inhabitants. Perhaps the scientists and engineers would be able to reopen the gate, you think. Possibly, they would be able to trace the energy signature to this place, you consider. You weigh your options, reaching the conclusion that you can either sit down and wait to see if either of those prospects occurs or you can explore this new world and try to find another way home. Putting your hands on your hips, you pat your sidearm and grimly nod to yourself. Turning slowly in a circle, you look at your surroundings again. Seeing no obviously clear direction that you should go, you exhale sharply and begin walking toward the horizon.

*********************************************************************************************************************************