Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEBaratusII

Davilion (Eight Level Community Project)

Here is a video of the map I'm working on :

Hello everyone, I did some thinking about starting a community project, I usually have been learning more mapping in Doom. The name of the project came when I looked at my HP Pavilion CRT monitor in my room, and rhymed it with "Davilion". The story is not much, but however the final level will take place of killing two Cyberdemon's (just like the Barons in Knee Deep in the Dead.) and going to the portal to beat the game.

Anyway here are the guidelines :

- IWAD : Doom 2
- Mapping format : Limit Removing
- Slaughtermaps are sort of allowed, just not too many monsters like in Chillax or NUTS.WAD
- Deadline : When it's Ready ;)
- Only use the DOOM2.WAD texture set
- Make sure the map is both coop and singleplayer friendly
- How many maps : Eight Maps (Just starting small)

- The maps will be a mish-mash of themes, and size too (it can be small or big.)

- The maps should be designed around pistol start

* If the map does not meet those guidelines upon submission, it will either be modified or rejected *

Slot are open, if you have any questions or suggestions just be sure to ask.

MAP01 - Open

MAP02 - Open

MAP03 - Open

MAP04 - Open

MAP05 - Open

MAP06 - Open

MAP07 - Open

MAP08 - Open

Edited by Baratus 95 : changes to the guidelines.

The good news is that you're starting small, especially since you're relatively new to the forum. It will probably be easier to put together an 8 level mapset versus a whole 32 map megawad.

A few questions about guidelines:

• Are you shooting for an overall theme? Or are you content with a mish-mash of themes (e.g., Map01 Techbase, Map02 Hell level, Map03 city level, Map04 blood level, and so on)?
  • Do you have a preference for size of maps? Do you want relatively short maps that you can finish in 4 or 5 minutes or lengthy maps that will take 45+ minutes to complete?
  • Should maps be designed around pistol start? Or are you planning to have a progression in difficulty from Map01 to Map08, with the assumption that players will accumulate weapons as they go along?
  • Do you want deathmatch included, too? Or just single player and co-op?

And to follow up with @Pure Hellspawn said, you should probably plan to provide at least 1 map (hence, screenshots). Otherwise, you're basically asking for 8 people to make a mapset for you. And that's typically less well-received.

Just some helpful advice (I'm not interested in making a map): define a theme or concept for the project. Now you have an origin story for the project name, but apart from that, the instructions are just 'make maps that aren't slaughtermaps', which won't go anywhere. Take a look at community projects like Mutiny, THT: Threnody, Mayhem 16, Super Mayhem 17, Confinement 256, and 50 Shades of Graytall -- just some of the first projects to come to mind, take a look at everything you can -- and you'll get a sense for how to pin down a goal for your project.

22 minutes ago, Baratus 95 said:

Keep the difficulty between HMP and UV

Also it would help to clarify what this means. "HMP and UV" on what? Doom2.wad? 

I'm kind of interested. Perhaps if some more people show interest, I'll make something for the project. I'd like to know the answers to the questions above, though, regarding the guidelines.

2 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

i don't see this going anywhere without screenshots, or a demo. just a heads-up.

Included a video of my work of my map.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

The good news is that you're starting small, especially since you're relatively new to the forum. It will probably be easier to put together an 8 level mapset versus a whole 32 map megawad.

A few questions about guidelines:

• Are you shooting for an overall theme? Or are you content with a mish-mash of themes (e.g., Map01 Techbase, Map02 Hell level, Map03 city level, Map04 blood level, and so on)?
  • Do you have a preference for size of maps? Do you want relatively short maps that you can finish in 4 or 5 minutes or lengthy maps that will take 45+ minutes to complete?
  • Should maps be designed around pistol start? Or are you planning to have a progression in difficulty from Map01 to Map08, with the assumption that players will accumulate weapons as they go along?
  • Do you want deathmatch included, too? Or just single player and co-op?

I,ll go for mish-mash of themes and size, small or large is fine. Maps should be design around pistol start, and it's just intended for single player and coop, No deathmatch needed. Going to edit the OP.

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Just some helpful advice (I'm not interested in making a map): define a theme or concept for the project. Now you have an origin story for the project name, but apart from that, the instructions are just 'make maps that aren't slaughtermaps', which won't go anywhere. Take a look at community projects like Mutiny, THT: Threnody, Mayhem 16, Super Mayhem 17, Confinement 256, and 50 Shades of Graytall -- just some of the first projects to come to mind, take a look at everything you can -- and you'll get a sense for how to pin down a goal for your project.

Also it would help to clarify what this means. "HMP and UV" on what? Doom2.wad? 

Yes, might need to check out those community projects sometime, I was going to mean that just not too many monsters like in Chillax for example.

oof, just watched that video

it seems that you are still quite new to mapping, so i have little faith in your ability to lead and compile a project

with no central theme, (i'm sorry but) a very low quality map, and no experience, i don't see this heading anywhere except for disaster

call it quits now, improve on your mapping for a few weeks (or months, if necessary), do whatever you need to do to ready yourself, and then try again with a more coherent project

i'm sorry for being so mean ;~;

edit: 

3 minutes ago, Baratus 95 said:

Ok I understand, yeah still new to mapping in Doom, might as well call it quits till I get more experience in mapping.

whoa mama i didn't think you would listen to me so quickly!! i feel so influential

don't go like editing the OP and title saying "cancelled" and stuff just yet, i dunno how other people feel and if they agree

never listen to bonnie except sometimes

i'm an awful person sittin here sending you conflicting messages oh my goodness

i'm so sorry best friend

Edited by bonnie

7 minutes ago, bonnie said:

oof, just watched that video

it seems that you are still quite new to mapping, so i have little faith in your ability to lead and compile a project

with no central theme, (i'm sorry but) a very low quality map, and no experience, i don't see this heading anywhere except for disaster

call it quits now, improve on your mapping for a few weeks (or months, if necessary), do whatever you need to do to ready yourself, and then try again with a more coherent project

i'm sorry for being so mean ;~;

Ok I understand, yeah still new to mapping in Doom, might as well call it quits till I get more experience in mapping. till then gotta get good at mapping. :)

Love the random way you came up with the name.  Gl with the project

@Baratus 95

I agree with @hella knight, put out some maps by yourself. You'll get feedback and you can learn from them. Don't be intimidated by other people's "this is my first map" submissions that are multi-level mapsets that take advantage of all sorts of advanced features and have new sprites and textures and a rather high level of quality. Don't worry about them. Start out small and work your way up (which is advice you will see all over the place on these forums). You can take what you learn from the feedback you get and apply it to your next maps and keep getting better.

@Baratus 95

I would also suggest that you consider submitting a map to one or both of the Doomworld Mega Projects for this year (Doomworld Mega Project 2018 and Doomworld Omega Project 2018). The general idea is that you submit a map by the end of the year and, as long as it meets the rules and isn't malicious, your map gets included in the megawad that gets submitted to idgames. The size, theme, difficulty level, etc. generally don't matter. It doesn't matter if you're a legend of Doom mapping or you just started two days ago.

DMP 2018 this year is a bit more restrictive than past years because the ZDoom family of source ports is excluded (i.e., map must be vanilla, limit-removing, or Boom only) and you have to have a video of yourself finishing your own level on UV, but it should be a relatively attractive project to a newcomer.

DOP 2018 is less restrictive because you can submit a map for any format and you don't have to worry about finishing your own map. Less complex formats are still accepted, so it should also be attractive to someone new to mapping.

Neither has had a lot of activity thus far (DMP has 2 maps, DOP has none), which is a little surprising since they were both posted in the first half of January, but most of the levels come in later for those anyway. For DMP 2017, almost half the maps (25/52) were submitted in October, November, or December, with 13 or those 25 coming in the last week of the year (including mine, submitted on 12/30).