Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Going go DM with someone who has never used a computer - what would the fairest keyconfig be for them?

Will definitely disable freelook since they might be particularly bamboozled by using a mouse.  I'm guessing that any dwango map is going to be the best for the guy?

use classic doom controls but use Z and X instead of CTRL and space bar for firing and opening doors 

I dunno, having freelook might actually be better since it will feel more like real life that they are used to.

Teach them the ever popular "WASD" keys, but for doom and its glorious physics, A/D would be better as strafe left/right rather than turn left/right. Mouse movement to aim; Mouse2 = shoot, Mouse1 = strafe_on (strafe speed = max), which doesn't have to be used initially but helps make you move faster... Use = F/E/whatever is within comfortable reach. Always Run = on, of course!

That config allows them to just start holding down W to go forward, while aiming/steering with the mouse, and shooting where necessary. From there they can try strafing left/right with WA or WD while aiming/steering. Seems like it might be a good starting point if they're mature enough to use a few keys together.

you should probably start with map01 of shoot!.wad, it's the most popular map ever made.

Posted (edited)

god damnit @Decay get outta here with that garbage

dweller2.wad or pyrrhic_.wad instantly come to mind as "feeling classic Doomy" while still being easily accessible for new players. I think Evo's suggested control scheme is perfect.